Poll

I would rather...

play on the NA side, the NA_cRPG_3 server gives me better pings
376 (36.6%)
play on the EU side, the EU_cRPG_3 server gives me better pings
651 (63.4%)

Total Members Voted: 1027

Voting closed: September 16, 2011, 08:55:42 am

Author Topic: Strategus wipe - new features - vote for your continent!  (Read 75685 times)

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
Re: Strategus wipe - new features - vote for your continent!
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2011, 06:16:10 pm »
I don't know about that, I saw more than a handful of European clans down in Afgoonistan back in beginning times.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2011, 06:18:05 pm »
+1
Oh Yes, the right side and middle of the map was very active, but it seemed like for the entire strat, the left side was busy... having wild naked parites?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2011, 06:19:05 pm »
+1
Oh Yes, the right side and middle of the map was very active, but it seemed like for the entire strat, the left side was busy... having wild naked parites?

Worshipping donkeys.

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2011, 06:19:25 pm »
I think whole southern area was quite a hotspot in itself, while yes the activity in the Eastern part of the Desert were alittle bit more peaceful.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2011, 06:20:13 pm »
I think whole southern area was quite a hotspot in itself, while yes the activity in the Eastern part of the Desert were alittle bit more peaceful.

I meant the entire Caldradian Map.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2011, 06:21:42 pm »
Oh- nevermind me then.  :oops:

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA
  • Game nicks: CSA_Gen_Robert_E_Leet
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2011, 06:27:10 pm »
A big reason that NA clans had to fight so much is because aside from NE and LLJK, most NA clans didn't have any inherited claims from last strategus unlike many EU clans, so they had to try and force their way in somewhere. Of course, if the NA side of the map is too small we're going to have the exact same problem.
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2011, 06:27:44 pm »
I would like to see things like blacksmith, messenger, thief, etc who can all do various things to effect and add depth to the gameworld as well. Also the ability to get paid in crpg gold for things/actions/goods sold etc done in strategus would be a huge motivation to play.

What of the clanless, neutral stragglers?

Are we bound to sell our hard-earned every-hour gold and troops to the highest bidder out there? (Not that I have an objection for making easy cRPG gold :P)
There should be a way to do that directly within strategus.

edit:
If the economy works, I'm thinking of allowing transferring money out of strat into crpg so you neutral people can profit from it, too.
Yes, please!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:30:40 pm by Lichen »

Offline Rikthor

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BOARD Clan
  • Game nicks: Historian_Rikthorrr
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2011, 06:41:58 pm »
I don't know about that, I saw more than a handful of European clans down in Afgoonistan back in beginning times.

Because Shogunate and company thought they could simply wipe us all off the map since we are so awful at the game.

(click to show/hide)

I agree with the wipe, that was needed. This percentage based land distribution not so much.  It's easy enough to game polls, I mean like what happened with Nuffen when clans started trying to get everyone they could to vote Nuffen out. Same thing when the NA Strat servers came up, with Ecko running to every vent and TS to get people to vote for his poll. 65/35% Eu/Na split, based on okiN's comment, seems a pretty bad split when you take into the activity level in strat of the Eu and NA clans.  Also seems like there will need to be something done to help small clans based on what has been said so far.

Look forward to seeing the new changes.
Quote from: chadz
No matter how long you guys cry - I will not give in to dumbing strategus down because some people just want battles. If all you want are battles, then play cRPG, not strat. There are other people who like advanced gameplay.

Trolololololol

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2011, 06:44:52 pm »
Speaking of which, make Nuffen admin again.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »
+2
The poll is broken. Right now it only gives the option of "I would rather play on x, because x gives me better pings". It does not give the option of "I prefer to play on y, because y gives me worse pings". Please add two more options to the poll.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2011, 06:48:37 pm »
I can't really think of a better way of deciding in what percentage the map should be split.

Also, mirroring the map (which won't happen for now due to technical reasons) does not solve this problem, because the percentage would still have to make sense. Because otherwise one region would be way emptier than the other, and that's unfair for those who happen to be in the region that's packed. That might even force people to go to the other side, just because it's less populated, which renders the whole idea of splitting the map useless.

tl;dr: find me a better way to decide in what percentage to split strategus. But something that can be calculated, not just some gut feeling.

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2011, 06:49:49 pm »
+1
Is the poll necessary? Wouldn't you get a better gauge by looking at all the active players in the latest Strategus and seeing what their defense server settings were?

Also, I'm excited to see what you're going to roll out with in this new Strategus.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2011, 06:49:58 pm »
+1
The point is that every continent should have the same space per player. When there are 70% euros and 30% NAs, it would fuck the balance to give every side 50%. It would mean that the NA place is easier because you have less enemies.

I think you need a neutral zone where the defender still picks the server. 

The main thing it would do is allow Strat to react dynamically to fluctuation in player base.   For instance, if in in 3 months time there is a random surge of NA players, they will have the opportunity to effectively expand the NA side of the map and reduce the EU side.  The same will also be true for EU pop surges.

I think it will cause less headaches in the long run too.

EDIT:

tl;dr: find me a better way to decide in what percentage to split strategus. But something that can be calculated, not just some gut feeling.

I think a neutral zone is the better way.  It means you don't have to be accurate in the split.  If the NA area ends up over populated compared to EU then theoretically they will be able to use that power to gain more of the neutral zone.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:53:25 pm by Tomas »

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2011, 06:57:52 pm »
well, a way to convert border fiefs to your timezone could be a possibility. it's also something I thought about before, so I'm not punishing the "stronger continent"