Author Topic: You guys do know that what we have as the "Chichak" hemets are from 17c. right?  (Read 11242 times)

Offline Entaro

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Snowhawk Clan
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan
  • Game nicks: SHC_Entar
Seems like you are ignoring the elephant in the room that is Katanas, Samurai Armor & Throwing Stars.

IMO, I like the "medieval" feel of this game (sans Jap stuff).  Once people start complaining about different centuries and russian-anglo-saxter-turkish-persian shit they lost me.  Those helmets you are linking look "medieval" to me.  I know in the real world, that isn't true, but they do look like they belong in a world full of European/west asian chain & plate stuff.

I know thats not "logical" or "historically correct", but using "Historical Fantasty" as a guide, I think it fits the "Calradian Era" fine.  Like I said I think you've got a more obvious issue with Japanese and [argued for in this thread] Ancient Roman/Greek items.

Offline Herald_Hardrata

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Seems like you are ignoring the elephant in the room that is Katanas, Samurai Armor & Throwing Stars.

IMO, I like the "medieval" feel of this game (sans Jap stuff).  Once people start complaining about different centuries and russian-anglo-saxter-turkish-persian shit they lost me.  Those helmets you are linking look "medieval" to me.  I know in the real world, that isn't true, but they do look like they belong in a world full of European/west asian chain & plate stuff.

I know thats not "logical" or "historically correct", but using "Historical Fantasty" as a guide, I think it fits the "Calradian Era" fine.  Like I said I think you've got a more obvious issue with Japanese and [argued for in this thread] Ancient Roman/Greek items.

This game is historical fiction, fantasy and all the bundle of sticksry that accompany it do not belong in warband.

The steal work on these helmets is much too advanced to be in the same period as medieval knights in plate armor. The reason these pieces of armor don't belong is that they are from the period of gunpowder.

I'm not saying that it should all be from one period, I'm just pointing out the inconsistancy regarding which armors are included and which are excluded. Since we have japanese crap, and crap from the gunpowder periods, there's no reason not to also include Roman and Greek armor as well, (not to mention byzantine armor which is sorely lacking). I'm not sure on what grounds these armors are being excluded, as the devs / admins aren't really being transparent about the armor selection process. It's a big problem for me if only certain groups are getting their armor in while other groups are being ignored.

my old friend #1 wants to run around in samurai armor slicing up dudes with his katana in a medieval game.
Devs: "Awesome, go do it!"

my old friend #2 loves his turkish heritage and wants to run around in ottoman gear like the Jannisariers of the 15th century.
Devs: "Well, I guess so, that stuff does look pretty cool."

my old friend #3 wants to run around in Greek / Roman armor with a pilla, gladias, hoplon, etc. restoring the glory of the Roman empire one corpse at a time.
Devs: "No. Because fuck you that's why."

Just doesn't make sense to me. I'd be fine with whatever they establish if they were a bit more consistent about it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Plate armor wasn't really used before the gunpowder period.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
You mean too expensive or that it barely existed?
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
all i can say is the new armors look like shit, damn they look like pyjamas, and overley shiney korean film outfits, only reason for devs to have put this in is a nice bit off bribe money and some lobbying,

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
I WANT PINK HAIR BACK FOR GODS SAKE

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
moved the topic where it belongs.

Offline Herald_Hardrata

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
moved the topic where it belongs.

Paraphrase: Saw criticism, moved the topic where less people will read it. Criticism addressed.

Offline Shik

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Gilmore Girls
(click to show/hide)
I'll bite. Note the text near the bottom.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Nice.

Offtopic: I'd love to see such a wep in cRPG.  :)

More field Polearms to the people!

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
Didn't Gorath or someone in ATS once try to do a "modernized" version of legionnary armor? It was supposed to capture the essence/look of roman type armor (lorica segmentata) with some medieval trappings.

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
Nice one shik.

As for the other guy - ouch burn.

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline mammoni

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
    • View Profile
It's just that having studied history in college these kinds of things tend to bother me more than the average gamer I guess.

The steal work on these helmets is much too advanced to be in the same period as medieval knights in plate armor.

Must have been one hell of an education. Public college?

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
  • Count the feathers on my Deli Cap!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans (GK)
  • Game nicks: GK_BattalGazi
  • IRC nick: BattalGazi
A passage extracted from "Armies of the Ottoman Turks 1300-1774 By David Nicolle, Angus McBride", please focus on the picture to the right and the explanation below that.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Polish steal work is the best.