Author Topic: Get off the roof, Archers!  (Read 7167 times)

Offline Odion

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Odion_IV, Odion_Power
Re: Get off the roof, Archers!
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2011, 12:18:32 pm »
+1
ok you can use your "strategy and cunning" to camp the roof.

and i will use my "strategy and cunning" to not engange you in battle, because it wont be cunning to climb the ladder as a 2hander when there are 5 archers up on the roof taking aim at you. its also not cunning to carry a ladder to place on the roof as they will destroy it as soon as they see it.

i guess the only cunning thing left to do as a 2hander is to camp behind a wall and not get hit, while you camp the roof.

enjoy your draws.

this is why i no longer play battle.

Offline highglandeur

• Count
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2011, 12:47:06 pm »
+1
I agree, people are always going to be little bitches who blame anything that affects them badly on some outside source other than themselves and that psychology has pretty much proven this to be the NATURAL behaviour of human kind but you know what? What comes natural is not always correct or the best way to do things, or some thing that we have to forever surrender to. If everyone ever born thought that way, we would have no science, art, philosophy, peace, anything, because our natural tendancy is to be lazy, always favour immediate satisfaction over the bigger picture, and fear and distrust anything we aren't familiar with...
...Now, that said, a realist has to acknowledge that this is going to be the natural behaviour of the community and expect people to act this way sometimes and not get to angry about it. But it should not be condoned, promoted, applauded or encouraged by Admins. It should at least be ignored, and at best, discouraged.

Just for that part I promise I'll stop complaining about archers on the chat for a while...

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2011, 01:29:26 pm »
+1
Sorry for spelling mistakes i am typing this via my mobile phone.

Being the last archer (or group) alive on a unreachable roof when you have noone on the ground is delaying and is against the rules.

That is why people rage and say gtf off that roof.

You will be warned by an admin to get down and kicked if you do not comply.

Or you will be kick polled. 

You may consider this cunning or whatever but its still delaying and against the rules thus making it pointless to moan about it or moan about other people expressing their discontent with this behaviour.

Now my opinion on the reason why people whine about roofs before the rule breaking conditions have been met is probably because in frequent situations roof camping does ultimately leed to the roof campers being the last ones alive and delaying. Now from a roofcampers point of view this might be fun but i dount the rest of the people thst want to play would be content wit this thus the rage.

A solution that i have already stated before could be tweaking the maps that almost all roofs have preset indestructible ladders efectively removing the need for ladders from battle. This woul require alot of work tho.

Another solutoon would be making the ladders in battle mode indestructable.
Less work, only a matter of code but the problem here is that people would misuse the ladders to block paths or grief.

Imo solution 1 is better if only someone would do the tedious task of changing maps.(i myself do mot have this knowledge nor do i have the time)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:32:19 pm by Fluffy_Muffin »
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2011, 03:15:16 pm »
+5
It's not just the last ranged guy on a roof hiding that's the big problem Fluffy. It's the general idea of "I'mma camp a roof and make half the enemy team useless" that's going on. It just needs to be removed altogether.

Like I pointed out earlier, a ranged guy on the ground can kill the enemy JUST AS WELL as a ranged guy on a roof. Being on the roof doesn't add bonuses to their weapons. It just makes them invulnerable to anything but other ranged, and that's a load of crap.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2011, 03:33:43 pm »
+1
It's not just the last ranged guy on a roof hiding that's the big problem Fluffy. It's the general idea of "I'mma camp a roof and make half the enemy team useless" that's going on. It just needs to be removed altogether.

Like I pointed out earlier, a ranged guy on the ground can kill the enemy JUST AS WELL as a ranged guy on a roof. Being on the roof doesn't add bonuses to their weapons. It just makes them invulnerable to anything but other ranged, and that's a load of crap.
This.

There are many archers who do much better on the ground than the average roofcamper does (actually the best archers rarely or never roofcamp). I would say 1 warning by the admin and then kick if they don't leave the roof. It can't be that the admin shouts "get down off the roof" 30 times and those my old friends shoot till they have no ammo left and then jump down.

Or better just remove ladders from battle...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2011, 03:55:42 pm »
+1
This.

There are many archers who do much better on the ground than the average roofcamper does (actually the best archers rarely or never roofcamp). I would say 1 warning by the admin and then kick if they don't leave the roof. It can't be that the admin shouts "get down off the roof" 30 times and those my old friends shoot till they have no ammo left and then jump down.

Or better just remove ladders from battle...

As an admin, roofcampers get 1 warning. If they shoot even one arrow/bolt/anything else after the warning, they are kicked. And yet this isn't enough, they usually do it again next round.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2011, 05:41:31 pm »
+1
As an admin, roofcampers get 1 warning. If they shoot even one arrow/bolt/anything else after the warning, they are kicked. And yet this isn't enough, they usually do it again next round.
I've never saw any admin kicking roofcampers right after the warning when they continued with the bundle of sticksry. They usually shout "get down" a dozen times and maybe one or two roofcampers get kicked at the end of the round. Next round all campers are up on the roofs again... I think, if they're not able to learn it that way, remove their ability to get on roofs (ladders) and the problem is solved.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2011, 06:50:36 pm »
+1
Other than archers breaking ladders and getting in unreachable spots what's the problem?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:09:47 pm by Lichen »

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2011, 08:09:22 pm »
+1
Other than archers breaking ladders and getting in unreachable spots what's the problem?

Other than the fact of using broken game mechanics to get an advantage and negate 1/2 or more of the other teams players? Other than the fact that ranged on a roof has no counter except other ranged (probably on another roof)? Not much, really.

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2011, 08:47:06 pm »
+1
lol i dont whine and im no noob. im skilled crossbowman and love archers for breakfast!
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2011, 09:33:06 pm »
+1
Other than the fact of using broken game mechanics to get an advantage and negate 1/2 or more of the other teams players? Other than the fact that ranged on a roof has no counter except other ranged (probably on another roof)? Not much, really.
I wonder if those lords back in medieval times complained a lot. 'please get down archers! broken game mechanics FYI!'

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2011, 10:29:01 pm »
+1
I wonder if those lords back in medieval times complained a lot. 'please get down archers! broken game mechanics FYI!'

And the point of your post is ? You know, the australian waters include 45 species of whales, HA !

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2011, 10:31:02 pm »
+2
And the point of your post is ? You know, the australian waters include 45 species of whales, HA !

I c whut u did ther.

Also, yes roofcamping is bs - "safespots" should not exist, especially if you can still "fight" effectively from them

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2011, 10:31:45 pm »
+1

Archers probably didn't go stomping around on thatched roofs back in medieval times.

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2011, 10:42:02 pm »
+1

I wonder why both sides of a fight absolutely detested sieges in medieval times. I wonder why the IRL solution to archers camping a roof isn't available, namely, setting it on fire and listening to the bastards scream. Could it be because it's a game?

Also, yes roofcamping is bs - "safespots" should not exist, especially if you can still "fight" effectively from them

Exactly, Dezilagel.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:44:16 pm by Kophka »