Author Topic: What do you think about autobalance by banner?  (Read 6282 times)

Offline Deadlysiins

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hosptailler
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Deadlysiins, Annoying_Crossbro, KK_AsianPursuation
Re: What do you think about autobalance by banner?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 05:35:38 pm »
Auto Balance = BEST THING EVER
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline 3ABP

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 10:26:02 pm »
I agree with this. (Edited for ADHD)

Also, private "factions" should require a password to join, set by the faction leader.
It is easer to just send "request for join" and faction leader accept if needed.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:27:21 pm by 3ABP »
              [STR] Strangers Faction

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 10:32:11 pm »
I appreciate banner balancing. For those who commiserate with a John_Q_Public who isn't bright enough to adjust their otherwise meaningless banner to a significant faction's banner, I suggest that their are other causes to which you might better devote yourself.  :P

I'm not in a clan, so this has actually given me a bit of a new horizon as I now am seeing consistently the same players on my team and am forging relationships that otherwise would not have existed. If there is any purpose to anything about any game, I figure that has to be a positive.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 01:21:31 am »
In theory it's a great idea, allowing clanmates to play together but the implementation is bad. Balance shouldn't be made by banners, but by faction (you should have a faction field in your cRPG char page, just like in Strategus). If you take a look at the EU servers, at least 50% of the randoms are wearing Mercs or DRZ banner.

The balance system itself needs tweaking, quite often I saw situations when a team has 2 clans (10+ clanmates) and the other one is a bunch of randoms. Guess who wins 5 times in a row :rolleyes:

It's a self balancing system and that's the genius of it. 

1.  The system lets clans play together as they have the same banner.
2.  It eliminates any sort of unfairness by allowing randoms to pick clan banners.  DRZ or ATS might be tough when a whole team is filled with their members, but unfortunately for them, a bunch of shitty random players have their banner as well LOL!!!  The garbageness of these randoms ultimately balances things out it seems to me. 
3.  If it was just based on faction then things would be pretty brutal on those poor random casual players.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:22:57 am by Boss_Awesome »

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 02:29:52 am »
Actually i like it very much.
If there are players on it i only do play on those servers with banner balance on.

And i do smile if some people change their banner to our yellow HRE banner and then start to play as they where members following
our clan people and start to play smart (defending flag/gatehouse).

They are our Support ;) or "Tross" ;) im fine with them having our banner.

Offline Trael

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Artle
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 02:53:38 am »
I (and our squad) rarely anymore use any servers without banner balance..
That stuff is gooood. Thank you

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 05:27:19 am »
Its a big step in the right direction, but still terribly problematic.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline bleyz

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 07:19:31 am »
I propose that "Banner Balance" be changed to "Clan_Tag Balance". This would eliminate non clan players from using a clan banner to leach with 5x multiplier. Another implementation would be to have the balance script separate clan's based on number of current players with tag's as well placing clans on opposing teams. I believe that these implementations would solve the issue of stacked teams and balance out game play quite a bit.

Offline Torrance

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 11:22:27 am »
It's a pretty bad idea which is loved by big clans because it allows them to keep up their 5x for as long as possible while rolling teams of random dudes which were not wise enough to switch their banners around to always end up on the winning team. I can only imagine how much money/experience the people milking the auto banner balancing system are making right now, it has to be fucking absurd considering I'm still making money even though I end on the losing team most of the time.

Anyway, decent feature which needs a rather important revision.

Offline 3ABP

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 12:12:48 pm »
It's a pretty bad idea which is loved by big clans because it allows them to keep up their 5x for as long as possible while rolling teams of random dudes which were not wise enough to switch their banners around to always end up on the winning team. I can only imagine how much money/experience the people milking the auto banner balancing system are making right now, it has to be fucking absurd considering I'm still making money even though I end on the losing team most of the time.

Anyway, decent feature which needs a rather important revision.
You not right.
Every winning round of those "big clans" reise their "weight".
What means what more and more players will be added to other team to compensate this.
I have been playing even 3x15 battles (3 top players against 15 new players). Now - do you understand why here is no problem?
              [STR] Strangers Faction

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 01:47:16 pm »
I like the feature, but not the way it's implemented. What I noticed is, that even if you have good players on the pub team, they will get switched to the clan team and replaced by few worse player from the clan team (not by members of the clan, just some random pubs that happened to be on their team when map started). So yeh, you have number advantage, but you still lose, because other team have now coordinated clan + good players, while you have bunch of random dudes. If there is a really good clan (say Mercs, DRZ, those are the ones I see the most) playing on the server, you can bet your asses they have fun stomping everything and keeping their x5 multiplier for 5 maps. But the rest of the server is usually not that happy, unless you get switched to their team and get carried.

Offline 3ABP

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2011, 02:03:19 pm »
I like the feature, but not the way it's implemented. What I noticed is, that even if you have good players on the pub team, they will get switched to the clan team and replaced by few worse player from the clan team (not by members of the clan, just some random pubs that happened to be on their team when map started). So yeh, you have number advantage, but you still lose, because other team have now coordinated clan + good players, while you have bunch of random dudes. If there is a really good clan (say Mercs, DRZ, those are the ones I see the most) playing on the server, you can bet your asses they have fun stomping everything and keeping their x5 multiplier for 5 maps. But the rest of the server is usually not that happy, unless you get switched to their team and get carried.
Hmmm... I am writing 3rd time = read carefully:
If those "DRZ" (for example) are very organized and can beat random team 1:2... oh... let I explain more understandable:
Let "DRZ" have 10 players. Let other team have 20 players to compensate those 10 DRZ players.
And plus some amount other players (faction or not - it doesn't matter).
And if "DRZ" +random players in team "A" beat team "B" with 20 players (compensating "DRZ) + random players, then next time (next map)
"cost" of "DRZ" 10 mans will be higher. Now against "DRZ" will play (for example) 25 players (just to compensate).
Next time (if still winning) 30... and so on until win\loose criteria will not be about 50% (in long run).

Is it not easy? Is it so hard?

P.s. all player in "long run" are equal by membership of winner and looser team.
Just remember - even loosing team have theirs "top scored guys". So - sometimes DRZ will be "top scored" in loosing team.
Main target of this innovation - is a fun of teamplay (not only to win, but it's fine too ^) )
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:07:25 pm by 3ABP »
              [STR] Strangers Faction

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 10:43:52 pm »
Hmmm... I am writing 3rd time = read carefully:
If those "DRZ" (for example) are very organized and can beat random team 1:2... oh... let I explain more understandable:
Let "DRZ" have 10 players. Let other team have 20 players to compensate those 10 DRZ players.
And plus some amount other players (faction or not - it doesn't matter).
And if "DRZ" +random players in team "A" beat team "B" with 20 players (compensating "DRZ) + random players, then next time (next map)
"cost" of "DRZ" 10 mans will be higher. Now against "DRZ" will play (for example) 25 players (just to compensate).
Next time (if still winning) 30... and so on until win\loose criteria will not be about 50% (in long run).

Is it not easy? Is it so hard?

P.s. all player in "long run" are equal by membership of winner and looser team.
Just remember - even loosing team have theirs "top scored guys". So - sometimes DRZ will be "top scored" in loosing team.
Main target of this innovation - is a fun of teamplay (not only to win, but it's fine too ^) )

You forget - after every 5 rounds, the autobalance resets. So even if by the 5th round it has gone to a 4:1 ratio in favor of the pub team, when the map switches after the 1st round it will autobalance back out to a clan stack and as close to a 1:1 ratio as possible.

Also, if I'm not mistaken autobalance is based on character career K:D ratio and not on individual round score.

Offline 3ABP

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 11:09:44 pm »
You forget - after every 5 rounds, the autobalance resets. So even if by the 5th round it has gone to a 4:1 ratio in favor of the pub team, when the map switches after the 1st round it will autobalance back out to a clan stack and as close to a 1:1 ratio as possible.

Also, if I'm not mistaken autobalance is based on character career K:D ratio and not on individual round score.
But where a problem? All is ok. What wrong?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:23:15 pm by 3ABP »
              [STR] Strangers Faction

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 11:28:52 pm »
What's wrong is that banner balance takes precedence over this career KD ratio factor. So if a clan is full of people who regularly go 5:1 or more, they are all on the same team.

Not that I personally have a problem with it - I think its awesome to have some way to allow people to play together who want to (even if it is a clunky system.) But I can see how people who are playing on their own can have a major issue!