Author Topic: Smithing Skill - discussion  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Re: Smithing Skill - discussion
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2011, 03:02:43 pm »
Could be horses are working fine but tend to get 0'd out due to the nature of how people use them.

I dunno about you guys, but I can't be cavalry 100% of the time.  I made a cav alt and had a great time until level 26 with a pile of cash saved up and I was broke before I hit level 28.  Most people will switch to a cheaper horse or else just play infantry to build up cash.  The ratio of "time spent as infantry" to "time spent as cavalry" is, what, 3:1 or so?

That would do it.

You get "all thine hard work" once with your Large War Horse and that's 3 points.
You get it three times as infantry and you now have 0 Large War Horse points, because you lose a point each time you get that message while not on your horse.

Just a theory.

Theory B is that "horses don't get points".
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 03:41:36 pm »
One thing that has been bothering me.

To get the message, did you have to actually HAVE a heirloomed item equipped? I gave away all of my looms to a clanmate and kept playing without them. I never got the message after that.

It would be totally OK if the message just was for crafting heirlooms, but if crafting would be the way to equip armies, this would really penalize those of us who play without the heirlooms.

If I'm right in my speculation, would it be possible to introduce a third chadztext? One that can come no matter what and gives you crafting in "normal" equipment and make the old chadztext only give you crafting points for heirlooms? Also, if you got the "normal crafting" message while having a loomed item, it would just add to the "normal" version of that item.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Beat

• Mighty
  • Knight
  • Renown: 71
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 03:48:28 pm »
So, we are currently thinking about changing the smithing skill, especially how one gets it. What I like about the smithing skill: It gives clans the ability to produce their preferred items cheaper, as well as their heirlooms.

Anyway, I'm not going into detail what our ideas are or how it works currently, but instead:

What is, in your opinion, a gameplay enhancing way to distribute smithing skills?

Remember what chadz is asking us.  He's looking for a way to distribute smithing skills.  Although some of the ideas I've seen here are very interesting, I think they are getting away from the point of this thread and perhaps too complicated.  The more complicated it is, the harder it will be to program and balance.

Using single player Mount and Blade as a guide, I think it can be done in a very simple way.  Just give everyone exclusive smithing skill points each time they level up.  They cannot be converted to attributes or skills and you cannot get more of them by sacrificing other stats.  The ability to respec these points for a fee but independent of the rest of your character would be nice as well.

I believe there are a little over 700 items currently in game and our characters have 9 fields(places to put gear, not "slots") in which to equip items so perhaps having somewhere between 30 and 90 smithing skill points at level 30 would be a good place to start.  You could then choose which items to put points into and the points would work in the same way they do now for the sake of simplicity.

That being said, I like some of the other ideas I've heard here like the ones that encourage factions to have a consistent look in their gear and perhaps be known for what weapons they bring to a battle and therefore add a bit more strategy when deciding how to counter them.  I love the idea of, for example, one faction being known for their uniform of surcoat over mail with mail coifs and mostly wiedling red tassel spears, arming swords and crossbows.  That is how historical armies outfitted themselves after all and the factions from single player Mount and Blade as well.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2011, 04:27:37 pm »
+1
At the very least do not penalize people for being higher than level 30
Just a soldier

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2011, 05:28:15 pm »
At the very least do not penalize people for being higher than level 30

What is the point of retiring then?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2011, 05:29:11 pm »

Has there been a point for the last 5 months??
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2011, 07:03:21 pm »
Why do so many people suggest that everyone should get "smithing points" or whatever equivalent idea they propose.

In medieval times smiths were valuable because of their rare skill. Not everyone knew how to make a sword, if you want to be a smith you should have to make sacrifices. Not everyone should be a smith and if you want to do this work then you should have a character with the required skills.

I do not think it is good to have everyone smithing weapons on the side. It devalues the skill if everyone can do it. Why bother having a smithing skill if it is easily accessible to all, surely it should be something to give some advantage if you work for it. If we have some system whereby everyone can craft just got get slightly lower costs or slightly higher stats why bother? Just make the shop cheaper and possible to buy heirlooms and you have the same effect.

Being a smith should be a valued profession, not something everyone dabbles in. Factions should be fighting hard to recruit the most skilled smiths, not telling all their members to remember to set up their personal mini forge properly before they log off or some shit.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:04:39 pm by 22nd_King_Plazek »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2011, 07:08:49 pm »
Why do so many people suggest that everyone should get "smithing points" or whatever equivalent idea they propose.

In medieval times smiths were valuable because of their rare skill. Not everyone knew how to make a sword, if you want to be a smith you should have to make sacrifices. Not everyone should be a smith and if you want to do this work then you should have a character with the required skills.

I do not think it is good to have everyone smithing weapons on the side. It devalues the skill if everyone can do it. Why bother having a smithing skill if it is easily accessible to all, surely it should be something to give some advantage if you work for it. If we have some system whereby everyone can craft just got get slightly lower costs or slightly higher stats why bother? Just make the shop cheaper and possible to buy heirlooms and you have the same effect.

Being a smith should be a valued profession, not something everyone dabbles in. Factions should be fighting hard to recruit the most skilled smiths, not telling all their members to remember to set up their personal mini forge properly before they log off or some shit.
Good point. Although I still think it shouldn't be sacrificing your cRPG/strat battle ability, it should sacrifice something else.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2011, 07:19:49 pm »
(click to show/hide)

the unique thing about it would be the item itself that you can produce.  the system atm doesnt make you a smith,  just gives u the ability to make 1 kind of any item.  i think that is highly specialized enough.  you wont have more than 1 or two guys beeing able to make the higher tear items in any clan.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2011, 07:23:58 pm »
Actually, all of that gives me an idea. Why not dedicate one EU and one NA server specifically to crafting skills. On these servers, instead of earning experience, you get a minute chance at gaining the All Thine Hard Work message at the end of each round. Something along the lines of 1/1000. And each multiplier would multiply your chance of getting those skills at round end up to 1/200. However, gold and upkeep should work in the same fashion on regular servers.

This would be helpful as you can specifically take the equipment you want to improve in on this server. It also allows high level players a chance at gaining crafting skills. You just have to sacrifice experience in exchange. So anybody who's smart enough to leave crafting to others can go back to levelling

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2011, 08:11:40 pm »
this would fuck poor people and help out rich clans.  dont like : /
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2011, 08:20:25 pm »
this would fuck poor people and help out rich clans.  dont like : /
Are you referring to my idea specifically? Some other idea? Or smithing in general?
If it's my idea, I'm not sure what you mean. The gold flow would be just the same as playing on a regular server.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2011, 08:24:13 pm »
ah dam got it wrong though u were suggesting to not get gold. my bad

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2011, 08:50:50 pm »

gee... getting looms and xp boost and trying new builds.
what is the point of not retiring? not having to grind lots to be useful in strat.

oh wait thats right, not retiring means no smithing which means less useful in strat... so basically you get almost nothing for not retiring.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2011, 10:09:15 pm »
the unique thing about it would be the item itself that you can produce.  the system atm doesnt make you a smith,  just gives u the ability to make 1 kind of any item.  i think that is highly specialized enough.  you wont have more than 1 or two guys beeing able to make the higher tear items in any clan.

Yea except in the whole time I have played I never got that message so even if I wanted to be a smith it would be impossible for me.

There is a valid in game crpg reward for a smithing skill anyway as I suggested on page 1, lower repair costs.