Author Topic: chadz, wth are you doing to strategus ?  (Read 5843 times)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
Re: chadz, wth are you doing to strategus ?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 01:28:03 am »
+1
because it kills trading.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 01:36:13 am »
I played one of those browsergames for several weeks where you build troops, attack at some time and capture villages. It was fun at first but after some time it was really timeconsuming, forcing me to do things every few hours not to fall back. I hope strat isn't heading this way.

Tribal wars? If so I know what you mean.

I get you chadz and I actually support this. I do think there should be a low profit alternative though. Working for a baker/blacksmith/etc for 10 gold an hour or something. Enough to cover the rent and a little extra. Not profitable enough to deter people from trading but giving an alternative for people that don't want to get too involved.

It is your game though and you did say things will be finetuned. So let's just see how things go.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 01:45:19 am »
+1
Nerfing gold gained from crpg is not the same as buffing trading.

There are so many ways to spend gold, and so very few ways to gain it. There needs to be more options.

Offline Goretooth

• Duke
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 02:30:42 am »
+1
I like the gold gained from playing crpg now doesn't need to be higher.

Braeden - Clanless maybe? or Free Peasant not sure - Rarely plays, plus might be retarded
Tydeus - Nord EU Scum - Hates adminning

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 02:34:19 am »
The best way to encourage active players and toss aside inactive players is to increase the amount of gold gained from playing crpg. I don't understand why it moved the other direction.
That's not strategus activity, that's crpg activity.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA
  • Game nicks: CSA_Gen_Robert_E_Leet
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 02:41:37 am »
+3

The problem is the quadruple nerf to gold production (removing working, increased upkeep, 4x equipment cost, nerfed crpg gold) has made gold SO RARE that no one can afford to use any of the new features in strategus, especially the average joe.

No one can craft items cause they can't afford to, and there would be no one who could afford to buy them even if they did make some.
No one can afford to equip a force large enough to take any fiefs.
No one can form caravans because the start up costs are too high.

Here are some numbers --

Cost to field 500 troops.
(click to show/hide)

Cost to field a caravan
(click to show/hide)

Anyway just to show how crazy the gold situation is - it takes 18x longer to equip a soldier as it does to recruit him.
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 02:42:39 am »
As an alternative to trading, why not raidin? Razing a village without capturing it in some form or another, taking their wallets, raping their womenz etc.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 02:48:54 am »
Yet again strategus is changed, normaly i applaude the changes but this last ones... wel are totaly stupid and out of context of a war game.

WHAT?!?!

What do you think a war game is?

Two armies clashing on a field for the hell of it?  That's not a wargame -- that's a battle server and we already have that.

Proper wargames need things to fight over.  The more reasons to fight, the better.  Implementing trade routes in an "open PvP" world is the best thing a wargame can do.  It promotes a great reason for fighting: you took my stuff.  Or you took my clan's stuff and now my clan is going to run your clan out of town.

Wargames need a war and the best way to have a war is over a combination of land, resources and money.  Even Starcraft, which can only barely be considered to be a wargame, has fights centered around control of resources.  Without that, it's just a "battle simulation with a map".

It also means that Strategus now has the following roles to fill:
a) Trader.  Runs from town to town making money.
b) Crafter.  Sits in villages and crafts stuff, probably with money given to him by his trader friend.  (The trader may also be picking up these crafted goods and selling them to other players.)
c) Mercenary.  Rents his services to traders that get jumped.
d) Vagabond.  Jumps traders and steals their stuff.
e) Soldier.  Captures fiefs.  Also assists allied traders.
f) Recruiter.  Goes to castles and raises armies.

Most clans will have most of these functions and many people will do more than one thing.  For example, if you don't want to do trading then you may be handed money and told to go craft stuff, or raise troops, while additionally being on standby to join fights as necessary.

Without the trade system, you lose almost all of this interaction and have a much more shallow game, hardly worth calling a "wargame".
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 03:11:26 am »
+1
Assuming 50 troops and 50 goods -

Time to recruit 50 troops: 50 manhours
Cost to recruit 50 troops: 250 gold
Time to gather 50 goods: 50 manhours
Cost to gather 50 goods: 400 gold
Cost to equip 50 troops: 10,600 gold
Time to gather 11,250 gold @ 12/hr: 937 manhours

Total cost: 11, 250 gold
Total manhours: 1037

I do think troop equipment prices are way off.

I don't think the value of your troop's helmets should grossly outweigh the value of the goods in your caravan.

Typical Strategus bandit conversation:
Bandit chief: "We are going to hit this trade caravan at dawn!"
Bandit noob: "I hear they are transporting ale!  How much does that sell for?"
Bandit chief: "You idiot!  Nobody cares about trade goods!  It's their HELMETS we want!  Those things are worth a fortune!"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:12:40 am by Slamz »
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 03:13:15 am »
+1
Why? Thats what annoyed me the most in last strat, hordes of inactive players that produce gold just because of their mere existance. Why should I add a position in a game for someone who doesn't want to play the game in the first place?

Strategus was never supposed to be "strength by numbers", it was supposed to be "strength by strategy". Having a bunch of inactive serials sitting around to define the gold everyone gets is not a game worth playing, let alone coding.

Of course, this doesn't mean that everything is perfectly balanced. Lots of things will be finetuned.

And for those who don't know what to do or how to conquer fiefs or gain money, read the guide here (tba)

I just feel like the current system supports hoards of relatively inactive crafters instead. They just have to be slightly more active in making transfers...aka traders have to bug them to log in and transfer a lot more if you actually want to see the profit. But essentially they are still doing exactly the same thing. If one of them gets low on gold, then the person with the most gold simply has to transfer across to them to keep production going.

If anything, it just makes management harder, but there will always be people willing to do it to get ahead. Not sure how you could design it so that inactive players effectively become useless in strat, but with the much smaller player base due to only being full actives, adjust prices of everything so they can still generate the funds needed.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:15:16 am by Overdriven »

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 03:28:11 am »
I just feel like the current system supports hoards of relatively inactive crafters instead. They just have to be slightly more active in making transfers...aka traders have to bug them to log in and transfer a lot more if you actually want to see the profit. But essentially they are still doing exactly the same thing. If one of them gets low on gold, then the person with the most gold simply has to transfer across to them to keep production going.

Exactly

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 03:32:09 am »
Strength in numbers = Might = Might makes right > Strength by Strategy

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 03:43:41 am »
I just feel like the current system supports hoards of relatively inactive crafters instead.
This is fine, though, because in order to have a hoard of people crafting, you must have a pretty good number of people trading.

This is where the fights will happen: intercepting traders.  The old system meant that EVERYONE was in towns, all the time.  The new system means at least some decent percentage must venture out and run trade routes.  There's a lot more potential for action.

I think the fear is, "I'm going to have to run trade routes!  I don't want to be a trader!"

Well.... don't then.  Clans will still need people dedicated to crafting and recruiting.  They'll also probably want people out running around looking for enemies to attack -- enemy traders, as well as bandits after your own clan's traders.

I think this new plan is going to be action packed once we get the issues sorted out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:45:43 am by Slamz »
Norse Horde

Offline Slantedfloors

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Slanted
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2011, 04:15:36 am »
I think this new plan is going to be action packed once we get the issues sorted out.
Exactly. When issues like "No one is able to maintain an army" and "There is no money" get fixed, I'm sure these changes will work fine.

Offline Gingerpussy

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 251
  • Infamy: 224
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Gingerpussy
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 09:26:31 am »
+1
Why do you never listen to the player base chadz ? only time u listen realy listen and cared was the split of EU/NA,

So please tell me who want to sit one to two weeks to supply a caravan ?

Good luck with ur trading game,, at least i get to play some other game in 10 days ....