Author Topic: On Speed  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
Re: On Speed
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 12:47:34 pm »
^ low blow.....but its still legal  :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 02:23:16 pm »
This is the best idea I have seen to date. Lately I have been experiencing a lot of turtlers (as I call them), people who just wait for you to make a mistake, only attacking when they know they have blocked you. They remind of the how the game was when it just came out; everyone running around with axe/sword and shield, only attacking when they had heard the noice of a sword hitting thier shield. This leeds to very boring duels, and as I am one of the most impatient duellers around, I end up during wierd things just to make the duel more interesting or actual come to an end.
One of the worst cases I have experience is when I was fighting a guy, who did nothing besides backpedle and waiting for me to have hit his block before attack. I enden up having chamber blocked him fifteen times, but they are too easy to block because they are so slow.
The slow speed of the game have really made the many duels boring. Because it is now more about how long you want to wait before they duel should end, or how much you backpedle. I like the idea that footwork has some importance to the outcome of the duel, but nowadays it means too much. All you need is a long weapon and 7+ ath, then you can kill everyone who has a shorter weapon than you.
Please keep in mind that there are still many interesting duels out there.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 03:20:59 pm »
This is the best idea I have seen to date. Lately I have been experiencing a lot of turtlers (as I call them), people who just wait for you to make a mistake, only attacking when they know they have blocked you. They remind of the how the game was when it just came out; everyone running around with axe/sword and shield, only attacking when they had heard the noice of a sword hitting thier shield. This leeds to very boring duels, and as I am one of the most impatient duellers around, I end up during wierd things just to make the duel more interesting or actual come to an end.
One of the worst cases I have experience is when I was fighting a guy, who did nothing besides backpedle and waiting for me to have hit his block before attack. I enden up having chamber blocked him fifteen times, but they are too easy to block because they are so slow.
The slow speed of the game have really made the many duels boring. Because it is now more about how long you want to wait before they duel should end, or how much you backpedle. I like the idea that footwork has some importance to the outcome of the duel, but nowadays it means too much. All you need is a long weapon and 7+ ath, then you can kill everyone who has a shorter weapon than you.

(click to show/hide)

Sheesh, Byrdi. Ever heard of paragraphs? :lol:

Well I don't know what to input on your post, maybe don't duel people you don't like fighting? Works for me.  :)
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1634
  • Infamy: 2898
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 04:13:51 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Sorry man, but the likes of are simply bad at attacking, footwork is our only chance :(

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 04:39:20 pm »
+1
Sorry man, but the likes of are simply bad at attacking

Ping is probably at least the reason for 50% of the people you're talking about.  High ping means you have to play alot more conservatively.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 07:32:34 am »
My point is just that this form of dueling is a result of the slow game pace ;(
And, yes, I tend to avoide duelling these guys.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 08:14:43 pm »
+2
i miss fast speed too... when timing was super essential... im all for goraths idea of buffing agi a bit though instead of just blanket increase on speed... give people a reason to stop going 36/3.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2466
  • Infamy: 769
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 09:31:11 pm »
i miss fast speed too... when timing was super essential... im all for goraths idea of buffing agi a bit though instead of just blanket increase on speed... give people a reason to stop going 36/3.

You obviously don't know who is Byzantium_Chase. He has it all, perfect block, great feints, good footwork, great battlefield awareness, know all the maps but most importantly the main reason why he kills everything in his path (not matter how good duelist he's against) is his perfect timing. He'll always strike before you do. Timing matters now more than before. I'm not among better duelists but I'm not total crap either but I lack many components. People like me are the ones who duel for 15 minutes, not because of slow game pace, it's because we have crappy slow ass feints, not so good footwork and we suck at chamber blocking. People who have all those qualities finish their duels in seconds.

Faster swings and gameplay would just produce new breed of katana spammers (since it's buffed and hot item atm).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:32:17 pm by Leshma »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 10:01:46 pm »
+1
Fast speed would be ok, if my ping was under 50. Increasing game speed will make good pings (10-20) freaking godlike, not that they aren't godlike now.

I'm up for buffing WPF/agi though. Full STR low WPF builds are WAY too viable.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:03:23 pm by Vibe »

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 11:21:00 pm »
You obviously don't know who is Byzantium_Chase. He has it all, perfect block, great feints, good footwork, great battlefield awareness, know all the maps but most importantly the main reason why he kills everything in his path (not matter how good duelist he's against) is his perfect timing. He'll always strike before you do. Timing matters now more than before. I'm not among better duelists but I'm not total crap either but I lack many components. People like me are the ones who duel for 15 minutes, not because of slow game pace, it's because we have crappy slow ass feints, not so good footwork and we suck at chamber blocking. People who have all those qualities finish their duels in seconds.

Faster swings and gameplay would just produce new breed of katana spammers (since it's buffed and hot item atm).

THB Chase has a 15/24+ 2h build, which really points out of important it is to have high agi, it isnt fair to compare the stereotype two hander with everyone else. They have the abillity to be fast enough to outrange everyone and the speed to do unblockable chamber.

The main problems is that most niether 1h or polearms have the abillity to compete on a 15/24; one handers dont do enough damage and polearms have lousy animations or require to much str to use them.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 11:22:07 pm »

Suuuure. Fanboi alert! You do realize that good duelists have perfect timing or they won't be good, Leshma?

And Byrdi, Chase had a 21/18 build.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:23:27 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 11:30:12 pm »
+1

but like kalam said dont take it to the levels it used to be
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 11:30:39 pm »
+1
Suuuure. Fanboi alert! You do realize that good duelists have perfect timing or they won't be good, Leshma?

And Byrdi, Chase had a 21/18 build.

How can you realise something you have no idea about in the first place?

And Chase is apparently a one-hander now :shock:.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 887
  • Infamy: 1681
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 11:38:40 pm »
You two are just mad cause you can't kill him. That probably has especially negative influence on your sub 18 year old egos.

Also, Bjord: :shock:

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 11:46:29 pm »
Uh-huh, Leshma.

And stfu bjurrd you suxx0rz