Author Topic: On Speed  (Read 4025 times)

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: On Speed
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 06:38:56 pm »
You can do combat faster by doing it more complicated. Complicated combat=easier to make mistake. Without increasing the speed.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 06:45:17 pm »
we had this come up quite often already.  wonder how mush more we gotta ask for it till its given a try.  it worked with all the nerfing,  maybe some buffing-whine works as well
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 06:50:30 pm »
Melee weapons decreased in effectiveness as people learned to block and read feints. Now melee combat is all about footwork and I really miss the fights when feints and hold were useful. We sort of lost half the melee mechanics.

Speed up the game, so people have to pay attention to blocks and feints again, instead of 100% "trololo my movements are faster and my wep is longer !" bullshit.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 06:53:04 pm »
+1
So, since a lot more people have the know-how AND the possibility to have a chance against feints and held attacks, they are somehow lost to the game? There is more to melee, than just feinting and holding...

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 08:28:13 pm »
So, since a lot more people have the know-how AND the possibility to have a chance against feints and held attacks, they are somehow lost to the game? There is more to melee, than just feinting and holding...

Now there is less than before, because holds and feints are too easily readable. Making them effective again won't magically make footwork ineffective.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 08:42:50 pm »
i love both the speed for crpg and native. CRPG feels a lot more "mental" than native, while native is all about the "reflex". I enjoy both styles of combat, you'll be surprised how fun it is to actually chamber a hold after getting raped by the same person over and over again.

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DenBitre_Sir_Agor
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 08:57:42 pm »
if my arbalest will reload like xbow in native, it will be awesome 8-) :D
shooting at people from a reachable place as last man standing is not delaying. Even if you're on the other side of the map.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 09:24:16 pm »
+4
I can relate with the nostalgia, but I don't agree with buffing the speed to native level. I don't feel it's as slow as you make it sound. Maybe because it's been a while that I was on my gaming rig and have been playing with an average of 45 frames per second, but still. I like what c-rpg has turned into, it's way harder to fight in Battle than it used to be and timing has become more important than ever. Before it was just who had the craziest reactions and fastest finger finesse. Well, not only but you get my point.

However, yes, I really do miss those olden times. I kinda wondered somewhere along April this year what had happened but I couldn't really put my finger on it. I remember dueling some of the better duelists in EU a year ago and it was just packed with crazy feints and chambers, sometimes even consecutive counter-chambers for laughs (overhead chamber, thrust chamber etc)while at the same time dueling in the most serious of manners.

Although I would not say present c-rpg is like chess, at all. It may be slower, yes. But that comparison is unjustified. There are many ways to literally overcome your opponents, not just by waiting for them to make mistakes. It may require more time now than it used to, but it's fully and well do-able. Feinting is one of the most fundamental ways, and always has been. You just have to think more rock-paper-scissor than relying on sheer reaction.

One more thing that I almost forgot; by slowing down the pace a tad you are allowing room for a group of people who both master the reflex part and also the creative and innovative part. People who not only can block well and know how to hilt slash, but who analyze the battlefield in battles and their opponents in duel and use their mind instead of just instinct, or a combination of the two.  This fact alone gives great dignity to the even greater mechanics that we have the fortune to possess in this timeless game.

I say timeless because I know I will still play this 10 years from now. The future is bright, indeed.  :)
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 09:59:25 pm »
I can relate with the nostalgia, but I don't agree with buffing the speed to native level. I don't feel it's as slow as you make it sound. Maybe because it's been a while that I was on my gaming rig and have been playing with an average of 45 frames per second, but still. I like what c-rpg has turned into, it's way harder to fight in Battle than it used to be and timing has become more important than ever. Before it was just who had the craziest reactions and fastest finger finesse. Well, not only but you get my point.

However, yes, I really do miss those olden times. I kinda wondered somewhere along April this year what had happened but I couldn't really put my finger on it. I remember dueling some of the better duelists in EU a year ago and it was just packed with crazy feints and chambers, sometimes even consecutive counter-chambers for laughs (overhead chamber, thrust chamber etc)while at the same time dueling in the most serious of manners.

Although I would not say present c-rpg is like chess, at all. It may be slower, yes. But that comparison is unjustified. There are many ways to literally overcome your opponents, not just by waiting for them to make mistakes. It may require more time now than it used to, but it's fully and well do-able. Feinting is one of the most fundamental ways, and always has been. You just have to think more rock-paper-scissor than relying on sheer reaction.

One more thing that I almost forgot; by slowing down the pace a tad you are allowing room for a group of people who both master the reflex part and also the creative and innovative part. People who not only can block well and know how to hilt slash, but who analyze the battlefield in battles and their opponents in duel and use their mind instead of just instinct, or a combination of the two.  This fact alone gives great dignity to the even greater mechanics that we have the fortune to possess in this timeless game.

I say timeless because I know I will still play this 10 years from now. The future is bright, indeed.  :)

I agree- it's why I mentioned that there's no real reason to raise the speed. I do think it's like chess in that every time I'm playing cRPG, I'm thinking these days. I have time to process these thoughts and react accordingly- it's very...tactical. I can study my opponents more effectively and adopt a strategy to deal with theirs, etc.

I guess the thing is, I can do this in most games. I can't attack/feint/chamber/block in multiple directions and test my motor control and speed in those games, though. It's hard to describe, because, like I said, I know exactly why the speeds are the way they are- and I know it's good for the game and overall balance. It's just that I personally don't enjoy it as much.

If there was some way to make the speed setting work, so that we could have a duel server set on fast, that'd be awesome.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 07:18:28 am »
Personally I say screw people (in the least offensive way possible :P) who have bad ping, why should the rest of us suffer because some people can't afford proper Internet or live in a 3rd World Country where proper Internet isn't available

Give us a west coast server then so we can quit playing against people with 10-30 pings with our 80-120 pings?
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 08:53:54 am »
How about we make the 140 -180 wpf area NOT negligible, and actually worth something?

Maybe make slower builds block slower (although that might decrease some of the fun factor).

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 12:37:57 pm »
How about we make the 140 -180 wpf area NOT negligible, and actually worth something?

Maybe make slower builds block slower (although that might decrease some of the fun factor).

That would make spamming an even bigger incentive...

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 01:27:50 pm »
damn my ping is usually 80-120 range i would love a west coast server.but i do not really understand the problem here cant u guys just make one server that is fast and see how it goes? i does not have to be a "across the board boost" or is there some factor im not seeing that makes that impossible?  :?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 12:53:30 am »
At the moment, the game is actually playable for people with 80-100 ping. There are currently a large number of people who play with that ping.

On native medium, 100 ping is a pretty severe disadvantage. On native fastest, you're pretty much toast.

That being said, I would like to see a few fastest dueling servers. I've never met anybody who could block perfectly at fastest speed, which makes for really interesting fights.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:54:59 am by Vodner »

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel