Author Topic: Footmen, and their incredible stupid hateful feelings towards friendly horses  (Read 4752 times)

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Cavalry has a very low skill floor and a high skill ceiling. This describes most roles in this game, but is especially true of Cav. It is rather easy to pick up cav and do quite well on the scoreboards but to be an amazing cav takes good timing, awareness and other such skills.

Cav friendly fire is generally a result of a lack of awareness on the part of either of the parties involves, or a result of Cav greed. Lack of awareness appears to be congenital to playing this game and as such is far more acceptable to me than friendly fire due to greed on the cavalryman's part.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:25:33 pm by Bothersome_Aldryk »

Offline MrNicklebe

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Despite the OP's obvious trolling I have to agree with him about the cav helping guys who are obviously about to be slaughtered.

I try to help these people if I can by bumping the player who's about to dice them into tiny pieces. But some (perhaps stubborn?) players decide to step between me and the target causing me to veer away quickly to avoid bumping them both. I'm not looking to take your kill I just wanna stop you getting killed so you can go on to contribute to the team winning the round.

The same sort of thing applies to many situations. If I see a guy going for the easy peasant kill I'll try to lance him. If I see 3 guys on one team mate i'll try and even the odds etc. I know there are cav who don't play like this and will slam through team mates just to get 1 measly kill and that's a shame but I promise you, not all cav are like that  :P

Pre-patch before I played as cav I used to think they were pretty dumb in the way they would seem to charge into trees or walls or other players. But now I realise they were probably looking in the totally opposite direction. Cav's heads are on a 360 swivel trying to find targets of opportunity as well as trying to avoid bumping team mates, avoid pikes, and dodge arrows, stones, javelins, flying axes. I've had many occasions when I've been multitasking like this and have bumped a team mate by accident in the process.

Genuine mistakes happen a lot in this game, so forgive for those. But by all means name and shame cav who care little for men on foot  :mrgreen:

Offline GaenaralHONK

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd_Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_War_GaenaralHONK ; 22nd_Honkytonky ; Swafnir ; Imma_Throw_Up
i as infantry also have 360° swivel watching out what happens round me, not only cav likes battleawareness

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2782
  • Infamy: 785
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Cavalry has a very low skill floor and a high skill ceiling. This describes most roles in this game, but is especially true of Cav. It is rather easy to pick up cav and do quite well on the scoreboards but to be an amazing cav takes good timing, awareness and other such skills.

Cav friendly fire is generally a result of a lack of awareness on the part of either of the parties involves, or a result of Cav greed. Lack of awareness appears to be congenital to playing this game and as such is far more acceptable to me than friendly fire due to greed on the cavalryman's part.

Both are true. I'm still at the beginning aka not skilled enough with a lance and in most cases I avoid helping my teammate when he's having duel with enemy player. Only when I'm completely sure that I won't stab my own with my heavy lance I hop in and kill the enemy footman.

Offline nuffen

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Nuffen Fallen_Lilith Fallen_Little_Nuff
  • IRC nick: nuffen
+1
If your charging into a melee-fight on a horse, its YOUR responsibility to not harm your teammate, because your the one in control. Your teammate cant choose to not involve himself in a situation with a horseman (sometimes totally careless about infantery, like michael, ive seen him in action). If you, as a cavalry, wanna involve yourself in a melee-fight, you should make sure you wont hit your teammate with the horse (means, keep distance), and make sure you wont hit him/her before you attack.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
No, horses have the right of way. Horses ALWAYS have the right of way. The only time you get right of way is when you show some evidence of you disputing the right of way with a charging horse. It does not have to be video evidence, a scan of your hospital bill for fixing your 3 broken ribs is sufficient.

If you do not take issue with a horses right of way in your life, why do you think you should be able to do so in mount and blade?

This said, I always steer clear of blind pedestrians. Some friendlies get so easily spooked they will kill my horse. I try to help the ones out numbered 3 to 1, but after finding that friendlies love to move into the horse, I usually leave them alone to their death.

Offline GaenaralHONK

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd_Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_War_GaenaralHONK ; 22nd_Honkytonky ; Swafnir ; Imma_Throw_Up
No, horses have the right of way. Horses ALWAYS have the right of way. The only time you get right of way is when you show some evidence of you disputing the right of way with a charging horse. It does not have to be video evidence, a scan of your hospital bill for fixing your 3 broken ribs is sufficient.

If you do not take issue with a horses right of way in your life, why do you think you should be able to do so in mount and blade?

This said, I always steer clear of blind pedestrians. Some friendlies get so easily spooked they will kill my horse. I try to help the ones out numbered 3 to 1, but after finding that friendlies love to move into the horse, I usually leave them alone to their death.

My gosh ppl should stop making all these "in RL it's that way so it's gotta be this way in game!!!1111" arguments - we are playing a damn game where your TEAM's gotta win, so the stupid horsemen might be less stupid if they managed not bumping and slashing and poking their own teammates

Offline nuffen

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Nuffen Fallen_Lilith Fallen_Little_Nuff
  • IRC nick: nuffen
My gosh ppl should stop making all these "in RL it's that way so it's gotta be this way in game!!!1111" arguments - we are playing a damn game where your TEAM's gotta win, so the stupid horsemen might be less stupid if they managed not bumping and slashing and poking their own teammates
I think hes just trolling, no worry. If he behaved like that ingame he would have a long history of bans :)

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
+1
I agree with Lilith. If the cav wants to intervene, its his responsibility to not hit his teammate. That teammate has no idea a cav is about to charge at him. He's too busy trying to block and swing and stay alive. Can't do the 360 spin around in a sword fight. As a failed cav guy, I know its harder to lance than it appears and some horses move like buses. I suck at it. If you cannot spear someone with pinpoint accuracy without mowing down the whole group, just stay away. I'd rather die from my own manual blocking shittiness than getting knocked over several times by my teammate, followed by a sword through the skull from my enemy. TommyHue seems to be good at killing who needs to be killed. Learn from him.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
It might be a game, but real life forms the basis for it. How else will you explain why a kitchen knife does less damage in CRPG compared to say a scimitar? If we threw out every real life benchmark, can I have horses that fly and shoot fire from their nostrils? Or dresses with 60 armour?

In case you did not read the full post I do not advocate running down infantry. Infantry need to know that in times when they see a friendly horseman coming towards them, THEY need to move out of the way AS WELL. The horseman obviously does not want to bowl them over, and is probably trying their best to avoid them, but several factors can cause this to be difficult to achieve, such as getting chased and sandwiched by 2 enemy cav (turn too much and eat a lance), parthian shots, horse maneuvers like a brick etc. Plus there is the whole energy conservation thing that is important in cav duels. So help the horsemen out and step out of the way as well, and they will help you.

I hate any unfortunate accidents that happen, and avoid it as much as humanely possible (I play America's army, where I found it better to be shot by an unconfirmed target than to risk accidentally kill a teammate. I obviously get type scummed a lot for actually asking me team to report in..)  but its no real skin off the horseman's teeth if he bowls you over, as the knocking over usually does not result in a direct tk, but often gets the pedestrian killed indirectly instead. So for the love of horses, please move away for your own sake. Don't stand staring at my horse with puppy eyes expecting me to do all the moving. I am dodging enemy lancers as well as friendly unaware crunchies already. This is what is meant horses have the right of way. Dispute this right of way at your own peril.

Up next, watch someone dispute right of way with a M1A1 or an armoured bulldozer. More at 10.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:01:30 am by kongxinga »

Offline Bull

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
While the sheer amount of trolls made me laugh out loud when reading this, I thought I'd chime in.

Most of the time, it is totally the cavalryman's fault for friendly horse-bumping. I am a cavalryman, and rarely has anyone just "jumped in my way". Its only when I meddle in situations that I ought not to that I bump a friendly - IE, someone going 1 vs 1 against an enemy.

I'd say that as a cav, you gotta understand the risks of riding a horse. Careening around a corner at full gallop has the inherent risk that a friendly is just around that corner. As does charging down the damn middle of a bridge when the two sides are engaged; sure, you might lance an enemy, but you better bet you're gonna knock over a friendly or two.

That being said, if a friendly is outnumbered 2 to 1 or 3 to 1, I just charge in, bump the crap outta everyone, and try to lance one. But, that's the only time I would ever purposefully bump a teammate.

And, for the record, espite all the raging that's happened against us horse-lovers since the patch, I'd say FF horse bumps are among the best things implemented.

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I think it is ok to bump everyone if its a 2 or 3vs1 situation with your friendly outnumbered, as long as you bump the friendly first if possible. This allows him to get up first to slash one enemy. Bumping the enemy from behind and then going through your friendly seems to paradoxically get your friendly killed. Obviously bumping only enemies is the most desirable, but is rare enough to be impractical.

I remember a game where it was 2 wounded cav versus 2 tin cans, with me as one wounded HA with no melee. Bumped one guy and the other cav slashed him, then the other cav got stopped and dehorsed by one of those large sword thingies. Enemy was overhanding for a coup de grace. Only thing to do was to bump the friendly and the enemy. No time for fancy maneuvers to avoid the friendly. Friendly got up, slashed the enemy, enemy slashed my horse (got stuck as well) because of his unbridled horse hate, team mate killed the guy GG.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:47:07 am by kongxinga »

Offline DoggsofWar

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Well I will put my 2 cents in.

As pure infantry melee I am outnumbered in fights often and LOVE, may i repeat LOVE when Cav comes swooping in to save my ass!! Sure maybe he bumps me once in a while but at that same time he usually takes down a enemy soldier.

So keep it up Cav and anyone whos bitching leave'm a load from the rear end of you horse.

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Glad you appreciate the thankless job of cav. Sometimes I save a guy outnumbered 3-1 and he accuses me of kill stealing? I got one of them and helped you get 2 (bumps, damage and distraction) and I was kill stealing? There is no such thing as kill stealing, only teamwork.

And as cav I do feel sorry when I have to bump a friendly for any reason, even if I was trying to help him for his benefit. Alert and smart infantry are cav's best friend. They help in getting out of the way and also pike the enemy 2 cav wingman element behind you. Riding near them is a blessing. Crunchies who insist on re enacting that protester (now IHOP spokesperson) versus the IDF bulldozer scene are a more dangerous battlefield hazard than enemy anticav cav. I give those guys a WIDE berth.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:54:31 am by kongxinga »

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
+1
Footmen have no problems with good friendly cav that help them to either get the kill or survive the fight.

Footmen have problems with dumbass friendly cav who couch them while they're fighting a turtled-up spearman.

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg