Author Topic: Fewer players now?  (Read 10835 times)

Offline Bonze

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-Fagcher-Liberation-Front (AFLF)
  • Game nicks: King of FF bump
Re: Less players now?
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2011, 09:11:59 pm »
"But why should I have the same goal? There is no reason whatsoever for me to try and gather the largest playerbase possible. If it is a byproduct of me having fun while playing, that's great. But if I actually have to decide between maintaining a large playerbase or creating a fun game, well - I am sorry, I want to do something that I have fun doing. I am aware that is selfish, but when I wash a car, it's mine, not my neighbours'. (Not that I could afford one :D)"

We don't want your dirty, grinding unwashed masses. If Bonze is a representative of the tards not playing anymore, then all I can say is fuck yeah!

Quote from: chadz
Before the patch, people have been asking me what nick I'm playing with. They knew I was one of them, but who? Well, the answer is simple - They knew wrong, I wasn't playing.

I havent played cRPG before the patch (0.200) for several months, because I haven't had any fun any more. At all. From all the hundreds of items available, people were wearing the ones with the best stats - or trying to get them while waiting in boredom. Because many people thought the fun starts when you finally reached that item/armor. What kind of game is that? You work hundreds of hours just to have fun, eventually?

It wasn't a game any more, it was a grinding marathon. I know some liked that, but I didn't. I am not trying to create a free2play version of WoW here, and if some got that impression, I am sorry to have wasted your time.

Am I aware of the fact that these new changes might drive quite some players away? Totally. But let me tell you one thing, what good is a game developer if he doesn't like his own product?

I'd say that depends on a devs motivation. There are, as far as I can see, two different options: a) The dev wants to play the game itself, b) the dev gets a salary.

Considering that I am sitting in an apartment with estimated 15°C, (I need all the power I can afford for the PC!), instead of sailing around the carribean with a yacht, I'd say b) cant be it. That leaves us with the egoistical option a).

I always thought it was fun if everyone could create his own char, using his own items. The point was not to outgrind other players, but to just spice the game up and give it some variety and persistance. Have your own char, live with it, with it's strength, but also with it's flaws. That is also the reason why there is no respec option.

Retrospective, the very first big patch was indeed the, in my opinion, worst decision ever. I thought "Hey, that xp function is a bit silly, after level 31 you cant upgrade your char any more! Bug! Constant progression forever!" And i thought other games do it too, so it must be for a reason. Now I realise they have a very good reason, monthly subscriptions.

But why should I have the same goal? There is no reason whatsoever for me to try and gather the largest playerbase possible. If it is a byproduct of me having fun while playing, that's great. But if I actually have to decide between maintaining a large playerbase or creating a fun game, well - I am sorry, I want to do something that I have fun doing. I am aware that is selfish, but when I wash a car, it's mine, not my neighbours'. (Not that I could afford one )
The decision was between stopping the project cRPG altogether, or change it radically. Therefore, keeping it as it was, was actually NO option, at least not from my side.

For everyone who wants to leave: I am sorry for every single one I have disappointed, I really hope you find a game that fits your needs and playstyle more, and thanks for being an important part of the journey.

To all the others (or new players) that still think the game is fun, let's start a new chapter and have a fun trip to see where the project cRPG ends - because I have no ******** idea.

(That's something a dev on salary can't say, yay!)

**********************************************************************************

Nice copy paste ehhh

Well , say Thx to donkey. The blue text is my favorite part : He, comrade god him self  (and the most  "missing" players ) dont want dirty , team stacking , 24/7 , grinding,  ganking,  gold farming clans.

Got no Balls? Play archer. Got no sex? Play horse archer.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2011, 09:15:32 pm »
Maybe you're not familiar with the purpose of ". Those are quote brackets. Meaning that is a quote. Congrats on your discovery.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2011, 09:16:58 pm »
Well , say Thx to donkey. The blue text is my favorite part : He, comrade god him self  (and the most  "missing" players ) dont want dirty , team stacking , 24/7 , grinding,  ganking,  gold farming clans.
:shock:
Nerf clans?   :rolleyes:

You're right, it's such a shame that clans get to play with their players on the same team.... such a shame..... I'm weeping on the inside, really.....
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2011, 09:26:58 pm »
It wasn't a game any more, it was a grinding marathon. I know some liked that, but I didn't. I am not trying to create a free2play version of WoW here, and if some got that impression, I am sorry to have wasted your time.

Just to be helpful, I've highlighted the bits of your text that logically follow from what chadz said, as quoted by you in blue (I've used red to highlight).

I did it because you seem to have accidentally added your own current rage issues with aspects of cRPG that have nothing to do with the quote from chadz. I've left those parts un-highlighted.

Glad I could be of assistance. :)
I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2011, 09:35:51 pm »
I also would have added gold farming to that list, but with the new patch, there really isnt any gold farming at all.
You might say that leaching is GF, but they are simply just wasting hours of their lives not earning ANY MORE GOLD than anyone else in the server.  they should just play, they would get the same result.  the latest patch was awesome.  not perfect, but much more fun.

I would submit to you that team stacking and ganking are an essential part of any team deathmatch experience.
Have you ever played an FPS on any ladder?  thats the whole point.  play with people you like, and win.
When I am on vent or mumble with my friends, we always like to be on the same team.
get some friends
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:38:47 pm by jspook »
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Bonze

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-Fagcher-Liberation-Front (AFLF)
  • Game nicks: King of FF bump
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2011, 09:46:36 pm »
:shock:
Nerf clans?   :rolleyes:

You're right, it's such a shame that clans get to play with their players on the same team.... such a shame..... I'm weeping on the inside, really.....

Its called balance ...or sportsmanship. I know, sportsmanship is an unknown word since the last patch especially for clans like drz . XP and Gold nothing else matters.

Ill like the superscription : Less players now? But he forgett the "why" xD

Got no Balls? Play archer. Got no sex? Play horse archer.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2011, 10:04:20 pm »

Its called balance ...or sportsmanship.

Sorry, no.  Sports are seperated by teams, they don't mix players from each team or accept pubbies onto the field.  Even in a pubbie match at your local field you seperate into pre-determined teams.  Sportsmanship is defined as: 
sports·man·ship noun \-ˌship\
Definition of SPORTSMANSHIP
: conduct (as fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport

Merriam Webster.

sports·man·ship   /ˈspɔrtsmənˌʃɪp, ˈspoʊrts-/  Show Spelled
[spawrts-muhn-ship, spohrts-]   
–noun
1. the character, practice, or skill of a sportsman.
2. sportsmanlike conduct, as fairness, courtesy, being a cheerful loser, etc.
Dictionary.com

sportsmanship 
Sportsmanship is behaviour and attitudes that show respect for the rules of a game and for the other players.
Collins Dictionary.net

Playing with clan-mates isn't breaking any rules of the game (most games encourage this, and ALL sports do) so it's falls perfectly within the realm of fair play (IE:  Not cheating).  Maybe rather than bitching about clans you should practice one of the other tenants of good sportsmanship:  Being a gracious loser.   :wink:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline nuffen

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Nuffen Fallen_Lilith Fallen_Little_Nuff
  • IRC nick: nuffen
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2011, 10:07:38 pm »
Wow
Weird thread. I was just thinking that I have never seen so many players on the servers. EU 1 very often full, EU 2 usually enough people to play, and loads of people on the siege servers.
On the other hand, I didnt play during christmas.. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2011, 10:14:47 pm »
Sorry, no.  Sports are seperated by teams, they don't mix players from each team or accept pubbies onto the field.  Even in a pubbie match at your local field you seperate into pre-determined teams. 

Agreed.

Why not start a 10 man TDM league (not strategus, a ladder system, like clan ladder or Cal)
Do we even have enough US players to support a ladder?  I know there are more than enough EU, but the 2 should be seperated out of necessity (ping)
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2011, 11:41:25 pm »
You've said that before, and you're still wrong. What diversity was there before? Everyone grinded to get to use the exact same weapons, exact same builds, exact same armor. The diversity of all these things is much greater now.

The correct way to obtain diversity is horizontally (ok don't make any sex jokes pls). This means, maxed out characters with maxed out equipment should have different options, all equally powerful (this is called balance), and this way not everyone stays the same. We currently have this with players being freely able to chose between different builds (by this i mean stats and skills), but it wasn't there prepatch for items, and isn't there now because now the diversity is vertical (meaning players will chose better or worse equipment based on their finances and multiplier). The vertical diversity is also imposed by game mechanics, and favors some builds over others (agi builds with light armor are favored vs the hated tincan builds which are not viable anymore, so everyone is doing some sort of agi build). Exceptions are a few str characters, some do it because they like that style even if it's not the best possible, i do it because of that but i'll go to a more balanced copycutter build when/if i have to time to retire again. Imposing something to force players to a particular playstyle obviously isn't fun and is driving players away.

In the end it's chadz' mod and he is free to do patches like this one. He said he's not interested in maxing the population and that saddens me but it's in his right to do it. I'm still playing, but once i run out of gold i'll have to grind again, and i'm not sure i want to do that. So the main reason i see that is driving players away is that they're being forced to a certain playstyle, and if they want to do something different, they're forced to grind more even after maxing out their char. Playing differently as you want + being forced to grind forever means people will continue to leave the mod.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:44:05 pm by Ganon »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2011, 11:44:48 pm »
There's no best equipment, really. The WPF/Movement speed nerf with heavy armors is great. Means that everything has different kinds of drawbacks and advantages.

Plate armor is definitely sustainable, I could use 60k equipment for several hours, only losing 2k in the end. You don't make money in it, but so what?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2011, 12:59:01 am »
Xant, if i use plate armor i lose tens of thousands of gold in a few hours. Of course if you farm costantly at x5 that's not the average case.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2011, 01:01:18 am »
Idk. The numbers say cheaper plate with a cheaper weapon should be almost sustainable on the long run, but obviously you're going to need a good money buffer for it.

There is a number of 48-50 body armour rating armors which are definitely sustainable.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2011, 01:59:18 am »
Idk. The numbers say cheaper plate with a cheaper weapon should be almost sustainable on the long run, but obviously you're going to need a good money buffer for it.

There is a number of 48-50 body armour rating armors which are definitely sustainable.

Please let's not change the topic and then go discuss semantics, you can sustain 48k of equipment, assume plate armor is milanese plate or gothic plate, so factor that in as body armor then add helmet, gauntlets and boots of similar ar, a weapon or two, you're going to lose gold. If you want to discuss that again, there's alot of old threads.

This evening i noticed the lack of players (it's no longer weekend). Both eu1 and eu4 have less players than what is used to be. I'm not making the numbers up, so stop saying "no there's more players!!one!". There are less players, the reasons are known, some servers are going to be shutdown in the near future(less players = less donations). Just check it out yourself. If you just post and don't play, then you're one less player and confirm the fact that many people stopped playing. These are all obvious facts, if you disagree please provide some solid argument.

Offline serpus

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2011, 02:01:17 am »
As the quality of the server admins decreases, so does the player population.