Author Topic: You guys do know that what we have as the "Chichak" hemets are from 17c. right?  (Read 10356 times)

Offline Herald_Hardrata

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
You said it's really called a "capeline helmet." It's not, it's "really" called a Chichak, and it wasn't used by the Hussars. Only the capline, which was derived from the Chichak was used by the Hussars.

... you're missing the point of my argument. And btw, the Chichak and the Capeline are basically the same helmet. If they were really as different as you say they are wouldn't there be a separate Wikipedia article for them already?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile

... you're missing the point of my argument. And btw, the Chichak and the Capeline are basically the same helmet. If they were really as different as you say they are wouldn't there be a separate Wikipedia article for them already?

I'm missing no point. I'm not arguing against your "point", simply saying that c-RPG didn't get the name of the helmet wrong.

There being no separate Wikipedia article for the Chichak proves... nothing.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Herald_Hardrata

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I'm missing no point. I'm not arguing against your "point", simply saying that c-RPG didn't get the name of the helmet wrong.

There being no separate Wikipedia article for the Chichak proves... nothing.

It proves that "Capeline" is the more commonly known term used to refer to that style of helmet. My original argument had nothing to do with semantics, But if you really want to be that guy and nit pick over petty somatic details... It was not my intention to say that it "wasn't called a chichak helmet", I simply clarified that it's actually more commonly known as the capeline. If it wasn't, why would google pull up "capeline" when I search "Chichak helmet"?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
It proves that "Capeline" is the more commonly known term used to refer to that style of helmet. My original argument had nothing to do with semantics, But if you really want to be that guy and nit pick over petty somatic details... It was not my intention to say that it "wasn't called a chichak helmet", I simply clarified that it's actually more commonly known as the capeline. If it wasn't, why would google pull up "capeline" when I search "Chichak helmet"?

no it wasn't more commonly called the capeline, the capeline is another helmet completely, although similar in design.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 2992
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
I believe that this guy is midly retarded.

Offline Herald_Hardrata

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
no it wasn't more commonly called the capeline, the capeline is another helmet completely, although similar in design.

You don't think they're highly similar in appearance and design? Also, the ones in game (if you've gotten a chance to check them out yet) even have have the "lobster tails". Dede's pictures don't even have lobster tails, it seems like the capeline, or "chichak" style of helmets had a lot of variation, and can easily be mistaken for one another.

Whatever the case, I don't really care as this is going off topic. I'm only going to respond to replies about my original point from now on as this semantic discussion is rather trivial, and no one is contributing alternative sources.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:25:58 pm by Herald_Hardrata »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
+3
Well, chichak is a very common word.

In hungarian we have a similar word, 'Sisak', it sounds almost the same.

Guess what it means? Helmet. Any kind of a helmet from the medieval knight's, to the modern biker helmets.
Timeline doesn't matter.

So guess what, they once called a helmet a helmet, and they did it again later!

It isn't rocket science, really.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:31:22 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
Its not fantasy. Rather a historical fiction.

Have I ever professed my most undying love to you?
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
All I'm reading here is flimsy excuses as to why throwing horses have not yet been implemented.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Turk_Otto_Knight

• Knight
  • Renown: 75
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Otto_Knight_the_Bastard ShaMeraN ASlut
  • IRC nick: Otto_Knight
Flamberge ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamberge#Flambard.2C_flammard.2C_and_Flammenschwert
(click to show/hide)

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
+1
Cichak is fine, but latest crpg period/era.

I think what you should be argueing is why we got 10 turkish helmets, more than half of which's time period is questionable to just barely early enough, and, that we get 10 variations that arent that unique, that cover 10 different additions, but only 3 or 4 models. In fact the Cichak is one of the ones that IS period correct, if just barely.

I mean if your gonna add stuff add 4-5 turkish helmets  (Not the questionable, or ones that only change is add a feather etc.) and 5-6 OTHER designs.   

They are very good models and texture jobs, dont get me wrong.  We dont need 10 of em, at the expense of other things that could have been put in, that add something more than 'late Turkish' period.

And 'period' does matter.

chadz knows this and the dev team knows this too.

Outside of my personal likes and opinion, it does matter, and it is an attraction of the game.  Whether ya like it or not, or even realize it or not, it would not be the same, if you had alot of fantasy items, and way-off time period items.  The mod, would become a parody, and die like an old joke.

-Back to my opinion:

Ancient Greek & Roman legion armor are WAAAAAAAAAAY early for this games time period.  It would, bother anyone who is trying to get into the medieval fiction that is the fields of Calradia.

If they put it in, they also make its weight and its vulnerabilities reflected in the statistics.  I'm strongly against including them, but I dont have any control over things...

I think it would kill the medieval feeling for alot of people though...

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
Medieval feel? Crpg feels more like a renaissance turko-russian world than anything resebling medieval europe. There are no knights, no men at arms, just a smattering of randomers dressed in weeabo/russian/turkish/plate armor with steppe archers and light cavalry.... No one goes around with a great lance, or outfitted in armor and destrier. I never had the "medieval" feeling when i joined crpg, because immediately i see out of context weeabos, chinese swords, plate armored sprinters, with some caldarian armor and weapon. Then subsequent items were the russian items, THEN now we see turkish items, what kind of medieval simulation is this?

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
  • Count the feathers on my Deli Cap!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans (GK)
  • Game nicks: GK_BattalGazi
  • IRC nick: BattalGazi
Medieval feel? Crpg feels more like a renaissance turko-russian world than anything resebling medieval europe. There are no knights, no men at arms, just a smattering of randomers dressed in weeabo/russian/turkish/plate armor with steppe archers and light cavalry.... No one goes around with a great lance, or outfitted in armor and destrier. I never had the "medieval" feeling when i joined crpg, because immediately i see out of context weeabos, chinese swords, plate armored sprinters, with some caldarian armor and weapon. Then subsequent items were the russian items, THEN now we see turkish items, what kind of medieval simulation is this?

1) This mod was never Turkish adjusted until the recent items are added. Either you are too new for the game or you are just diverting the subject.
2) Chichak is early 15th century Ottoman helmet, and is the only Turkish item that belongs to such a late era compared to others. Boerks ( and solak which is a modified version of boerk ) are far older than that (13-14th century items). Deli cap tries to represent the headgear of "Delis", a light cavalry unit operational on borders, which originated in early 15th century.
3) I presume that you are living in western Europe, where you would want to see medieval through your borders, but, frankly, during mediaval time, Chinese and Turks were there ...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:43:15 am by BattalGazi »

Offline DrTaco

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • Your eternal reward
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swashbucklers
  • Game nicks: Magical Toaster
In my earlier words to a topic near this one.

We need more silly items and armors in CRPG. Fuck you and your historical stat bullshit. I want to have a good time. Also, in the words of Tears Of Destiny, "Calradia never existed" OH YES.

Twisting my words for this certain thread, fuck you(1) and your historical stat bullshit. Give me some awesome looking armors. But silly are of more importance, in my opinion.

(1) You, here, is regarding whoever wants to stay within one period.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:50:49 am by DrTaco »
Don't take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
I want 3rd century Chinese armor.
And how!