Author Topic: Stronghold Betatest over: Download & Manual inside  (Read 16815 times)

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
Re: Stronghold Betatest now: Download & Manual inside
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2011, 11:42:36 pm »
I would suggest being able to build a building that would allow you to bind a place for respawns, like the Siege Tent. This would make it easier for attacking melee since they wouldnt have to walk all the way across the world, as well as defend mines and such easily.

Maybe the dummy should spawn inside a keep already? Have two keeps and then allow players to build up around it like in the actual game, Stronghold?

It was pretty easy for cavalry to knock down the walls and couch lance the dummy a few times for a quick win.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2011, 11:51:44 pm »
I think the dev team should focus on making this mode work on smaller scales then improve it :

- The map was too big. Infantry travels feel too slow and you can't have a visual overview of the situation. This would be good for big clan-organised matches, but definetly not for medium or small clans. At least provide maps of varied size to play with.
- Different costs for different buildings.
- It is possible to activate houses, but it seems it has no effect.
- Placement works well. Although if possible, objects should not "stack" on each other. This is problematic when someone is standing on a wall and tries to place the next piece of wall, because the center of the player's view will collision with the wall he stands on and make the new object ghost jump in the air.
- Some way of preventing the enemy from constructing wooden ladders to bypass your walls. Maybe a territory system a la Rise of Nations : you can only build in your territory, buildings make it larger. Each building as an influence radius that defines a circle where you can build. The dummy and mines also provide a territory zone (mines must be owned to give this). A special building should increase the radius of all your buildings, and itself have a big radius. Teams cannot share portions of the map. To determine who is owner of contested zones, an obscure algorithm involving distance to all the buildings affecting this zone and the strength of their radius should be used. A "zone" should be a very small portion of land, maybe 1mx1m.
- Buildings only destructible with catapults (very few shots). Would make catapults and buildings more useful, as well as avoid the "I can break a stone wall with my bardiche !" trolololing.

Offline Deathwhisper

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2011, 11:55:17 pm »
I would suggest being able to build a building that would allow you to bind a place for respawns, like the Siege Tent. This would make it easier for attacking melee since they wouldnt have to walk all the way across the world, as well as defend mines and such easily.

Maybe the dummy should spawn inside a keep already? Have two keeps and then allow players to build up around it like in the actual game, Stronghold?

It was pretty easy for cavalry to knock down the walls and couch lance the dummy a few times for a quick win.

I agree. The game really lacks a keep, like the ones we find in siege. Put the dummy on top of the keep. To push things even further, we should replace the dummy by a lord / king who would be static like in DTV. It would also look less stupid "Hey guys, the enemy is attacking! Let's defend the useless dummy! I don't know why though, someone placed it here in the middle of nowhere and asked us to protect it".

There should also be a "barracks" building, maybe some sort of small keep, that would cost a lot of money and take a few mins to build. It would be some sort of outpost, where you could respawn, sleep to regain health (like in full invasion) and refill your ammo.

It would be nice if we could repair buildings with a hammer, at the cost of resources, for something 0.5% hp per second, and also chop down trees with an axe weapon to gain some resources (and prevent trees from being in the middle of a gatehouse, it really looks stupid).

Anyway, the mod is great. It only needs a lot of players to be really interesting and strategic. Let's hope the stronghold server will eventually have more than 120 slots.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2011, 01:05:21 am »
There used to be eight mines per map, but it was a bit of a nightmare. I mean, did you not see how disorganized and messy the teamwork was? People couldn't focus to properly defend even two or three targets, imagine how bad it will be with more.

That might be handy, but it would probably be ridiculously complicated to do, if not impossible. Is it really that hard to just wait for one building to finish before adding an adjacent one?
Yeah, I just made that suggestion before I tried it myself, because a guy complained how difficult it was to make buildings. Now that I tried it myself i realize that it's not really needed. It wasn't that hard to make stuff and most props don't take long to rise up. And for those who DO take a lot of time. Well, you should have enough time to wait for it to get up. If not then you really shouldn't be building right now xD

I really liked the gamemode, but as people said it takes too long for infantry. What I would like is a bit smaller map but with impassable rivers with some natural passings or valleys or something, so that bridges would be a good thing to have. Would also make you able to make watchtowers and the like in strategic locations. This would also make it easier for infntry since they could have a "gather" point without fear of being killed by cav.

Another suggestion is to change most of the props. The native ones are really nice for a scene maker to use but in this gamemode it can be a bit impractical. Maybe change all the walls with a wall that already have a connected staircase (or at least ONE wall with a connected staircase), more than two types of gates and FLECTHERS/SMITHS/STABLES WITH SIGNS SO WE CAN SEE WHICH ONE THEY ARE! I built a fletcher first when i thought it would be a weaponsmith. Not that gamebreaking but slightly annoying. Also the way i found it, all buildings are 5k. What about making palisades/wooden stuff cheaper (like 1k or 2k) and small stone things like stairs a bit cheaper too? Also some way to know how much resources they would take would be nice, but not necessary.

EDIT: About the "spawn camps" I don't think that would be possible. What happens when you have multiple of them? There is no "choose spawn" in Warband so it would either be random or the last one placed. I can also see some bugs coming with thm being destroyed, destroyed while another is built or two destroyed at the same time.

I also have a question. How is resource gathered calculated? What's the flat rate and how much does an normal mine give? An upgraded mine? a 3x mine? a 4x mine? Do you get less the more players are in your team or do all get the same? Also we tried to pool our resources by going all into battalion 1, but it didn't work. Nobody could also move the battalion flag so maybe non of us was the "leader"? How do one become the leader?

Thanks for reading this and thanks for any answer!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:09:12 am by Zapper »
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2011, 01:13:26 am »
Yeah, I just made that suggestion before I tried it myself, because a guy complained how difficult it was to make buildings. Now that I tried it myself i realize that it's not really needed. It wasn't that hard to make stuff and most props don't take long to rise up. And for those who DO take a lot of time. Well, you should have enough time to wait for it to get up. If not then you really shouldn't be building right now xD

They take longer the farther you are from the dummy, so if you're fortifying the second mine out, it can really be quite slow. However, IMO you shouldn't be setting up an outpost there in the first place unless you have a squad looking out for you.

I really liked the gamemode, but as people said it takes too long for infantry. What I would like is a bit smaller map but with impassable rivers with some natural passings or valleys or something, so that bridges would be a good thing to have. Would also make you able to make watchtowers and the like in strategic locations. This would also make it easier for infntry since they could have a "gather" point without fear of being killed by cav.

I think chadz's idea is to have the game mode work with random maps so that there's more variety, but TBH I think it would benefit a lot from maps specifically designed for it.

Another suggestion is to change most of the props. The native ones are really nice for a scene maker to use but in this gamemode it can be a bit impractical. Maybe change all the walls with a wall that already have a connected staircase (or at least ONE wall with a connected staircase), more than two types of gates and FLECTHERS/SMITHS/STABLES WITH SIGNS SO WE CAN SEE WHICH ONE THEY ARE! I built a fletcher first when i thought it would be a weaponsmith. Not that gamebreaking but slightly annoying. Also the way i found it, all buildings are 5k. What about making palisades/wooden stuff cheaper (like 1k or 2k) and small stone things like stairs a bit cheaper too? Also some way to know how much resources they would take would be nice, but not necessary.

IMO the props work fine, I just wish you could tilt them more -- been suggested many times. I don't see any reason why you'd need a wall prop with stairs already attached, since adding a staircase is basically the simplest thing ever. The rest of the suggestions are fine, though all pretty old by now. :P
Don't.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2011, 01:26:30 am »
They take longer the farther you are from the dummy, so if you're fortifying the second mine out, it can really be quite slow. However, IMO you shouldn't be setting up an outpost there in the first place unless you have a squad looking out for you.

I think chadz's idea is to have the game mode work with random maps so that there's more variety, but TBH I think it would benefit a lot from maps specifically designed for it.

IMO the props work fine, I just wish you could tilt them more -- been suggested many times. I don't see any reason why you'd need a wall prop with stairs already attached, since adding a staircase is basically the simplest thing ever. The rest of the suggestions are fine, though all pretty old by now. :P
Thanks for the answer. You don't know anything about the "pooling the resources" thing? Would be very helpful.

And not all of them are old suggestions! The "let me see WHAT building it is with a nice shiny sign on them (the building itself)" is all mine xD I also can't remember seeing anyone say that wooden stuff should be cheaper and stuff. But then again maybe I didn't catch it in all those milelong posts. Like the one I made xD

And while making staircase is easy (at least I think so and you agree) that was mainly the example I could think of. I basically meant some sort of corner props or tower-with-stairs-inside or walls-with-circle-stairs or something like that. Didn't manage to try all of the props myself but some of them were very annoying to place properly. (ESPECIALLY when you spend a good amount of time rotating, lowering/highering and twisting the prop JUST to get headshoted by some fucktard HA that just came by xD)
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2011, 01:39:32 am »
I also have a question. How is resource gathered calculated? What's the flat rate and how much does an normal mine give? An upgraded mine? a 3x mine? a 4x mine? Do you get less the more players are in your team or do all get the same?

No idea, it's basically magic AFAIK.

Also we tried to pool our resources by going all into battalion 1, but it didn't work. Nobody could also move the battalion flag so maybe non of us was the "leader"? How do one become the leader?

Yes, flag controller is the one with build access, and he can use resources of everybody in the battalion. As for how you gain control, aside from "be the first one to use it" I'm really not very sure. That seems to more or less work, though.

And yeah, building can be a bit of a handful in places, but I've always found some way to work it out with the current props. The two "battlement staircase" props are very useful for tricky slopes. There are a couple of handy corner pieces as well, plus the round tower.
Don't.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2011, 01:50:47 am »
1No idea, it's basically magic AFAIK.

2Yes, flag controller is the one with build access, and he can use resources of everybody in the battalion. As for how you gain control, aside from "be the first one to use it" I'm really not very sure. That seems to more or less work, though.

3And yeah, building can be a bit of a handful in places, but I've always found some way to work it out with the current props. The two "battlement staircase" props are very useful for tricky slopes. There are a couple of handy corner pieces as well, plus the round tower.
1 xD

2 I think there might be a bug there. Since it's all in one "round" that the guy who was it first could have left and nobody else getting it. I tried it on battalion 1 (where I managed to get most of my team in) but couldn't move the flag. I also tried two other but couldn't get the flag there either. Maybe make a poll option or something like they have in PW mod for every battalion leader? Anyways the "battalion commander" didn't refresh so maybe someone should check it out?

3 True, but the problem was all the props already placed by randomers who had no clue what they were doing (I've had some experience with the scene editor) and had very, well, STUPID distances between props and height differences. Would be nice if this would be either easier OR restricted to certain leaders (battalion commanders?) so there's not that many fail-builds.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2011, 01:53:53 am »
The batallion commander is the guy who carries the flag (take it, drop it close to you on the ground, so you carry it around)

map size: what i agree is that it's currently boring as inf to walk around. my ideas are a cart that you can hop on as infantry, being pulled by a horse and building a church tower (=chapel) as a remote respawn point. if neither of those works, i guess reducing the map size is the only way to fix it. last resort, though

as for the formula:
base money = 1000
every player in the game brings his level in, so, average, level 28*30players, for example
then, mines bring gold: base 800, 1st up: +750, 2nd: +585, 3rd: +420, 4th: +255
also, every construction that's not a building (walls, towers, etc) costs upkeep (1% of total income)
the money is shared between all players in the game. formula might change (heavily) in the future.

as for the other suggestions - many are user interface suggestions which make sense and just have not been added due to lack of time. etc etc

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2011, 01:56:16 am »

3 True, but the problem was all the props already placed by randomers who had no clue what they were doing (I've had some experience with the scene editor) and had very, well, STUPID distances between props and height differences. Would be nice if this would be either easier OR restricted to certain leaders (battalion commanders?) so there's not that many fail-builds.

As I said in IRC, this mods seems only good for clans. In passworded or strictly administrated servers.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2011, 02:06:26 am »

TBH I was tearing those down with no remorse. The waste of resources is a shame, but at least it's not from my battalion, whereas if I leave them standing, they will eat away at my income by adding to upkeep. If it's in my way, or obviously serves no purpose whatsoever (eg isolated wall section in the middle of nowhere), I'll demolish it.
Don't.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2011, 02:11:19 am »
The batallion commander is the guy who carries the flag (take it, drop it close to you on the ground, so you carry it around)

map size: what i agree is that it's currently boring as inf to walk around. my ideas are a cart that you can hop on as infantry, being pulled by a horse and building a church tower (=chapel) as a remote respawn point. if neither of those works, i guess reducing the map size is the only way to fix it. last resort, though

as for the formula:
base money = 1000
every player in the game brings his level in, so, average, level 28*30players, for example
then, mines bring gold: base 800, 1st up: +750, 2nd: +585, 3rd: +420, 4th: +255
also, every construction that's not a building (walls, towers, etc) costs upkeep (1% of total income)
the money is shared between all players in the game. formula might change (heavily) in the future.

as for the other suggestions - many are user interface suggestions which make sense and just have not been added due to lack of time. etc etc
Thanks for the info chadz! And yeah I kinda thought so about the interface suggestions. I'm just so excited about this gamemode and I wanted to be useful xD (stronghold is my favourite games ever and I love every single one of them! Now that you made us able to be a part of that in a FPS game. :D:D:D)

About the bolded part. Sound really fun actually. It also reminds me of a suggestion I've had for some time but thought was a bit silly and possibly exploitable. Would it be possible to let horsemen carry a teammate on his back? The teammate should obviously be unable to attack and possible the same with the horseman. It's mainly meant for transportation and moving allies between fights. Otherwise carts are awesome too, but maybe a wagon (open wagon ofc) would work better? I everything fail we could always have CHARIOTS :D

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2011, 03:10:23 am »
The mine upgrade bonuses should be other way around.

If it was  1st up: +255, 2nd: +420, 3rd: +585,  4th: +750 it would encourage building them up to max and defending them more important. Better for teamwork! :)

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2011, 04:07:21 am »
can NA has beta server?

take the official siege down while ur testing and put up a north american stronghold server

(its not like anybody plays on NA official siege)

and besides everyone knows north americans are far better at finding and abusing bugs so we would be far better than euros at beta testing  :P
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline TR_Ragnarok

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Fan-Site For SNSD
  • Faction: Astralis/SNSD/AznBoiClub
  • Game nicks: AsianBoyJesse_Astralis / SNSD_Sunny <3
  • IRC nick: AsianBoyJesse
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2011, 04:38:20 am »
can NA has beta server?

take the official siege down while ur testing and put up a north american stronghold server

(its not like anybody plays on NA official siege)

and besides everyone knows north americans are far better at finding and abusing bugs so we would be far better than euros at beta testing  :P

Cant tell if this is a complement or a insult...
Don't Stop lets take it back to one forty.