Author Topic: 1h shield build  (Read 9881 times)

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
Re: 1h shield build
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 07:15:38 pm »
hmmm kinda agree.
for an instance an top 2h player that topped scoreboard al day doesnt do nearly as good with 1h shield.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 07:19:59 pm »
2hand vs shielder in a duel 2hander wins most times.

2hand vs shielder on score board i tend to come higher. But thats with 7 PS x3 pick monster NOM NOM!

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 08:05:22 pm »
Cant say you wont have fun as a 1 H... it is fun :-)

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 03:15:14 pm »
That's funny people are saying that 1h shield got nerfed because I feel like 1h shield builds have never been better.

Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I've always enjoyed GREAT SUCCESS when I roll shielder for a gen.

To those saying 2h beats 1h/shield in duels, what advantage does the 2h have that gives them the edge?  I recognize the advantage of simple 2h vs 1h given the ability of the 2her to outrange and weapon stun, but the 1h shielder has so many more 'free blocks' against the 2h player.  Assuming positioning and other skills are equal with the two that should give the 1h shielder a distinct early advantage in the fight until the shield is broken... and let's be honest that will rarely happen in a duel unless the 2h has a shield breaker or is quite the excellent manual blocker.

Yes the 2h will have reach and should get the first hit in, but unless the 1h is slacking on positioning he shouldn't get abused by that much during the rest of the fight.  I always prioritize 2handers before 1h/shields in battle because they tend to be much easier kills.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Myltinous

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: Rhemus_Myltinous, Pippin_McGee
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 05:06:08 pm »
Thinking about a 21-18 build but worried that the less WM means that I won't do as good, expesially since i usually play servers with around 80-90ping at least
"One who thinks is one who conspires"
Ryan Myltoft
1992-present

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 05:19:10 pm »
Thinking about a 21-18 build but worried that the less WM means that I won't do as good, expesially since i usually play servers with around 80-90ping at least

21 - 15 is fine.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 05:22:57 pm »
I think 2h can beat shielders in a duel some times, but good thing its not a dueling game!

As shield I have helped the team (and multiplier) SO much more than a 2h or pole user.  I can block 3 guys at once, distract half the team in a remote part of the map, push though an enemy formation, be part of a shield wall at a choke point (or be a 1 man shield wall sometimes!)

In this way, I think it is more powerful than 2h.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:29:40 pm by Garison »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 07:12:57 pm »

WPF has barely any effect on your speed and even less so if you use a fast weapon. As long as you have enough to overcome your weight penalty and still have around 100 WPF, you're fine.

Offline Myltinous

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: Rhemus_Myltinous, Pippin_McGee
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 10:19:54 pm »
I think 2h can beat shielders in a duel some times, but good thing its not a dueling game!

As shield I have helped the team (and multiplier) SO much more than a 2h or pole user.  I can block 3 guys at once, distract half the team in a remote part of the map, push though an enemy formation, be part of a shield wall at a choke point (or be a 1 man shield wall sometimes!)

In this way, I think it is more powerful than 2h.
The char im playing now is a 2h and I don't like it that much because for one i don't have the time to grind and perfect manual blocking and for two I feel that as a 1h sheilder i can play the more in your face aggressive style that i like. It looks quite pathetic when i try to use that style as a 2hander  :(. Is 5 athletics going to be enough though, I've been told that it usually isn't enough.
"One who thinks is one who conspires"
Ryan Myltoft
1992-present

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 02:19:10 am »
I personally had great fun with a 24/12 build, but that was last summer...
It was great fun but your shield is quite vulnerable.

The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Varyag

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Merc_Varyag_
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 04:36:37 am »
I always prioritize 2handers before 1h/shields in battle because they tend to be much easier kills.

I think you have a lot of dissapointments ahead when you will get more experienced. I did shielding in cRPG for 1.5 years, got quite legendary with it on EU servers, and believe me when I say that shields got nerfed really REALLY hard, I know what I am talking about.

Just one example:
In the very early crpg I could outrun with my huscarl most 2 handers...Now it is only a dream for shielder. The shielders have been turned into turtles for real.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 05:43:28 am »
I think you have a lot of dissapointments ahead when you will get more experienced. I did shielding in cRPG for 1.5 years, got quite legendary with it on EU servers, and believe me when I say that shields got nerfed really REALLY hard, I know what I am talking about.

Just one example:
In the very early crpg I could outrun with my huscarl most 2 handers...Now it is only a dream for shielder. The shielders have been turned into turtles for real.

Yeah... we're just going to have to agree to disagree there, because I've been shielder quite a few gens and haven't had any problems being aggressive. Sure against top players it is more of a drawn out battle, but as long as you don't overpursue when they try to backpeddle you and watch for the castor swings I haven't had too many problems.

What great disadvantage do you think shielders have against 2handers exactly?  A good shielder vs a good 2h and I think the shielder has the edge.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:05:23 am by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Varyag

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Merc_Varyag_
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 06:30:50 am »
I think you are from the NA right? So you are not really familiar with Atze and Phyrex? Try duelling them for once, you will quickly learn why shields are quite useless nowadays.

Well, I agree on one thing: shielder is the best choice for noobs to kill other noobs. As for the experienced players, forget about shield. Its just not worth anymore.

Offline Samlooh

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 09:44:08 am »
Playing 21/15 with Elite Spamitar. It's really fun and I usually am atleast top5 on scoreboards. You hit hard while being pretty fast. However if you're not lvl 30 yet I suggest you go for the athletics first because imo, the points in athletics are really important.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 01:38:44 pm »
I think you are from the NA right? So you are not really familiar with Atze and Phyrex? Try duelling them for once, you will quickly learn why shields are quite useless nowadays.

Well, I agree on one thing: shielder is the best choice for noobs to kill other noobs.
I cannot agree with this. When I go 1h shield I don't expect to be good in dueling against some of the best EU 2-handers with their lightsabers. Going Rambo and looking for duels on the battlefield is something for 2h, as shielder you should stay with your teammates and fight in formation. Besides that you can still do good in 1 vs 2, 1 vs 3.

As for the experienced players, forget about shield. Its just not worth anymore.
Don't say that, or do you want even more 2h on the battlefield?  :rolleyes: