Poll

Are permanent bans too harsh for offences like: Glitching, offensive language and trolling?

No. Shutting off people from the game they paid for is a just punishment for swearing.
41 (58.6%)
Yes, permanent bans are too harsh for offenive language and most other bad behaviour.
29 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: [Bans & Mutes] Permanent too harsh?  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
Re: [Bans & Mutes] Permanent too harsh?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 07:11:01 pm »
perm bans too harsh for bad language and bad behaivior !

people have the right to express their opinion (except Chinese ofc) and what about not crying about bad language? i mean this is not kindergarten is it?
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 08:38:54 pm »

people have the right to express their opinion

Really? They only have the right to their opinion here as long as the devs allow it. And seeing as people have gotten muted for expressing their opinion, I'd say people don't have the right to express (all) their opinions. Nyeh?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 09:02:29 pm »
+3
Try this:

Go to a restaurant.
Pay to eat there.
Take a giant dump on your table.

What happens?
a) Everyone laughs and good times are had by all.
b) The management bans you from the restaurant for 3 days because after all, you pay to be there and they want your business.
c) The management bans you forever and the next time you show up the police taser you while they drag you out because it's really not YOUR business they want, it's business in general, and people like you are bad for business.

Which is it?
[Jeopardy music]
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PK
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 11:53:38 pm »
Try this:

Go to a restaurant.
Pay to eat there.
Take a giant dump on your table.

What happens?
a) Everyone laughs and good times are had by all.
b) The management bans you from the restaurant for 3 days because after all, you pay to be there and they want your business.
c) The management bans you forever and the next time you show up the police taser you while they drag you out because it's really not YOUR business they want, it's business in general, and people like you are bad for business.

Which is it?
[Jeopardy music]

Is it a)? If not, I may have to run some tests myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here in PK, we're better than you! And we know it.

Offline nuffen

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Nuffen Fallen_Lilith Fallen_Little_Nuff
  • IRC nick: nuffen
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 01:02:26 am »
right.
Several obious flaws here
1. You haven't paid for c-rpg. This is a mod made by a group of people _for free_. C-rpg and Warband is two different games. Also, private warband-servers can ban you as much as they want, as this is servers people set up to play on, you don't pay them, and they don't get any money from you.

2. Your putting up a set of reactions that totally ignores what the reactions are for. You want someone doing some easy trolling to get the same punishment as someone repeatidly teamkilling tons of teammates just for the fun of it. You want someone who calls another player a dick to get the same punishment as someone who hacks the database and destroys days or weeks of gameplay.
Punishments needs to be adjusted to the crime. Thats why the 3 point lifetime sentence of some weird states "over there" is so absurd. If you kill and rape 50 people 3 times, you get the same sentence as if you drive drunk? Absurd.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 01:06:11 am »
+2
I am curious as to what the majority's view is on permanent bans and mutes.

I personally am not banned, and nobody I know is

Well I know that if I did something wrong multiple times, and got banned for a month, I definately wouldn't do it again

I have thought of thought of this, as I have played cRPG alot, and love it.

Note:THIS HAS ALL BEEN WRITTEN IN MY PERSPECTIVE

All reasons why you have made the choice not to do something to get yourself banned. You wouldn't do something again because you care about being able to play and so you wouldn't do it the first time. People who do get banned do so of their own choice.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:07:33 am by Warcat »
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 01:18:24 am »
Wait, are we voting on the death penalty here?

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 01:20:08 am »
Capital punishment for cheaters and extreme unruly folk, I like it!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:21:42 am by Warcat »
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 01:47:31 am »
right.
Several obious flaws here
1. You haven't paid for c-rpg. This is a mod made by a group of people _for free_. C-rpg and Warband is two different games. Also, private warband-servers can ban you as much as they want, as this is servers people set up to play on, you don't pay them, and they don't get any money from you.

2. Your putting up a set of reactions that totally ignores what the reactions are for. You want someone doing some easy trolling to get the same punishment as someone repeatidly teamkilling tons of teammates just for the fun of it. You want someone who calls another player a dick to get the same punishment as someone who hacks the database and destroys days or weeks of gameplay.
Punishments needs to be adjusted to the crime. Thats why the 3 point lifetime sentence of some weird states "over there" is so absurd. If you kill and rape 50 people 3 times, you get the same sentence as if you drive drunk? Absurd.

Ok genius, as a matter-of-fact, I am on the brink of being banned for 'offensive language'. I never TK intentionally, unless they tk me numerous times.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:54:15 am by Black Wind »

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 02:19:24 am »
Do we have a clear case example of a perma ban which seems unjust?  I don't know of one and, until we've got one in hand, I don't see the point in arguing over admin procedures.  Please keep it in mind, too, that admin-ing is often a cooperative process when it comes to major decisions.  I don't ban folks unless I know other reasonable folks, in-game or in teamspeak, wholeheartedly agree with me.  Perhaps I'm an exception to a rule but if I'm typical then I don't see where the OP's problem lies.

Offline nuffen

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Nuffen Fallen_Lilith Fallen_Little_Nuff
  • IRC nick: nuffen
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 07:58:56 am »
Ok genius, as a matter-of-fact, I am on the brink of being banned for 'offensive language'. I never TK intentionally, unless they tk me numerous times.

No one have threatened you by a ban, Im not even an admin. Please answer the post instead of strawmen?

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 08:23:52 am »
No one have threatened you by a ban, Im not even an admin. Please answer the post instead of strawmen?

Sorry, I misread your passage lol.

Well, despite cRPG and Warband being different, one is essential for the other no? The while purpose I bought this game, was for cRPG. This means cRPG is an indirect expenditure for me. So yes, essentially I paid to play it?

And in regards to teamkilling, that deviates from my argument based on "offensive language and glitching". I think trolling should be tolerated, providing that it is witty, and doesn't impede on others playable scenario such as tk/tw

I think intentional team damage shouldn't be tolerated.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 08:32:57 am »
+2

Well, despite cRPG and Warband being different, one is essential for the other no? The while purpose I bought this game, was for cRPG. This means cRPG is an indirect expenditure for me. So yes, essentially I paid to play it?

chadz never saw a cent of that money. When you bought that game, you bought Warband. You are not a paying customer of cRPG, because there is no such thing. If you manage to get banned from privately owned servers of a privately developped free mod, you have no one to blame but yourself.  I can't believe you are seriously using this argument as if it wasn't completely fucking retarded.

Incidentally, find me one instance of someone permabanned for "witty" trolling. In your opinion, how many people have been permabanned as of the start of cRPG? How many permabans does cRPG average over a month over the total playerbase? What were the reasons for those bans? What's that? You have no fucking idea? Colour me surprised (sarcasm). You have no numbers, no evidence, not even anecdotes, you're just making a whiny ass thread based on your gut feeling that maybe, at one point or another, someone has gotten permabanned for illegitimate reasons?  This entire thread just seems to be a way of trying to excuse away your own behaviour because some random person who isn't even an admin threatened you with a permaban. It's ok, you're not going to be permabanned unless you do something really bad. Stop being afraid.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:44:26 am by Oberyn »

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 08:55:20 am »
I like the new Oberyn. He is so full of win. In every single post.

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 09:10:06 am »
chadz never saw a cent of that money. When you bought that game, you bought Warband. You are not a paying customer of cRPG, because there is no such thing. If you manage to get banned from privately owned servers of a privately developped free mod, you have no one to blame but yourself.  I can't believe you are seriously using this argument as if it wasn't completely fucking retarded.

Incidentally, find me one instance of someone permabanned for "witty" trolling. In your opinion, how many people have been permabanned as of the start of cRPG? How many permabans does cRPG average over a month over the total playerbase? What were the reasons for those bans? What's that? You have no fucking idea? Colour me surprised (sarcasm). You have no numbers, no evidence, not even anecdotes, you're just making a whiny ass thread based on your gut feeling that maybe, at one point or another, someone has gotten permabanned for illegitimate reasons?  This entire thread just seems to be a way of trying to excuse away your own behaviour because some random person who isn't even an admin threatened you with a permaban. It's ok, you're not going to be permabanned unless you do something really bad. Stop being afraid.

Alright.

I said cRPG was the basis of why I bought this game. Hence, it's an indirect cost to me. I never said I was a "customer of cRPG", so get your shit right before attacking me.

In the server I play in, there's an archer called Vad. Some players added two letters on the end, deeming the name "Vadge". If I say that once more, I'm permabanned from the Australian server.

Atleast you're correct in stating that I don't know the ban rates for cRPG, but who the fuck does?

I believe in second chances, and on a monthly scale, I believe that it couldn't hurt to give a rulebreaker a 'trial' persay to see how they've matured. If they have.