Author Topic: Patch melee infantry out of the game entirely  (Read 2629 times)

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Patch melee infantry out of the game entirely
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:02:22 am »
The devs nonstop buff cavalry, cavalry, and throwers, the game is quickly approaching unplayable as 2h infantry. Shielder is boring as hell and I already did two gens as shielder, I can't even play 2h anymore because for every infantry there is a thrower, two archers and a heavy cav. Just get rid of melee infantry and be done with it

edit: when playing other games online i say to myself "are these admins worse at adminning than the CRPG balance team is at balancing?" if the answer is yes, i find another server
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:06:57 am by a_bear_irl »
FREE ALLERS

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Patch melee infantry out of the game entirely
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 11:15:34 am »
I agree there is a lot of ranged and cav lately, but I think we have to blaim the balance system for that, filling up one team with all the infantry and the other with ranged&cav.

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:19:04 am »
I agree there is a lot of ranged and cav lately, but I think we have to blaim the balance system for that, filling up one team with all the infantry and the other with ranged&cav.

actually we have to blame the balance team for that, regular infantry is so bad at this point it's become an auxillary class, like in strat it's going to be "well, we got all the cav and ranged we could, just fill the slots with whatever infantry you can scrounge up"
FREE ALLERS

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:26:17 am »
I think shielders can still be quite effective vs ranged and cav, especially hoplites. As for 2h, well... not so much.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:47:15 am »
+1
I don't mind seeing some ranged in fights, but the amount of ranged I am currently seeing in battle is downright silly.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:48:32 am by Vodner »

Offline Ulrek

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 02:36:48 pm »
Getting shot by arrows? buy a shield and a fast 1h weapon for back up, shield + weapon are two slots, so you can still use your big sword.

Getting run over by cav? buy a crossbow, bolts + crossbow are still 2 slots, plenty of room.

Getting raped by everything at once? stay in a group, or just go spec mode and complain about how bad your team is if that fails.

-Ulrek-

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 02:50:24 pm »
+2
Blah blah blah

Why in every thread concerning ridiculous amounts of ranged and cav theres always some wise guy, like the dude above, who bought Warband on Steam sales, figured out that there's some sort of rock-paper-scissors and keeps posting it. Seriously, stop it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:51:53 pm by Tot. »
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 03:00:30 pm »
+1
Why in every thread concerning ridiculous amounts of ranged and cav theres always some wise guy, like the dude above, who bought Warband on Steam sales, figured out that there's some sort of rock-paper-scissors and keeps posting it. Seriously, stop it.

Yeah man stop posting your solutions we're busy wallowing in our complaints. Melee can't do anything that's why we dominate the scoreboards. Oh no i can't charge headfirst into an aware cluster of archers too bad there's no one else around who could help me in this situation. Wait CRPG isn't a single player game? Teamwork? Wha?

Maybe you should remove melee, i don't see ranged constantly whining about every single change or every other class, but for some reason there is an amazing percentage of melee that absolutely cannot handle any change to the game. Oh no we're useless. Yeah will if that's true it's because you're terrible as the same people who i saw who were great in melee before are great now. Sorry your plate armor doesn't make you completely impervious to damage as it used to and you might actually have to, i dunno, occasionally use cover or work with a teammate. The horror.

e: Also the reason there is so much ranged is that for some reason the autobalancer often balance almost all archers to one side and almost all cav to the other. Probably should be looked into, but then again with banner balance it's a pretty much moot point.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 03:01:34 pm by Ylca »

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 03:02:43 pm »
+1
i don't see ranged constantly whining about every single change or every other class

:lol:

Players of each class complain about everyone else equally. Breaking news.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 03:08:53 pm »
Nah, it's true. Ranged doesn't complain as much about every other class -- obviously. Why would an archer care if polearms are OP compared to 2h, or vice versa? Or if pikes have 500 thrust damage? But they make up by complaining about cav, naturally.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:16:47 pm »
+2
There's like a million threads every time they slightly change archery.. even when it's for the better (like the recent arrow type damage change).

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 03:20:40 pm »
IMO that change wasnt the greatest of all, feels like archery will be able to do higher damage to all its counter, even heavyier cavalry.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 03:28:45 pm »
i don't see ranged constantly whining about every single change or every other class

:lol:

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 03:35:24 pm »
+1
Put 1 point into shield.  Old Board Shield costs 812 gold and has 200 hp, will absorb a handful of arrows.  Or put 2 into shield and use the plain board shield for 2342 gold, 325 hp 4 armor, that should last you against ranged for quite awhile.

I did this during my last 2H gen and busted the shield out when a team had especially pesky archers.  Most of the time though I didn't even bring a shield out and just wiggled to victory.

@ people who cba to adjust their build one point to significantly increase their defense against ranged - cry more.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 03:39:56 pm »
Can't do that, no points avaible.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art