Author Topic: [COMPLAINT] What's next - Oh... It's THIS map...  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
[COMPLAINT] What's next - Oh... It's THIS map...
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:08:41 am »
Goddamn it, you silly people who design the maps:

1. MAPS AREN'T ARTWORKS, THEY ARE MAPS. THE DIFFERENCE LIES BETWEEN CONCERN FOR BALANCE AND PLAYABILITY, CONTRA AESTHETICS. STOP MAKING SLOPED MAPS YOU PIECES OF- gosh darned silly-pants!

2. This is a semi-rage post.

3. Please bug-test the map, run around on it etc. before adding it to rotation. More flat maps with less hills/slopes is way more enjoyable (of course, with considerable amount of cover), and I think everyone agrees on that point, disregarding that this is a rage thread. This game isn't called Mountain Camp :/. 
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
Re: [COMPLAINT] What's next - Oh... It's THIS map...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:24:08 am »
Looks like Bjord is volunteering to bugtest maps?  :lol:

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:38:39 pm »
Do I get a unique status for that?

If so, sure. I need more e-peen.

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:07:01 pm »
I'm gonna jump aboard the ragetrain aswell!

Get rid of the damn 'random village' maps and get some real ones, god damn it!
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:11:42 pm »
give link to map editor tools

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 06:12:32 pm »
Goddamn it, you silly people who design the maps:

1. MAPS AREN'T ARTWORKS, THEY ARE MAPS. THE DIFFERENCE LIES BETWEEN CONCERN FOR BALANCE AND PLAYABILITY, CONTRA AESTHETICS. STOP MAKING SLOPED MAPS YOU PIECES OF- gosh darned silly-pants!

2. This is a semi-rage post.

3. Please bug-test the map, run around on it etc. before adding it to rotation. More flat maps with less hills/slopes is way more enjoyable (of course, with considerable amount of cover), and I think everyone agrees on that point, disregarding that this is a rage thread. This game isn't called Mountain Camp :/.

I am glad you actually took the time to post your oppinion here, thanks! As a beginning mapper I cannot overstate how important it is to get feedback from players. That being said, if you have a problem with a specific map post it in the map dev thread and you might be surprised how quickly it will be tweaked, otherwise we don't know what you are talking about.

Also: are you volunteering to bug test our maps =) its hard to find anyone to do this, hence the problems.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 06:36:43 pm »
give link to map editor tools

Easy Guide:
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,1385.0.html

Complicated (but more thorough) Guide:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,112508.0.html

Bjord:

Thanks for submitting, even if it is semi-rage.  I agree with Nasturtium, feedback always helps.  Please post your specific concerns for a specific map in the Map Development Thread.  Unfortunately, the maps on the servers are made by many different people, some who read these forums, and some who I am sure do not.  If it's a map that one of us is responsible for, I'm sure we will work to address the issue as soon as possible.  Unfortunately, there is no good way to playtest maps other than putting them on the server to see how players play them.  There are a few things we can do on our own to look for glitches or other issues, but it's my experience that the player community will always discover ten times more about your map than you ever can on your own.  Game balance in particular also relies heavily on seeing how players decide to approach your map, which is frequently very different than your design intentions.  Since this is a fairly small community being developed by independent modders and mappers, we only have the actual servers themselves on which to test these things and find out how they are working.  It would be great if we could be more organized about hosting new maps for a trial time, getting feedback from players, taking them back down, and rehosting them after improvements.  But unfortunately, a lot of the people making the maps, running the servers, and play-testing the maps, are different people on different schedules.  If you have ideas about how we can improve this system, I definitely want to hear them.  Thanks again!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 07:07:31 pm »
Sounds good, I might even get around to fixing the scene editor. I'm quite creative if I may say so myself, and I already tried the scene editor once.

Personally the trial periods for maps is the most optimized idea for adding new maps, and we could have a group of dedicated people that regularly play to give C&C for the new maps.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 05:33:15 am »
Thanks for getting back to us.  Please feel free to provide C&C for anything you play on this board.  We really do want to hear what the players think.  Making maps that people enjoy is of course more desirable than the alternative.  If you feel like getting into editing yourself, check out my guides above and feel free to bug me on IRC for tips.

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 12:29:59 pm »
I have to agree with this thread, no matter how lovely a map is, any pleasure form the aesthetics is immediately lost for me if it's annoying to play on.  My personal pet peeve is when mappers leave lots of uneven surfaces everywhere that disrupt your movement or force you to jump over small obstacles.

Offline Lamix

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 11:15:58 pm »
I just started to make a map today, its my first attempt even using the editor only had about 2hours to do this but liking what i've done so far, hopefully i will be able to get more done tomorrow, pulled me back at work today doubt i'll be going in tomorrow.

I'm trying to make a town map thats big enough for a big battle and people still use horses and archers without too much restriction.

(click to show/hide)

Suggestions are welcome, and like i said its my first attempt and Thanks to Kong Ming for you're starter guide and starter blank maps :D

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:22:16 am »
Glad to see you're up and running!  Let me know if you have any specific questions or want help with anything, I'm on IRC most of the time.  Looks like you're off to a great start, can't wait to see where it goes next!  I know cav players out there will like to see a town map that doesn't hinder them too much.

Offline Sharpsy

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • The coolest picture you have ever seen ever.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok - Spears are pwnsome
  • Game nicks: Sharpsy, Fastsharpsy, Sharpshorse, Sharpsthrow
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 12:34:39 am »
i agree, aus server has 50 odd "blank" maps which are generally just random plains. its very annoying, because every 10 minutes we are seeing yet another map poll  :|.

also lamix, it looks really good, just make sure you add some more cover for the archers (or the melee to hide FROM the archers). keep up the good work!
Sup babe.

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 12:34:55 am »
Map looks good lamix!  :)

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 02:56:47 pm »
I won't input much more, but for the future let me know when the map design team releases something, maybe I could help with testing it also.