Author Topic: Strategus patch - changelog  (Read 11066 times)

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
Re: Strategus patch - changelog
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 08:37:45 pm »
Read his post again. That's intended  :wink:

Ah, ok. I think I got confused and thought that it was the same as the items.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 08:45:38 pm »
+2
I'm not sure that tying the amount of good's you can carry to your troop amount makes any sense. Surely you should be able to carry as many as you want because the risk is if you get attacked you are screwed as such? Otherwise the gold making process is going to be hellishly slow and there's no real point in going long distances to trade, because the amount you earn from trading far off will probably be less than the amount you could have gained from crafting and just sitting there. Add on the fact you'd be paying upkeep for troops if you wanted to carry more, and you have no incentive to trade over long distances at all.

I vote for the ability to have trade caravans with 0 protection. No limitation at all on the amount of goods you can carry to trade.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:54:52 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 08:46:25 pm »
These changes are not bad simply because they are obscure and silly but because with such a severe restriction on producing and equipping troops. The amount of effort it will require a clan to raise an army will be so huge that if they lose they will be in such a horrible position they might as well quit. This also encourages army hoarding until you are certain you can win leading to no one wanting to make initial attacks.

That makes strat boring as fuck.

Kind of seems the intention is to remove the most enjoyable part of strategus - staging large, cool epic battles and adding to the most boring part of Strategus - micromanagement
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 08:51:31 pm »
+2
These changes are not bad simply because they are obscure and silly but because with such a severe restriction on producing and equipping troops. The amount of effort it will require a clan to raise an army will be so huge that if they lose they will be in such a horrible position they might as well quit. This also encourages army hoarding until you are certain you can win leading to no one wanting to make initial attacks.

That makes strat boring as fuck.
no that makes it EU  :P

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 08:53:06 pm »
+1
no that makes it EU  :P

I see what you did there. :|
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 08:56:31 pm »
Thanks chadz!

One thing I am still missing an official statement on (besides "figure it out") is how to GET the smithing skill.

We know it comes from within playing cRPG and has something to do with the armor/weapons you wear (btw, also for ones you do not longer own or have already heirloomed I noticed).

But what effects the likelihood of getting the mysterious text is still unclear.

(click to show/hide)
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 08:56:42 pm »
+1
I see what you did there. :|
^^
I'm not sure that tying the amount of good's you can carry to your troop amount makes any sense. Surely you should be able to carry as many as you want because the risk is if you get attacked you are screwed as such? Otherwise the gold making process is going to be hellishly slow and there's no real point in going long distances to trade, because the amount you earn from trading far off will probably be less than the amount you could have gained from crafting and just sitting there. Add on the fact you'd be paying upkeep for troops if you wanted to carry more, and you have no incentive to trade over long distances at all.
you are making an good point here.
i think it could either be an troop ---> expansional number of possible goods (until a certain limit.
or it could be chained to the amount of horses you own  :idea:  (pls add camel and equus africanus asinus, they could count for double the goods payload  :idea:)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:04:49 pm by Bjarky »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 08:58:20 pm »
or it could be chained to the amount of horses you own  :idea:  (pls add camel and equus africanus asinus, they could count for double the goods payload  :idea:)

That's actually a good idea. Adding some form of pack animal and giving it an ability to provide you a bonus to the number of goods you can carry rather than tying it to troops is a much better idea. That way you could actually see some more dedicated traders. Otherwise at the moment all you are going to have is a crafting/selling grind fest in villages because no one is going to want to take 30 goods (that's how many troops before upkeep right?) half way across the map only to make a tiny profit when it would probably be more profitable, or only slightly less profitable to trade in the home village and far less effort.

Having to actually invest in something would make it a much nicer system.

Edit:

That way you could also have proper trade agreements between clans and also neutral traders. The profit vs effort atm is very low. The system definitely needs to be changed if it's going to encourage trading over distance.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:09:44 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 09:02:27 pm »
Does this mean the place to be for recruiting are no longer the villages, but castles from now on?

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 09:02:46 pm »
For those looking for a simpler gameplay option, I highly recommend this:

http://progressquest.com/play/roster.html

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 09:14:16 pm »
+1

I vote for the ability to have trade caravans with 0 protection. No limitation at all on the amount of goods you can carry to trade.

For this + the too much micro complaints, it kind of depends on the balance, tweaking to make it worth it especially for large scale trading (profits - (time wasted+ management hassle+troop recruitment/upkeep costs)).

It looks like chadz' goal is to get a lot of large caravans in play, travelling inter-city routes, which is why cities are now marketplace hubs collecting production from smaller traders running out of local villages. Meanwhile larger clans/alliances (presumably larger clans will have people who ENJOY playing the micro game, to manage it all) will be operating inter-city trading routes between these hubs, and sending big 100-500 (or more?) troop sized caravans around between cities moving large scale volumes of goods across the map. The end result will be a lot more high value targets criss-crossing the map, so there's all kinds of battles taking place beyond the village CTF fest of Strat v2.0.

This is all in all a great idea and adding a lot of depth and more battles to strategus. It seems a bit intimidating since it is poorly explained and we all have nothing and are stuck on rivers but I think once the trade system gets rolling it will really add a lot.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 09:18:05 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I can understand the potential. I just don't think huge trading caravans of however 100's of troops will be profitable regardless of how you do it. Especially because you can't sell crafted items (higher potential profit) to towns and only to players which would be a pain in the arse. Only goods can be sold to towns and other settlements. Which are very low cost/profit. I would very much like to play the trading game and be one of those criss crossing merchants and I can see that many others also would. But right now the idea of trying to maintain the upkeep of lots of troops in order to transfer lots of good's is simply daunting. I just think you should be able to do it without troops somehow if you really wanted.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:20:45 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 09:22:45 pm »
+1
please increase speed. with the current state of low speed and having to stand directly on a fief to enter it... inever want to move on the strat map... expecially since there are lots of rivers where i am... i cant just click "go here" and then come back in 12 hours and be there... id be stuck on a river. so instead i just dont go anywhere. if you up speed a bit then people who are interested in trading can run around and do trading... right now itll take like 120 hours for a round trip that has enough distance to be really worth it... thats not fun at all.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 09:26:16 pm »
+2
I just think you should be able to do it without troops somehow if you really wanted.

I think you have a point there. The limitation was done when goods were buyable instantly - now, that they are produced one by one, this might be outdated. We'll think about it.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 09:27:32 pm »
I think you have a point there. The limitation was done when goods were buyable instantly - now, that they are produced one by one, this might be outdated. We'll think about it.

Good to hear :)