Poll

Should short One Handed cut weapons have a better sweetspot?

Yes, facehugging should be more effective with a facehug weapon
No, there is nothing wrong with the sweetspot
I have another idea to fix this (please post below)

Author Topic: [STATS] Fix the 1h sweetspot  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: [STATS] Fix the 1h sweetspot
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 12:10:30 pm »
I would only fix 1h stab so it doesn't glance at pefectly reasonable ranges.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 02:15:43 pm »
Here I copy my post from the other thread for those who are too lazy to go over there and read it:

It has to do with the animation and the way the collision point is calculated.

The engine measures the distance from the right fist to the collision point. This is somehow then compared with the weapon reach stat. When you have a long weapon, this ratio of distance and reach changes slowly in terms of absolute distance along the blade. With a very short weapon, every cm makes a huge difference. Since collision detection is not perfect and works in discrete intervals, with short weapons you will get more extreme readings and very often effective "0" distance hits. The damage modification will also be more like full damage or min damage.

The animation between different styles (1H,2H, poles) also has an effect. Animations that extend the hand forward can in principle have the hand inside the target when it hits, while a different animation will hit farther away from the grip even though you face the opponent from the same distance. I do not know if 1H is more prone to this, but I rarely glance with 2H even if I am close enough to lick the nose of the other guy. Not thecase with 1H and 2H-poles.

Short weapons should have had in creased minimum damage, so daggers would almost ignore this distance vs. weapon reach damage modification mechanism. It was not introduced with daggers in mind.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 07:43:50 pm »
MouthnHoof, do you mind if I put that in the OP?

Anyways:

Current results as of now:

36 (yes)
18 (no)

2:1 in favor of yes at the moment.

I do not think this change would make anything unbalanced. The longer length cut weapons usually outshine the shorter ones in almost all regards, unless you're willing to accept the cons and use a shorter weapon.

I do not have much experience with stabs unless it's the warhammer's, so that is still negligible experience lol.

I don't think it should be much of a stretch to balance their sweetspot locations, especially since the shorter weapons aren't necessarily that much more powerful, while being less versatile (if it's not an axe) being more useless against cav and worse against mauls on average.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:45:14 pm by san. »

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 07:08:14 pm »
1h stab is tricky, could connect lil earlier without a glance...true.

Same goes for the last third of the stab animation...

In general it would make it too easy though, so i say, keep it the way it is :-)

Swings are fine.