Poll

Are permanent bans too harsh for offences like: Glitching, offensive language and trolling?

No. Shutting off people from the game they paid for is a just punishment for swearing.
41 (58.6%)
Yes, permanent bans are too harsh for offenive language and most other bad behaviour.
29 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: [Bans & Mutes] Permanent too harsh?  (Read 5697 times)

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PK
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
[Bans & Mutes] Permanent too harsh?
« on: October 06, 2011, 03:37:48 am »
Hello fellow cRPGers,

I am curious as to what the majority's view is on permanent bans and mutes.

I personally am not banned, and nobody I know is, but I think that for people who break server rules, there should never be a permanent ban.

You would probably all be thinking "But then they'll come back and do it again." no? Well I know that if I did something wrong multiple times, and got banned for a month, I definately wouldn't do it again, and I doubt you would either.

I propose that punishments are dealt in the following order for ALL cRPG servers in order of offences respectively:
1. Warning.
2. Kick the player if they do it again.
3. 24 hour ban if they do it again.
4. 7 day ban if they do it again.
5. 28 day ban if they still... Do it.
6. Repeat number 5.
7. Repeat number 5.
8. Repeat number 5.
etc.

I have thought of thought of this, as I have played cRPG alot, and love it. I bet the majority of you love it too, and would be shattered if you were banned from your regular server... -FOREVER-

It would feel as if I've wasted months of my life for no reason, and hence, is too harsh to punish rule-breakers. If you ban them once a month, as an admin, I doubt they could trouble you much.

Note:THIS HAS ALL BEEN WRITTEN IN MY PERSPECTIVE
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:27:17 am by Black Wind »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here in PK, we're better than you! And we know it.

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
Re: [Bans & Mutes] Permanent too harsh?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 03:50:51 am »
I agree from my perspective, but I know people who have been banned for a month and gotten rebanned for similar stuff coughcoughRKELLYcoughcough

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 04:00:00 am »
I agree from my perspective, but I know people who have been banned for a month and gotten rebanned for similar stuff coughcoughRKELLYcoughcough

I agree with his agreeing of your perspective.  This does seem like it could be a good solution...

... but then when I think about what type of moron would get themselves muted that many times, I say fuckit - if they can't control themselves THAT MANY TIMES...
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:01:54 am by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 08:22:11 am »
+1
What Shine said. Admins aren't here to teach people how not to be antisocial dickwads. That was their parent's job, if they had 'em, and a lot of them obviously failed. It takes quite a lot to get a permaban, I don't read the ban forums a lot anymore (I got warnings for insulting/unseemly gloating) but I don't think I've ever seen/heard of a permaban that wasn't completely understandable.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 10:47:01 am »
+5
Some people make the excuse that the community is so small we cant afford to lose players (banned permanently).  The opposite is true, by not getting rid of confirmed bad apple repeat offenders with permabans, you risk losing new players who hop in and see the shitfest that these repeat offenders cause and leave.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:50:54 am by Digglez »

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 10:49:35 am »
Hello fellow cRPGers,

I am curious as to what the majority's view is on permanent bans and mutes.

I personally am not banned, and nobody I know is, but I think that for people who break server rules, there should never be a permanent ban.

You would probably all be thinking "But then they'll come back and do it again." no? Well I know that if I did something wrong multiple times, and got banned for a month, I definately wouldn't do it again, and I doubt you would either.

I propose that punishments are dealt in the following order for ALL cRPG servers in order of offences respectively:
1. Warning.
2. Kick the player if they do it again.
3. 24 hour ban if they do it again.
4. 7 day ban if they do it again.
5. 28 day ban if they still... Do it.
6. Repeat number 5.
7. Repeat number 5.
8. Repeat number 5.
etc.

I have thought of thought of this, as I have played cRPG alot, and love it. I bet the majority of you love it too, and would be shattered if you were banned from your regular server... -FOREVER-

It would feel as if I've wasted months of my life for no reason, and hence, is too harsh to punish rule-breakers. If you ban them once a month, as an admin, I doubt they could trouble you much.

Note:THIS HAS ALL BEEN WRITTEN IN MY PERSPECTIVE

Do you know what you have to do to be permabanned?
Everybody who managed to be permabanned deserved it and 28 days ban would be a joke for them.

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 11:03:50 am »
+3
No. Shutting off people from the game they paid for is a just punishment for swearing.

Flaw: no one paid for cRPG.  Warband still functions perfectly when you are permanently banned from cRPG.
Also we can permaban for swearing?  Awesome.

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 11:19:18 am »
Flaw: no one paid for cRPG.  Warband still functions perfectly when you are permanently banned from cRPG.
Also we can permaban for swearing?  Awesome.

We paid for Mount & Blade: Warband.
And by swearing, I mean name-calling, and making fun at other players.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 12:10:13 pm »
+2
My rule of thumb:

1 unbanned jerk will cause the loss of 10 other players per month.

So if you have 10 unbanned jerks, you're losing 100 players per month (mostly new players who log in, see all the jerks, and log off and never come back).

I think there's a perception in the gaming communities that "you can't ban these [cheaters / jerks / douchebags / trolls] because there are few enough players that banning anyone would hurt".

On the contrary, you can't afford NOT to ban them.  You MUST ban them if you want the game to thrive.  There are a million gamers out there and 99% of them will not play in a game that gets dominated by trolls, jerks, douchebags and especially cheaters.

My opinion is that cRPG admin policy is far too lenient.  I mean, not to name names, but I watched a recent case where I reported a troll, I posted his acts to the forum, he got banned and then I watched him weasel out of a lot of the ban time by posting a blatantly fabricated version of events.  I know they were fabricated because I was there watching him do it.  I could have said something but ya know, fuck that guy, really.  I did my job.  I did more than my job.  If the admins want to deal with him again later, after he drives off another 20 players, fine.  Apparently he's even been banned before.  How many chances do you give the same douchebag?  How many players does he get to drive off while having his own little private style of fun, which incidentally nobody else enjoys?

Another good rule of thumb:
By the time you catch someone doing something, they have already done it dozens of times without getting caught.

You just caught someone team wounding random people on purpose?  He's probably been doing it every day for weeks without getting caught.

You just caught someone spamming chat for 5 minutes straight?  He probably does it all the time and you're the first admin to be on when he's on.

I've reported a couple people to the forums and it wasn't like, "Ooooo!  I caught someone doing something bad!  I'm tellin'!"  If I reported someone, it's because they were being a gigantic prick up everyone's backside for a solid hour and I finally got sick of it enough to look for them and start taking screenshots.  I reported them for the one thing I could prove and didn't report them for the 50 other things they did that annoyed me enough to get to that point.

And really, how many warnings does a well known player need?  Yes, if Jim the Newbie fucks up, you can cut him a break.  He didn't know that opening the gate would let in the entire enemy team.  He's new.  If Joe the Veteran of 10,000 Kills does that, you can probably be sure he did it on purpose, to be a troll, and the smack down upon him should be heard from across the ocean.  The quickest way to kill any game, whether it's an MMORPG, an FPS or a Mount & Blade mod, is to let the community get dominated by trolls.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2809
  • Infamy: 1746
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 02:25:55 pm »
+1
Some people make the excuse that the community is so small we cant afford to lose players (banned permanently).  The opposite is true, by not getting rid of confirmed bad apple repeat offenders with permabans, you risk losing new players who hop in and see the shitfest that these repeat offenders cause and leave.

QFT

We paid for Mount & Blade: Warband.
And by swearing, I mean name-calling, and making fun at other players.

As Braeden already said, you can still play Warband native or other mods even if you're permabanned in c-rpg.

C-rpg isn't integral part of Warband. If you still don't understand that you're stupid.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 02:29:06 pm by Leshma »

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 02:34:33 pm »
QFT

As Braeden already said, you can still play Warband native or other mods even if you're permabanned in c-rpg.

C-rpg isn't integral part of Warband. If you still don't understand that you're stupid.

Well, I bought Warband for cRPG. Thus, cRPG is an integral part of Warband for me

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 03:24:27 pm »
+1
Then it's your responsibility to behave and not get banned. The devs owe you nothing.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 03:50:59 pm »
+1
Case point fucking R_Kelly who is NA_Siege biggest troll, still his despite being banned a ton of time.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 06:53:36 pm »
+1
Poll is a liar. They did not pay for cRPG, they payed for warband.

Regardless, just because you payed money for something does not mean you can do whatever the hell you want to other people who also payed.

Every society in the world does not put up with even a tenth of the bullshit in real life as people do on the internet.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:55:27 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 07:08:09 pm »
Case point fucking R_Kelly who is NA_Siege biggest troll, still his despite being banned a ton of time.

Heh, half that shit was false accusations. Once you get the troll rep, it's pretty easy to be blamed for "anything" and get in trouble for it.