Author Topic: Stronghold Test today on Eu4  (Read 21795 times)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
Re: Stronghold Test today on Eu4
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:03 pm »
+2
Yeah, i think i was on yellow, even though i missed most of the stronghold test because of dinner.

Next time i'll try to shout some instruction. From what i heard red had a few guys taking charge of building and they seemed to be much more successful because of that.
Fuck yeah, mah awesome building skillz! Just look at those fucking screens! That was, like, 15 minutes into the game and I'd just finished the back defenses and was finishing up the shitty outer wall that somebody else had started. Managed to make it good in the end.
(click to show/hide)

Was pretty hard to make people join my battalion so we could share resources. Worked pretty well in the beginning, though, and we got walls and stuff up. Lost a few people then probably because putting up the workshops took more time. In the end I was so to say alone and nobody wanted to help building the last defenses around the dummy. I guess it was because people were too busy fighting/upgrading the mines.

But this gamemode REALLY needs some anti-grief stuff and a way to make sure people ahd read the guide. Even with the password being in the Guide it was a lot of people in chat asking about how stuff works. Not as many as the previous times, so it definitely helped.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 05:42:52 pm »
Zapper, next time lets try and build minimal, functional and most of all tight defences around the dummy. Maybe add a second layer of walls later on if we have resources to spare. Our castle was so big and had two courtyards that it got inefficient... people spawned in courtyard B and had to walk a bit to get to the dummy. Also, we had too many gates.

Offline Vrael

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Vrael
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2011, 06:01:21 pm »
Just a question about download; Will I just put this in main cRPG folder or is this download thing an own module?

Still wonder. How did you it?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011, 06:22:23 pm »
+1
Zapper, next time lets try and build minimal, functional and most of all tight defences around the dummy. Maybe add a second layer of walls later on if we have resources to spare. Our castle was so big and had two courtyards that it got inefficient... people spawned in courtyard B and had to walk a bit to get to the dummy. Also, we had too many gates.
I know. The porblem was that it was other people building useless shit.

In the beginning i was basically encircling the dummy and our spawn, so to more easily protect it from attacks. Also putting up the gate right infront of the dummy was to make people naturally go there when they respawn and thus see that it was safe. (herding the randomers ftw!)

After that, when the dummy and spawn was completely encircled, I sent a guy to look for holes (tibberias over TS) while I put up two strategic staircases. It was then that I found out one idiot had made a wall RIGHT infront of the gate. *facepalm*

So I thought, fuck it, and started building workshops, since I now had a good open and safe space to build in (was going for tech rush).

Then, since the enemy kept running around our walls and destroying the back walls and only 4-5 out of 40 dudes actually bothered to go there, I had to quickly build a small palisade. That palisade worked for the rest of the game and kept people away from attacking our back (also helped that our technological superiority had pushed them so far back).

Now I had to go and fix up the frontal courtyard. Mainly because there where still people standing there trying (and failing hard) to expand it. I thought if I finished it up and it was made properly they would stop wasting resources on it and actually do something constructive. This worked as after I finished the outer courtyard everybody stop mucking around adding layers to the castle. You were right, though. It really was a waste of resources, but better that I finish it up than them keep on making it crap and wasting even more.

Finally, I was going to seal of the dummy (my original step after building the workshops) but now nobody seemed to want to help building. The dummy was even on less than 5% help and still people wouldn't donate resources to secure it. I had to wait (with a mighty 70-80ish resources per tick) until I myself had 3k and I STILL couldn't build. Seemed like most people had abandoned helping out building the base. Luckily our tech advantage and some dudes who kept guarding the dummy made us able to not loose it to the enemy. Still, very annoying that I couldn't finish the last piece of defences and start making more workshops (20 stables=free horses :D)

Then the game ended.

But really, It's better to have a fully encircled spawn+dummy than just encircling the dummy in the beginning. Not in a clan scim, but you kinda have to herd the randomers into defending. Thus making the only exit from spawn go past the dummy was the best idea. I also got the walls up pretty quick because of all the people donating resources (thanks guys!). It was later on that building donations stopped and I didn't manage to make a building in 5 minutes :(

Still wonder. How did you it?
Normal cRPG folder
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:24:56 pm by Zapper »
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline Tiberias

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tiberias
  • IRC nick: Tiberias
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2011, 06:57:31 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

DONT write a Tiberias with a double b !!!!  NEVER DO that again !!  FEAR the Winged Great Helmet !!

EDIT: Ok, now to the serious stuff:

It was less bugged, than the last test, and it was fun to play. I would mention to add something like a pricelist. Or different prices ( correct me if im wrong, but i think that all buildings cost 3k atm ?? ) for different buildings ( like stone and wodden walls )
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:04:22 pm by Tiberias »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2011, 07:01:19 pm »
(click to show/hide)

DONT write a Tiberias with a double b !!!!  NEVER DO that again !!  FEAR the Winged Great Helmet !!
I wrote Tibby first and then changed it to Tiberias. Forgot to take away the double b :O

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 07:04:36 pm »
(click to show/hide)

U mad Tibberias?

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2011, 09:33:40 pm »
+2
I was first on my main on the team with Jarlek and helped our team capture the middle mine (the one straight from the teams fortress). I was then fortifying it when I lost connection (i think there were 2 walls and a gate, or something like that). I then rejoined on an alt and was put in the other team, which had a pretty decent base at that time, though there were some holes in it which i fixed (sorry about the badly placed walls) as fast as i could since there were enemies right out of them.

Also a suggestion, this has probably been said elsewhere, but I think making two tiers of building: wooden and stone, with different stats would help. Wood would be cheaper and faster to build but destructible to normal weapons whereas stone would be quite a bit more expensive but NEARLY immune to normal weapons, making catapults an actual need or at least a good help against them. This would see a first defense rise fast and then get expanded with stone walls, and would allow near end-game to see actual charges of a lot of people teamworking (kind of like siege) to get a dummy, appart from the current sneak attacks.

Also, the lag from the previous test was reduced, even though there still was some (quite understandable with a lot of people plus buildings), and people had a bit more idea of what to do.

Cant think of anything else atm, but overall, great gamemode, I really like it

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2011, 02:14:10 am »
I was first on my main on the team with Jarlek and helped our team capture the middle mine (the one straight from the teams fortress). I was then fortifying it when I lost connection (i think there were 2 walls and a gate, or something like that). I then rejoined on an alt and was put in the other team, which had a pretty decent base at that time, though there were some holes in it which i fixed (sorry about the badly placed walls) as fast as i could since there were enemies right out of them.

Also a suggestion, this has probably been said elsewhere, but I think making two tiers of building: wooden and stone, with different stats would help. Wood would be cheaper and faster to build but destructible to normal weapons whereas stone would be quite a bit more expensive but NEARLY immune to normal weapons, making catapults an actual need or at least a good help against them. This would see a first defense rise fast and then get expanded with stone walls, and would allow near end-game to see actual charges of a lot of people teamworking (kind of like siege) to get a dummy, appart from the current sneak attacks.

Also, the lag from the previous test was reduced, even though there still was some (quite understandable with a lot of people plus buildings), and people had a bit more idea of what to do.

Cant think of anything else atm, but overall, great gamemode, I really like it
A FELLOW ENGINEER :D

Bolded part: That's a good idea. It would also make people take ladders with them (it still surprise me I haven't seen a single ladder except the one chadz took on saturday) and make catapults important.

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2011, 08:36:22 am »
Wonderfull gamemode, I agree with the idea of wooden walls that are vulnerable to normal weps and stone ones which require a catapult or a lot of people to smash down.
Would also be cool if you couldn't damage your teams equipment.
And, if as a wall became damaged, you could see it visually crumbling like the Strat walls. You would also be able to repair them with resources if you already can't. (Have they implemented that yet  in Strat?)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:46:19 pm by ToxicKilla »

Offline Centurion

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2011, 05:21:21 pm »
Wonderfull gamemode, I agree with the idea of wooden walls that are vulnerable to normal weps and stone ones which require a catapult or a lot of people to smash down.
Would also be cool if you couldn't damage your teams equipment.
And, if as a wall became damaged, you could see it visually crumbling like the Strat walls. You would also be able to repair them with resources if you already can't. (Have they implemented that yet  in Strat?)
would be dumb if u couldnt hurt teammates structures...i had to destroy soooo many randomly placed walls and builings in front of gatehouses and everything else. i was trying to make it look nice (actually lining up the walls with staircases and stuff) but ppl would place a builing inside of the wall which was also blocking the entrance to the gate house(dont see how thats helpfull)only reason i would like the idea is because these same dumbasses were destroying all the stables and other buildings i destroyed cause they thought they werent working....they clearly didnt read about it

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2011, 05:33:14 pm »
would be dumb if u couldnt hurt teammates structures...i had to destroy soooo many randomly placed walls and builings in front of gatehouses and everything else. i was trying to make it look nice (actually lining up the walls with staircases and stuff) but ppl would place a builing inside of the wall which was also blocking the entrance to the gate house(dont see how thats helpfull)only reason i would like the idea is because these same dumbasses were destroying all the stables and other buildings i destroyed cause they thought they werent working....they clearly didnt read about it
About friendly walls. They should be indestructible to your own team, but there should be a specific "demolitioner" weapon that can destroy friendly buildings and bring x% of it's cost back to your team. There should only be one of that item for each team to stop griefing.

Also another item apart from the hammer to take over enemy structures. Banners please :D

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2011, 06:09:31 pm »
... but ppl would place a builing inside of the wall which was also blocking the entrance to the gate house..

yeah that is annoying. chalk it up to inexperience though.

would be nice if you can't place a wall inside / over a gatehouse, but i'm not sure if / how that could be implemented

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:04 pm »
Hmm, good point. We just need more admins on to stop griefing I suppose.

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2011, 01:57:42 pm »
  I think need the option of choosing the Leader by vote. Which will have the right to kick players from the server. Then there will always be most trusted server admin.