Author Topic: For crying out loud. Disable ladders in battle mode.  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: For crying out loud. Disable ladders in battle mode.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 02:38:05 am »
There is the problem.

Shit hits the fan when one team has WAY more ranged players than the other.

Try to counter them like that.

There is a joke,

You can only be as effective as Romanian Anti-Aircraft Defense.

Jumping around, fist up in the air, and Swearing at the pilots.  :mrgreen:

Sry Romania, I forgot what nation it was actually.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:40:13 am by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Archeress

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Archeress
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 02:40:46 am »
There is the problem.

Shit hits the fan when one team has WAY more ranged players than the other.

Try to counter them like that.
Well, when that happens, usually the other team would get all the cavs, and the poor infantries will have to count on their blessings, then :).

Offline Tristan_of_Erzoth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1000
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Tristan_of_Erzoth, Sorcerer_Tholamin, Big_Dick_McCallister
  • IRC nick: wtf is an IRC
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 09:27:36 am »

I dislike how people spew out this "omg it's tactical and blah blah blah" talk. It isn't tactical at all.

It is tactical, it is a way to get over magnetic shields, and fire over friendlys. I normally never have a problem with roof archers because I almost never see them. I play on the Haven server, or the Ootl most of the time, and I dont think I've seen it once.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilmagic/

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 09:33:35 am »
+1, roof camping is übergay. Melee and archers should work together on a battlefield, with melee trying to protect them from ninjas and whatnot.
Roofcamping gives you fucking invincibility until you're one of the last guys alive (thanks to the rule).

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 09:45:52 am »
1) Create a 2-handed melee character with 100% into two-handed wpf.  Your character is like a mewling baby in the face of all ranged attacks, completely helpless.
2) Complain on the forums to get all forms of ranged attacks and tactics nerfed, even though ranged pretty much never tops the kill charts.
3) ???
4) Profit

100 wpf in throwing and some javelins (or even throwing knives) will give the average archer something to think about, particularly with two or three people chucking stuff at him.  Or bring a crossbow, which takes no wpf to get a good aim with.  Or just bring a crappy wooden shield and wear it on your back and take it out when you need to cross "archer alley".

Really, what DO you two-hander goons do with your 2 free slots?  Load up on sandwiches?  Bring a second copy of your favorite sword so you can bring them out together during lulls in combat and put on a Punch & Judy show?  Why not, you know, bring a ladder?  Or some javelins?  Or a light crossbow and some bolts?

At any rate, I have a new favorite thing to do with ladders: lay them against a wall or tree, preferably at a shallow angle, and use them as anti-cavalry "clothesline" traps.  The cav comes around the corner and whamo, right into the ladder.  Archers can also stand on the ladder to keep our of reach of cavalry, though it leaves them exposed to enemy archers.  (Credit for this idea goes to Diggles.)

Removing ladders would be bad.

Adapt or die.

Next you'll want horses removed.  And shields.  And bows.  And throwing weapons.  And basically everything except 2H and plate.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 09:53:10 am »
1) Create a 2-handed melee character with 100% into two-handed wpf.  Your character is like a mewling baby in the face of all ranged attacks, completely helpless.
2) Complain on the forums to get all forms of ranged attacks and tactics nerfed, even though ranged pretty much never tops the kill charts.
3) ???
4) Profit

100 wpf in throwing and some javelins (or even throwing knives) will give the average archer something to think about, particularly with two or three people chucking stuff at him.  Or bring a crossbow, which takes no wpf to get a good aim with.  Or just bring a crappy wooden shield and wear it on your back and take it out when you need to cross "archer alley".

Really, what DO you two-hander goons do with your 2 free slots?  Load up on sandwiches?  Bring a second copy of your favorite sword so you can bring them out together during lulls in combat and put on a Punch & Judy show?  Why not, you know, bring a ladder?  Or some javelins?  Or a light crossbow and some bolts?

At any rate, I have a new favorite thing to do with ladders: lay them against a wall or tree, preferably at a shallow angle, and use them as anti-cavalry "clothesline" traps.  The cav comes around the corner and whamo, right into the ladder.  Archers can also stand on the ladder to keep our of reach of cavalry, though it leaves them exposed to enemy archers.  (Credit for this idea goes to Diggles.)

Removing ladders would be bad.

Adapt or die.

Next you'll want horses removed.  And shields.  And bows.  And throwing weapons.  And basically everything except 2H and plate.

Oh boy talk about biased.

Can anyone get to camping roof monkeys when they use ladders? Anyone at all? No? So how the fuck is this about 2H/plate then?
The sheer fact that roof monkeys are pretty much untouchable up there is disturbing. Why not work on your defense too, have melee protect you, have cavalry protect you, fuck, have other ranged protect you by crossfire, bring siege shields?
It's just too fucking easy for one guy to plant a ladder and so the whole archer team can camp the shit out of that roof, innit?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:55:08 am by Vibe »

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 02:10:59 pm »
+3
remove ladders, archers need to fight like real men. I see good archers fighting on the ground, problem is most people aren't good archers, they have no awareness and get stabbed in the back. Reintroduce ladders once we can set buildings on fire.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 04:01:56 pm »
Should have happened long ago, I don't know what the fuck is taking so long.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 06:44:07 pm »
our team had to attack a village. guess who was waiting for us on the roof? more then half of the enemy team!

right at the beggining they got on two different roofs braking the ladders straight away therefor excluding 3/4 of my team to play...

(there are 8 guys on this pic)

and the round after

You think this is bad? I should have taken the screens earlier...

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 06:54:57 pm »
35/2=8?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 07:08:28 pm »
on two different roofs

and those pics were later when i thought of screenshotting

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 07:16:28 pm »
+2
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Elazul

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 07:35:28 pm »
Nice. Forcing stuff like that on players to deal with it. :mrgreen:
*obvioussarcasmisobvious*

I dislike how people spew out this "omg it's tactical and blah blah blah" talk. It isn't tactical at all.

Only use of it is quickly capturing a Rooftop with like 10 ranged, then destroying it. Trying to climb up there is suicide.

Other dimension.. You're right, a dimension of suckage.

Ironic statement considering by removing ladders you would be enforcing your playstyle onto other players.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 07:41:08 pm »
Ironic statement considering by removing ladders you would be enforcing your playstyle onto other players.

I wonder wtf archer used to do before they implemented Immunity to Melee ladders....

Shit needs to go...

Or... Add a wtf pocket forcefield resistance tablet wich gives immunity to ranged until the admin says you need to deactivate it... make it 1 slot and then when activated it gets removed from your inventory...

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:44:32 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Elazul

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2011, 07:49:06 pm »
I wonder wtf archer used to do before they implemented Immunity to Melee ladders....

Shit needs to go...

Or... Add a wtf pocket forcefield resistance tablet wich gives immunity to ranged until the admin says you need to deactivate it... make it 1 slot and then when activated it gets removed from your inventory...

Think of it as being more realistic. Archers in the medieval times were a force to be feared on the battlefield and funny enough they got about as much respect then as from what I seen on this forum.