Author Topic: Stronghold Betatest over: Download & Manual inside  (Read 16825 times)

Offline H4rdn3ssKill3r

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Crummy Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: naaaaaaaaaah
Re: Stronghold Betatest now: Download & Manual inside
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2011, 07:32:44 pm »
excellent
f8uasdlöadk blablablababa lbalba
^ Analogy of discussions on forums.

Offline Mushy

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • For the Tea!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MUSCHI
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2011, 07:33:42 pm »
Ah that sucks .. was looking forward to it :/

How was it?

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2011, 07:34:21 pm »
Was nice, intense and fun, though you might wanna create a graphical user interface for placeing the objects, and as always balance it, just the way you know  :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2011, 07:35:21 pm »
excellent

This. +10!

Bit of something for everyone, if you like to defend your castle or your outpost thats around a mine or whether you like to take the offensive.

Like stronghold but first person  :wink:

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2011, 07:35:41 pm »
it's back up, and xp&gold is enabled

Offline Mushy

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • For the Tea!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MUSCHI
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2011, 07:36:20 pm »
it's back up, and xp&gold is enabled

<3

Offline Centurion

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »
I like the concept but mabe make the teams start with a small castle also if walls auto attached 2 each other it would be nice
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
^^

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2011, 08:56:42 pm »
Guess I'll just leave feedback here.

I am really impressed by the build system, it works like a charm. The instructions are there, it's easy to place a building exactly as you wish. Only thing I disliked about the building system was that you had to hold f4 or f5 and press ctrl to turn, so after turning you had to fix the height again. Not really a big deal, so very nicely done.

The maps I have seen today are too big, you cant see where to go from spawn. You get lost, team gets spread out. I think smaller maps would be better, with both castles in sight of eachother with resource mines to the sides and middle. So that when you look from the castle walls, you know who has what and whats happening where. That you have an idea where the rest of your team is. Smaller maps would make the whole experience more intense.
Also with these current size maps, cav have an edge cause they can just do so much more in a smaller amount of time.

I think walls are underpowered. I think one team would win every time, if they just forget about the mines and the building and keep attacking the enemy dummy. Walls cant really stop em that much, especially cause you can just build a wooden stairway in no time at great heights. I've spend most of my stronghold time upgrading and fortifieng mines, but I didnt really have the idea that it helped my team much, cause the enemy team wasnt really bothering with the mines. We had 2 mines fully upgraded and fortified, but still the score was 6-3.
Also no idea what was going on at the main base while I was at the mines, due to the huge map size.

Teamwork is key in this mode, especially with these size maps, where lone attackers just die. Lets face it, its hard to organize randoms. Maybe implement some cool system for this, otherwise I think this will only truly shine in clan vs clan matches.

Also, this game mode needs boiling oil, flaming arrows and trebuchets with launchable cow corpses  :P

I'm very impressed with the work done so far, you guys are gods at coding. Keep it up!

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2011, 09:00:02 pm »
I like the concept but mabe make the teams start with a small castle also if walls auto attached 2 each other it would be nice
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

That's why you're supposed to pay attention to what you're building instead of just slapping stuff up in random order.
Don't.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2011, 09:01:01 pm »
That's why you're supposed to pay attention to what you're building instead of just slapping stuff up in random order.
Yeah its really not that hard, you just have to wait for the surrounding stuff to finish, which can take agonizingly long sometimes for stone buildings.

Offline Odion

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Odion_IV, Odion_Power
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2011, 09:01:21 pm »
this is great, you should replace the 120 siege server with stronghold

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2011, 09:06:47 pm »
This is a really great gamemode!

Feedback/bugs I found;

-Wooden walls/gates should be weaker than stone, but cost less to build and cost less to upkeep.
-Engineer isn't working
-You shouldn't have to pay upkeep for captured enemy buildings, or at least less.
-Stables could be able to spawn a slow 0 difficulty horse/donkey purely for travelling. So that the game mode doesn't become mounted combat only, you wouldn't be able to attack while riding it, and it would de-spawn as soon as you dismounted. useful only for going somewhere.
-It would be great if there was a way to open a friendly gatehouse from the outside somehow.
-Perhaps there could be a bit more variation in the random maps allowed for play? Small rivers could be interesting.
-Occasionally when a dummy is destroyed it will report that one of your worn items captured the castle. 'Peasant Dress' Has captured the castle!
-Perhaps the number of mines on the map should be random? Always at least three, but could be possible to have two more?
-A way to tell how much each building item costs would be nice (when/if they cost different amounts).
-A way to repair damaged buildings would be awesome. For resources of course.
-Maybe you could chop down random trees on the map for an immediate small resources bonus. If so, maybe there could be a 'foresters hut' which spawns sapling trees you can plant and after a while they become fully grown and harvestable?

EDIT:
-There could be a 'market/trader' building which would spawn stone blocks/iron bars/whatever which you could pick up. If you take these to another market building they could be used on the building to gain a small amount of resources. This gives low level players/those who can't build very well something to do as well as getting players moving around the map a bit more instead of camping one place. To prevent abuse there should be a minimum distance that a market building has to be from another market building in order to be placed.

Loving it so far, this is so much better than boring old battle.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:11:01 am by Peasant_Woman »
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2011, 09:08:32 pm »
Yeah its really not that hard, you just have to wait for the surrounding stuff to finish, which can take agonizingly long sometimes for stone buildings.
Would it be possible to make a "ghost" image of the how the building would be when they are finished building? That would help a lot I think.

it's the 1-5 commands you can use in SP, should be changeable.
Nice! I already have them customized so yay!
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Varyag

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Merc_Varyag_
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2011, 09:19:23 pm »
Yes, IMHO siege should be replaced witht his gamemode. it is indeed very nice. Though success mostly depend on players coordination, thus making it mostly a clan gamemode. But still very nice.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2011, 11:15:05 pm »
-Perhaps the number of mines on the map should be random? Always at least three, but could be possible to have two more?

There used to be eight mines per map, but it was a bit of a nightmare. I mean, did you not see how disorganized and messy the teamwork was? People couldn't focus to properly defend even two or three targets, imagine how bad it will be with more.

Would it be possible to make a "ghost" image of the how the building would be when they are finished building? That would help a lot I think.

That might be handy, but it would probably be ridiculously complicated to do, if not impossible. Is it really that hard to just wait for one building to finish before adding an adjacent one?
Don't.