Author Topic: Katana Analyzed in Relation to the Bastard Sword  (Read 15371 times)

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jago
Re: Katana Analyzed in Relation to the Bastard Sword
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2011, 02:30:13 pm »
LoL Aldryk. :) That cracked me up.

Offline Mattressi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mattress, Mattressi, Mattressii, Matturtle, Matthrow, Mattbalist, Superion_The_Tainted, Mattrun
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2011, 02:31:17 pm »
I believe that what this post has taught me is that we need a .1 weight weapon for me to swing so fast that it GOES BACK IN TIME, to hit before the person blocks.

But remember it has to be short, otherwise the torqueses and accelerations will hold it back in the present!

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2011, 02:33:06 pm »
Still Matt, the weight of the arms, even if we factored them in, which we might as well factor in the weight of the body at this point because that is also propelling the blade, would not have much of an effect on the speed of the swing as the weight of the weapon because of the arms closer proximity to the center of rotation. The sword has a much higher torquing effect.

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2011, 02:36:18 pm »
Obviously my general and simple calculations aren't perfect, but they are very close. A katana in cRPG is basically a Short 2H sword, couple that with a ridiculously low weight, and we should have a speed demon.

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2011, 02:39:03 pm »
The two katanas that are modified by my calculations at the end of my post are very similar to the stats of a bastard sword. Their only advantage is a slight boost to speed because of the shortness of the blade. The bastard sword still has the longer reach.

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2011, 02:39:58 pm »
spam more?

also we all know that slight errors in calculations have almost no impact EVER!

please link us info about your very close to correct calculations so even we uneducated people can understand how they are almost right.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 02:41:11 pm by Meow »

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2011, 02:41:56 pm »
Regardless of what mathematics says, in this situation you run into the honest problem of human reaction time. As the speed of the weapon increases, the difficulty of blocking increases significantly due to the decreased time to react and block. Many players had issues from high speed weapons in the hands of extremely high WPF characters pre-patch. Low weight weapons would be the same sort of thing, but of a greater magnitude. If one were to have speed differentials this large, it would be necessary to slow down all weapons, but that would cause issues by making manual blocking significantly easier against most weapons, potentially making anything but fast weapons unfeasible, due to the ease of blocking.

This is all disregarding whether or not the math is correct, of course.

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2011, 02:46:21 pm »
Aldryk, the speed of the katana can be lowered by increasing the weight. By referencing the speed and weight of the bastard sword, accounting for the difference in length, the katana can keep its current speed of 102 with a weight of 1.97. That is .17 pounds heavier than the bastard sword. No where did I ever say that the katana should have a speed of 142. That was taken out of the context of my post.

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2011, 02:48:42 pm »
Weight balancing would likely cause issues with some of the lower weight weapons as well. It would likely require a massive amount of rebalancing, which is likely more work than the developers would like to put forth for this.

All this once again is assuming that the math is correct. I'm too lazy to worry about physics and math unless it's for a class or something else that I have to do, so I'll leave those arguments to others and focus entirely on the problem from a game balance standpoint.

Offline Mattressi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mattress, Mattressi, Mattressii, Matturtle, Matthrow, Mattbalist, Superion_The_Tainted, Mattrun
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2011, 02:49:44 pm »
Still Matt, the weight of the arms, even if we factored them in, which we might as well factor in the weight of the body at this point because that is also propelling the blade, would not have much of an effect on the speed of the swing as the weight of the weapon because of the arms closer proximity to the center of rotation. The sword has a much higher torquing effect.

It most certainly does! The main issue, however is that the sword does not weigh very much, plus its centre of gravity is usually at the cross guard, which is roughly twice the distance of the centre of gravity of the arm, meaning the torque on the blades will roughly be 2*1.25 (i.e. 2.5) lb.units and 2*1.8 (3.6) lb.units, while the torque on the arm will be 19 lb.units (done in units because the length really doesn't matter for the purposes of this argument). Again, the arm is still a very important factor. You can't keep saying 'oh, well it's sorta close to where the energy comes from, so we can just ignore it'. It's there, it has an effect.
Seeing as you seem to be struggling with the theory, you might want to try conducting an experiment. If you're an American, find a baseball bat and give it a swing and record the time taken. They're usually close to 2 pounds (though they have a bad weight distribution for a sword-like object, but that would work in your favour). If you're elsewhere, grab a cricket bat or some other piece of sporting equipment roughly similar in weight to a longsword.

Someone stop me, please! I think I need to ban myself from this thread! All of this debating is just because his physics is wrong, but even if it were right, that wouldn't mean the game would be balanced. Must...stop...feeding...troll...

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2011, 02:54:58 pm »
Oh, please, stop insulting me by calling me a troll. You may disagree with me, but that doesn't mean I am a troll. Just stop.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 02:56:17 pm by Jago »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2011, 02:57:36 pm »
Jago, you are a troll.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Meow

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2011, 02:59:30 pm »
Oh, please, stop insulting me by calling me a troll. You may disagree with me, but that doesn't mean I am a troll. Just stop.

at least you don't try to make us believe you math was correct anymore  :mrgreen:

also it's not just disagreeing but he actually proved you wrong so you might just move along mr. troll.

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2011, 03:00:53 pm »
Yes, here I am, trolling my own thread. I made you all come and post in it and now I am keeping you here by explaining my logical arguments and disregarding your insulting comments. The only one that has brought any actual discussion to this thread has been Matt, and even he can't help but insult me.

Thanks for contributing nothing Xant.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:15:35 pm by Jago »

Offline Meow

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2011, 03:02:31 pm »