Poll

Should short One Handed cut weapons have a better sweetspot?

Yes, facehugging should be more effective with a facehug weapon
No, there is nothing wrong with the sweetspot
I have another idea to fix this (please post below)

Author Topic: [STATS] Fix the 1h sweetspot  (Read 1678 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
[STATS] Fix the 1h sweetspot
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:14:33 am »
+1
For short 1h cut weapons (that means excluding the picks, maybe the hammers), should the sweetspot on the weapons be more lenient to account for the fact that these weapons are very short?

Let me direct you to this older topic:
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,11139.0.html

It offers some food for thought.

This is apparent especially for the knives.

1h cut weapons already do low enough damage as is. If I'm caught in a 2-3 v 1 the shielders are always the easiest to deal with by far, due to their lack of damage and propensity to glance all the time + lower speed to catch me.

One shouldn't be able to just shrug off 4-5 hits from a 1h without much worry.

Agree? Disagree? Don't just vote, post too!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
Re: [STATS] Fix the 1h sweetspot
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:58:49 am »
Yes. And please increase the sweetspot for 1hs. The animation glance is just silly on them.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 06:45:26 am »
video plz, dont know what you'r talking about.

would be nice if 1h thrusts didnt get stuffed/glance while a 250 length long polearm can pointblank stab you

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 07:15:29 am »
would be nice if 1h thrusts didnt get stuffed/glance while a 250 length long polearm can pointblank stab you

O my god this. 

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 11:29:26 am »
Not sure what OP is on about. 1hs have the best sweet spots generally... especially in a group fight, everyone else glances..
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 12:06:52 pm »
Not sure what OP is on about. 1hs have the best sweet spots generally... especially in a group fight, everyone else glances..

no not really. 2h & polearms can kill you with wooden shafts and 1h get stuffed stabbing pointblank.  Although I'd much rather them fix hitslashing from 2h/poles before messing with 1h.  Its pretty stupid and ridiculous that 2h can get away with killing you with the first 1/3 of the weapon, which has gotten even worse with new hitboxes and shield nerfings.  Besides having little to no leverage, the first 1/3 of a long 2h weapon often wasnt even sharpened on swords, this is especially true for hand & a half weapons and full 2h weapons.

So instead of having to get good swings like 1h'ers, 2h get away with sloppy hitslashing, aka put my models hands inside your waist to get a free instant no animation hit, hits on people that should glance...or better yet, get them disarmed.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 12:08:53 pm by Digglez »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 01:04:06 pm »
2h and polearms can hiltslash, but to do that there can't be any teammates around, or their sword/polearm gets stuck.... so it still doesn't work in groupfighting.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Grok

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Grok, Queequeg
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 09:10:38 pm »
Hiltslashing works just fine in a group situation it just depends where the others are.  I get hiltslashed all the time in group fights.  It definitely feels like it needs to be tweaked but I also understand that requiring long weapons to only work at a particular distance is also a bit wonky.  Overall, it's probably not a big deal.  Pole stun however!!!

It does feel like I'm both glancing at a notably higher rate recently, while also not being glanced upon much more frequently...though this part was clearly by design.  So, yes, it does feel like there should be fewer glances within the normal 1H arc.  The death zone for 2H and Pole is huge -- I'm getting hit regularly by people facing away from me -- sometimes it feels like a 280+ degree arc rather than 180.

That said, I am enjoying my very short reach in siege hallways these days...of course these are few and far between, but nice nonetheless.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 09:50:20 pm »
I don't feel anything wrong with 1h sweetspot, seems fine to me.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 10:02:21 pm »
I wouldn't mind seeing 1h stab timings made a little looser. I feel stabs occasionally bounce when they shouldn't.

Other than that, the only time I see glances is when I right swing at close range (which isn't how the right swing is supposed to be used, so I have no problems with this).

The castor swing is fine. It gives 2h users a high-risk way to deal with overly defensive shield users. The counter is fairly simple, and gives the 1h user a free hit.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:05:14 pm by Vodner »

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 10:52:22 pm »
I guess I find it frustrating mostly when I see 2h using jedi techniques to hit folks while I have to rely on more conventional physics.  A particularly frustrating instance is when doing the turn+stab with a 1h sword.  It's a move which I've never seen whiff when done with a 2hander but which whiffs 30ish% of the time for me :(

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 11:21:00 pm »
Nothing wrong with 1h - I've been toying around on my alt and if anything they seem op to me.

Using the Iberian mace and/or the Italian Sword (+ a cheap axe) I've been getting comparable scores to my polearm main (mind you, this is with quite little 1h experience in the past, and using light armor and no shield) - mainly due to these reasons:

1. Damage: Using my 24/15 build I was easily killing people in 2-3 swings with my mace (people that usually take 4-6 swings with my poleaxe) due to the headhits.

2. Animations and speed: Using simple feints and holds (+ the occasional chamber) I was easily gettng past people's blocks. No turning, no trickery required just feintspam away. Sure you had to block once to get in range but since no advanced moves were required to get past people facehugging was no problem.

3. Short weapon in groupfights today = awesome. While my fellow 2h got stuck on everyone and everything (or rather, they played cautiously afraid of hitting teammates) when it came to big clashes I was happily flailing away at my targets.

...add to this the ability to carry a shield, the fact that your weapons take only one slot each and are cheaper (I was carrying around a sword for duelling, a mace for tincans and a cheap axe for shielders) and I don't see how 1h could be underpowered in any way.

If you want to hit stabs at point blank, you just need to turn like everyone else - what's wrong with that? If it doesn't work then you're just doing it wrong.

Dezi out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 01:22:17 am »
Nothing wrong with 1h - I've been toying around on my alt and if anything they seem op to me.

Using the Iberian mace and/or the Italian Sword (+ a cheap axe) I've been getting comparable scores to my polearm main (mind you, this is with quite little 1h experience in the past, and using light armor and no shield) - mainly due to these reasons:

1. Damage: Using my 24/15 build I was easily killing people in 2-3 swings with my mace (people that usually take 4-6 swings with my poleaxe) due to the headhits.

2. Animations and speed: Using simple feints and holds (+ the occasional chamber) I was easily gettng past people's blocks. No turning, no trickery required just feintspam away. Sure you had to block once to get in range but since no advanced moves were required to get past people facehugging was no problem.

3. Short weapon in groupfights today = awesome. While my fellow 2h got stuck on everyone and everything (or rather, they played cautiously afraid of hitting teammates) when it came to big clashes I was happily flailing away at my targets.

...add to this the ability to carry a shield, the fact that your weapons take only one slot each and are cheaper (I was carrying around a sword for duelling, a mace for tincans and a cheap axe for shielders) and I don't see how 1h could be underpowered in any way.

If you want to hit stabs at point blank, you just need to turn like everyone else - what's wrong with that? If it doesn't work then you're just doing it wrong.

Dezi out.
You used a mace though. Maces are awesome :D

It's the 1h sword that glances/whiffs all the time. Basically the reduced damage from hitting early/late in the swing on weapons that already do low damage against armour that cut are shit against, you glance all the time. It would be totally ok if if wasn't for the fact that everyone and their grandmother can jump around during combat and run around your attack. The fact that you can't turn at camera speed while sideswinging is also an annoying part. AND the fact that the sweetspot for 2hs are so big, makes it just so frustrating.*

Equal sweet spot for all the weapon, I say.

PS: Of course you are not gonna get any whiffing when you are going a 24 str, 8 PS mace build :P Compare the glancing/whiffing of a 18 str 6 PS 1h and a 18 str 5 PS 2h, and you'll get what I mean.

*For the record, the polearm "sweet spot" is not that different from 1h, but because of the range it's almost never a problem.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 02:44:33 am »
Happy about the feedback that many are fine with the 1h swords.

Most of this was from my experience fighting against 1hs that often dealt poor damage and glanced on my armor, as well as using some of the shorter non-pierce 1hs for a short amount of time.

I felt compelled to make this topic when seeing someone with a dagger glance at least 5 times in a row.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 02:45:44 am by san. »

Offline Kansuke

• Earl
  • Renown: 401
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Kansuke, LeRun
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 12:08:01 pm »

this !