Poll

Are permanent bans too harsh for offences like: Glitching, offensive language and trolling?

No. Shutting off people from the game they paid for is a just punishment for swearing.
41 (58.6%)
Yes, permanent bans are too harsh for offenive language and most other bad behaviour.
29 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: [Bans & Mutes] Permanent too harsh?  (Read 5717 times)

Offline slothscott

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: AEF_BigBird
Re: [Bans & Mutes] Permanent too harsh?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 09:21:29 am »
Honestly...

Just don't say that word in game. /thread

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 09:21:49 am »
Erm, then why even bring it up in a thread about how permanent bans are too harsh? That's obviously what you were implying. People spent money on the game this mod is based on, so that should be taken into consideration when permanent banning. Wasn't that your argument? It's a stupid one, as many in the thread have demonstrated. Sorry if pointing that out offends you.
Don't know much about the Australian servers, from the little that's been leaked on to the forums there's always been an impression of admin abuse, mostly because it's always been players whining about it. If some admin bans you for calling someone else "Vadge", just appeal to the devs. It's a terrible reason for a ban, unless it's persistent, malignant persecution of a player. If you're capslocking harassing someone consistantly, to the point that an admin had to threaten you with a ban over it (can't help but note it wasn't permaban threat), then you either deserved it or the admin had no standing and was just protecting a favorite of his.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline slothscott

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 09:33:40 am »
Consistent warnings and mutes and he still didn't stop saying it. I threatened him with a ban, the only reason it might be a permanent ban is because the Australian AEF server has a 2 ban = permanent rule. If your silly enough to get yourself banned twice then a permanent ban seems fair.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 09:49:04 am »
+1
Seems a bit harsh tbh. I call one of the devs "my old friendsaderp" when I seem him on the servers, consistantly, doesn't seem to phase him much. If there's a 2 ban= perma rule, would be wise for this guy to try to dial in his "witty" trolling a little. I don't much like rule though, makes it impossible to ban for small things, it's either all or nothing. Who decided on this? Try to amend it...doesn't leave much flexibility for type of punishment based on different offenses. The majority of the bans handed out on EU seem to be 1 day bans, if everyone who got two of those got perma'd it would be a little ridiculous.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:52:02 am by Oberyn »

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 10:09:53 am »
I like how this thread mixes Warband (that you paid for), cRPG (free) and independently run cRPG servers (free) into one big group that "you're entitled to because you paid for it".

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 10:24:04 am »
will i be ban if i say that op is full of shit?

Does ppl who bought warband on steam sale at 5euros have less right than ppl who bought it at 25euros?

Offline slothscott

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 10:26:50 am »
I call one of the devs "my old friendsaderp" when I seem him on the servers, consistantly, doesn't seem to phase him much.

I agree wholeheartedly about your view on our 2 ban permanent rule, however the difference between your joke and his joke is that his was hurting someone and had to be dealt with accordingly. So far I havn't seen him utter the word in the server since, so it seems to have worked.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 11:01:54 am »
+1
So, to recap the thread, I think BlackWind does have a legitimate grievance, kind of. He was talking about the particular rules for the Australian server, not cRPG in general even though he phrased it that way, and he further managed to alienate people with a stupid self-entitled attitude (i.e i paid money for this).

I don't know about the particulars of the situation appart from hearsay, but if the person Blackwind was harassing with this nickname complained to admin who had to take multiple actions (muting, warnings) and he still wouldn't give it up, it's a pretty clear case of malignant trolling, so he doesn't have any of my sympathy there, and he deserves as long a ban as admin feels is necessary.

Which leads us to where he  does has a legitimate grievance, the banning format for the Australian server, namely the 2 ban=perma. It is highly restrictive for admins and creates more work for them (constantly warning, watching, muting) than would be the case with a well applied ban.

I don't think it should be impossible to be permabanned as BlackWind believes, only that it should be up to the discretion of the admin, not some artificial 2 strikes you're out kinda thing. Sloth, do you as an admin think BlackWind deserves a permaban, or would you just have been happy banning him for a few days til he decides he doesn't want to be an idiot anymore, and if he does anyways, and the attitude is persistant, you can always rectify that mistake?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:03:04 am by Oberyn »

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 11:28:45 am »
wut is this, we have trolling rogue bushninjas in the aus servers?

Maybe I should play there more..

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline slothscott

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 11:33:29 am »
If he says the word again I will follow through with what I promised however I don't think it should be permanent if he does say it, I also think our 2 strikes perm is silly and we should go to a 2 strikes then essay format.

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PK
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2011, 02:47:04 pm »
If he says the word again I will follow through with what I promised however I don't think it should be permanent if he does say it, I also think our 2 strikes perm is silly and we should go to a 2 strikes then essay format.

Alright.

Firstly, if you're challenging me to say it again.. I can prove to be a bigger thorn in the foot of AEF than I have been, considering I behave most of the time, like once a month I'll use a UAM, not even.

Secondly, in all seriousness, how offensive is 'the name', and if she can't cope with a couple of laughs, I'm afraid the internet isn't for her. Seriously, toughen up... It's similar humour as me calling HumV, BumV, and him calling me Sluto instead of Sudo. But yes, I won't say Va.. again, purely because I value the AEF server, as there are no others.

Lastly, I can't name a player who's left the Australian community due to my 'trolling'. Therefore, it can be concluded that every player is an asset, considering we can get 20 players online at once on a good day.. I'm not suggesting this to condone trolling/misconduct in the server, but it means that the "2 strike system" could lead to the downfall of the server. Instead, I believe we should adopt the policy mentioned to be present in the EU servers. I won't troll more or less, I only do it when I have an urge, which isn't often.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:00:07 pm by Black Wind »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Here in PK, we're better than you! And we know it.

Offline Eugene

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 59
  • MLPK
    • View Profile
  • Faction: My Little Pony Krew
  • Game nicks: MLPK_Brony_Sudo
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 04:17:10 am »
Sudo_V,

Permabanned on 8/10/2011.

Reason: Calling the admin, "EasyMode" for using a mallet.

was not hindering anybody else

rather harsh there, Boromir
I hate it when I forget to take my fedora off at night, and I wake up neck-deep in bitches

Offline slothscott

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2011, 04:20:46 am »
He was banned because he was abusing several people on the server and then went to referring to me as einstein, an unwise decision.

Luckily this is his first ban so it will not be permanent but I will do my best to make it as long as possible.

Edit: by the way eugene, when we ban someone we have no choice but to "permanently" ban them and then take them off the list when they're ban is up.

Edit 2:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:27:28 am by slothscott »

Offline Eugene

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 59
  • MLPK
    • View Profile
  • Faction: My Little Pony Krew
  • Game nicks: MLPK_Brony_Sudo
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2011, 04:30:52 am »
He was banned because he was abusing several people on the server and then went to referring to me as einstein, an unwise decision.

Luckily this is his first ban so it will not be permanent but I will do my best to make it as long as possible.

Edit: by the way eugene, when we ban someone we have no choice but to "permanently" ban them and then take them off the list when they're ban is up.

Edit 2:
(click to show/hide)

March 16, 2011, 05:10:06 check the date.

1.who else was he abusing?

2.he didn't refer to you as einstein, that was a quote he was told to say.............. view the rest of the message he mentioned lulz.

considering u jus said it isnt perm, ill take ur word for it and leave it at that
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:32:08 am by Eugene »
I hate it when I forget to take my fedora off at night, and I wake up neck-deep in bitches

Offline slothscott

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2011, 05:06:53 am »
This matter is between Sudo and the AEF, if Sudo finds it unfair then he should contact myself or Humv/Miku.