Author Topic: Few questions about archery and throwing.  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
Few questions about archery and throwing.
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:34:38 am »
First, I want to say "Hello" because last time I was here it was few patches ago.

Now questions:

1. What bow is better now - Yumi/Rus Bow/Longbow as an Infantry Archer?
2. What archer builds are correct now: more str or more agi builds? Does PD give you accuracy? Does more PD over wpf make you a text like "You don't have enough wpf..." like it was few patches ago? What does that text do?
3. How is archery now?

4. What throwing weapons are better now - Javelin and more powerful ones or maybe daggers/knives?
5. What throwing (pure) builds are more correct now and are they good enough as pure builds: more str or more agi builds? Does PT give you accuracy now? Does more PT over wpf make you a text like "You don't have enough wpf..." like it was few patches ago? What does that text do?
6. How is throwing now?

This is that for now.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Few questions about archery and throwing.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:41:29 am »
1.) Yumi is terribad, in my opinion. Horn bow is best for all-around archer. Long Bow is the best for opening up tin cans though horridly slow and not suitable for run-and-gun though you will hit like a truck. Rus bow out performs the long bow against targets wth 27 or less armour (AKA Horses) and has the shot placement in my opinion and rate of fire. I personally use the Rus Bow.

2.) Opinion wildly differ. I made my build on a 24/18 before I broke level 30 (now it is 27/18). I think for ruse bows 24/18 works the best, at least 21/18 if you want good athletics. For long bow, you could get away with just 6 PD though I would still recommend 7PD. Horn bow, anything is possible. Yumi is mainly a nich bow suitable for horse archers who really want that little bit of extra striking power. For a ground archer, I am not sure if it is worth it or not...

3.) It is completley useless/overpowered. Opinions differ. NA_cRPG_1 would at this moment likely say it is overpowered (Fallen Party was rolling people). I dunno... I say it is in a good place, but Long Bow needs to be nerfed from 26P to maybe 25P.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:51:17 am »
there is no 'best' throwing.  The cut dmg weapons are typically better against anyone in mail armor or under.  Anything over about 50 armor and the pierce start to be worth using.  Jav/Jarid are also faster missile speed and more accurate than the cut weapons.

pure thrower is a gimmick and pretty useless

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:05:25 pm »
Anyone?

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 09:04:52 pm »
+1
4. What throwing weapons are better now - Javelin and more powerful ones or maybe daggers/knives?
5. What throwing (pure) builds are more correct now and are they good enough as pure builds: more str or more agi builds? Does PT give you accuracy now? Does more PT over wpf make you a text like "You don't have enough wpf..." like it was few patches ago? What does that text do?
6. How is throwing now?

This is that for now.

4. Depends. mainly i suggest Jarids and Heavy Throwing Axes. Jarids have the fastest missile speed (means you apply lesser target prediction than throwing axes)but a small hitbox (means are harder to aim since the smaller model hitbox need more precision to score)

Also jarids with 40 pierce and 10 powerthrow hits like a truck. 2shots for medium mail infantry (or 1 headshot). plate targets needs 3 jarids (still 1 headshot to instakill) and some STR builds wearing plate needs 3 shots. (1-2 to the head). I can suggest jarids to dehorse people because the higher missile speed will give you a good range and a horse is hard to miss. usually a jarid can instakill any horse below the warhorse with a headshot. a warhorse will go down with 2 jarids given some speed bonus (charging towards you) and 3 without speed bonus (circling horse)

Now about throwing axes. missile speed and damage is lower than jarids (unless your target an archer) but the hitbox is so huge you will find it the best throwing weapon for short range. it's easy to hit the face by aiming at the neck. the hitbox advantage over jarids lets me pick the throwing axes when the server is not so full and i need aimed short range throws.

5. my best dedicated throwing build so far. Skip the fun character.

Hopleet

RoleAlternate
Age45 [30]

Strength    30    
Agility    12

Weapon proficiency
Available points: 3
One Handed    1    1 point per wpf
Two Handed    1    1 point per wpf
Polearm    1    1 point per wpf
Archery    1    1 point per wpf
Crossbow    1    1 point per wpf
Throwing    138    8 points per wpf
Skills
Available points: 0
Iron Flesh    0    3 strength per level
Power Strike    0    3 strength per level
Shield    0    3 agility per level
Athletics    3    3 agility per level
Riding    0    3 agility per level
Horse Archery    0    6 agility per level
Power Draw    0    3 strength per level
Power Throw    10    3 strength per level
Weapon Master    4

PowerThrow is reworked like powerdraw. every powerthrow point lowers your effective wpf. i found the best compromise with PT10, WM4, 138 wpf. i don't have the red text "profiency too low" but i use a total weight of 7kgs (so no armor penalty).

this is my standard loadout:

Skull cap
Studded leather coat
Leather gloves
Nomad boots
Jarids

if i hold the throw for enough, i can be quite precise. also powerthrow raise the missile speed (like powerdraw) so you'll need less target compensation/prediction

6. throwing now is really funny, effective but not game breaking.

about a good hybrid thrower:

IF 5
PT 6
PS 6
ATH 6
WM 6

118 polearms 2h or 1h
118 throwing

are imo the best hybrid throwers. but lacks a lot of firepower. you can't use med-heavy gear or you'll have the red text. for that you need to lower the wpf to:

100 polearms 2h or 1h
132 throwing

i startd throwing by raising PT and throwing to my old main 2h build. was really funny to kill the maulers and then do 2h work. but i just fell in love for the dedicated thrower. 12 jarids, light armor and 10PT. first time i logged my hopleet alt, i did a 20 kill streak in a battle server... i was rather impressed of what a thrower is capable of.

there is also a bug with throwing. if you're out of ammo, you just need to pickup a random 2 slots weapon on the ground (2h axe, 2h sword, spear, etc) and switching the weapon will magically give you half your ammo back. (6 jarids in my case... usually when you can't reach your used throws). but if you'll end your ammo again, you'll have to loot the missed ones.

i hope to be of help... and i'm too lazy to talk about archery now.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:11:33 pm by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 07:11:39 pm »
You really helped me out, thanks Corrado!

Gonna roll a pure thrower, let's see if it is fun.

But I bet it won't be like old times, when throwing was an instakilling gamebreaking way for noobs like me. :)