Author Topic: CRPG has lost that luvin' feelin'  (Read 19051 times)

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
Re: CRPG has lost that luvin' feelin'
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2011, 08:14:17 pm »
There's a difference between playing to win and playing to win AT ALL COSTS to the detriment of everything else.

tbh if i were to roleplay seriously, winning at all cost is what war is all about. War is nasty and vicious, you win or you die, your lands razed, your family raped and enslaved, your name wiped from all records. War is not fun for the losers.

but yeah, sometimes i take crpg way too seriously

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2011, 08:23:43 pm »
I tried playing seriously recently, because I was starting to get bored of cRPG.  Turns out doing that completely killed my desire to ever touch the bloody game again.  The only reason I got bored in the first place is because I've done skipped the fun of every single goofy build imaginable, there's nothing left to do in the battle servers except grind, but I get no desire whatsoever doing that.

Now the only reason to play is strat, but I can't even finish my build because it involves playing some stupid game called cRPG in the first place.  Oh, duels are still fun at least.
-idlewind

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2011, 09:19:23 pm »
The more I think about this, the more I think you are absolutely right. Since winning has such a HUGE factor to advancing, people are going to do anything in their power to win. Nowadays everybody is trying to game the system as much as possible just to win. I think that's my big problem with it. It's a lot harder to play for fun when everyone else is playing to win and doing their best to exploit the items, game, system as much as possible to accomplish it. It all makes sense now...
What about removing the scoreboard? :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2011, 09:31:07 pm »
That is true, no matter what Lolgorath says.

Well of course some derpatroll dude loves what the community has become.  It's a haven for ragers and idjits.  :rolleyes:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2011, 10:48:38 pm »
Granted, I don't like fighting multiple guys with longspears either, but I don't think it should lose it's ability to block. There's a reason why pikemen became a dominant force on the battlefield irl and people in game are starting to realize it too. It WOULD be a shitload better though if they'd remove it's ridiculous overhead.

And fix the hitbox, stabbing is still sketchy as fuck because of the reach of both the long spear and pike.

Because they are the ultimate support weapon. They sacrifice 1v1 dueling for better support.

Also not true, while it may gimp you if you don't know how to use it properly, if you know how to use it properly, it's stupidly overpowered.

Whenever I fight competent (see: spinning circus bullshit) longspears/pikes user, I get killed by the stupid backhit doing full damage and polestunning me and the fact that for some reason Polearm stabbing/overhead-only weapons have absolutely no recovery time between attacks, thus making them stupidly faster than their stats indicates.

I see people never dropping the longspear or the pike, support? use longspear/pike, 1v1? use longspear/pike and they still succeed at it with ease.

Oh, I also forgot the chainsaw wooden shaft; Guy stab besides me, think he missed and drop my block to retaliate, GUESS NOT, I get one hit killed by the wooden shaft.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:53:38 pm by Patricia »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2011, 12:31:17 am »
+5
I'm pretty bad at fighting longspear users. Probably more because I don't like to concentrate and tend to spam people with 1 or 2 attack directions for some reason. Pike users are piss easy though. The stun lasts so long they don't have time to block.

Now let's go back on topic.

I didn't hoped to see two people agreeing with me there (maybe more?) :

The more I think about this, the more I think you are absolutely right. Since winning has such a HUGE factor to advancing, people are going to do anything in their power to win. Nowadays everybody is trying to game the system as much as possible just to win. I think that's my big problem with it. It's a lot harder to play for fun when everyone else is playing to win and doing their best to exploit the items, game, system as much as possible to accomplish it. It all makes sense now...

+1
 SO TRUE. Related is because the game is now such a tedious GRIND and people are struggling for all the xp they can get.  I play even when I don't really WANT to because I'm trying to grind to retire in hopes one day my xp bonus will be enough for it NOT to be a grind. That is not good when people are playing just to get ahead instead of playing when they WANT to for FUN. It has just become a mindless grind a thon for many.

Also I really think that while making things 'team' focused  is good and can work with the right players/community, I think more often than not when it doesn't work and you lose anyway you are left feeling helpless and powerless to affect your own PERSONAL fun and achievement. It gets old hoping and trying to affect an entire teams success when the much easier simpler and more FUN solution is to be able to affect your OWN success independently. Currently the only thing I can think of that directly rewards the individual is 'valor'. I know some people say if you make things 'competitive' people will tk and all that. Well I'd rather find ways to deal with that and play a game that's more FUN instead of being at the mercy of autobalance and who's on your team largely dictating your fun. When the ability to be rewarded is taken out of your hands and given to others you feel powerless and fun is less likely.

I really thought I would be called a noob or crybaby or something along thses lines.

Fact is, when I began playing cRPG, I enjoyed being a peasant. My goal was to survive, maybe hitting or even killing someone. It was really refreshing to play a multiplayer game with those bizarre goals. My team would be winning or loosing, that had absolutely no importance. Then the game slowly changed as I leveled up and bought better equipment. It was slow so I could enjoy many flavors of the mod without skipping them. I remember when I bought the shortened voulge I was delighted to see I was able to kill at least a few people with it. Then my goal began to switch from surviving to killing and winning. But overall winning wasn't an important part of the game. I remember that winners did had better xp and gold but it wasn't x5 like today. So people didn't really cared about winning. The builds were absolutely not optimized even as half as they are now. Nor was the equipment. In fact many players were actually role-playing something, with a particular set of armor and weapons. Yes, people actually used totally underpowered equipment just because it fit their style, something considered noobish, if not worse, now. There was balance ranting, but on a much wider scale than now. Current balance discussions are like "elite spammitar is OP". Back then is was like "archers are OP", because no one cared about this or that weapon. No one bothered to see which one was better, because it had no real purpose. You played for fun, not to win.

Current cRPG feels like a giant competition between e-peen, trolling and douchebaggery. E-peen being winning by skill, and douchebaggery being winning by ruining the fun for the other side. Trolls are the real winners. They don't care about winning or loosing, equipment, build, gold, xp and all that crap. They play for fun.

Offline Serth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Serth
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2011, 12:58:25 am »
I must say i missed the 3 week grind to get plate and then you could play and enjoy it for however long you wanted... I miss the good old days of exp barn :)

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2011, 01:06:12 am »
blah blah blah isnt there a thread like this in every mmo type of game

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2011, 01:08:42 am »
I must say i missed the 3 week grind to get plate and then you could play and enjoy it for however long you wanted... I miss the good old days of exp barn :)

I say, the grind was what makes plate anything stats or equipment enjoyable. If it wasn't hard to get, you wouldn't be enjoying it much.

blah blah blah isnt there a thread like this in every mmo type of game

No, there's not. First because cRPG is not an MMO. At least not anymore. And second because MMO's never shift styles like cRPG did.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 639
  • Infamy: 232
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2011, 01:24:29 am »

Played as a peasant till I got Heraldic Plate, Spamitar and Steel Shield. After that I bought Destrier. Next gen wanted to change so I bought Sword of Tears. After that wanted to try cav with my lvl 31 hybrid (1h, poles, 2h) and was satisfied how I did against lvl 43 dedicated monsters, being noob and all.

I still remember when I killed Finn in his full loomed black plate with stab in the head at chargers full speed :D

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2011, 01:28:10 am »
+1
Atm the combined ranged spam and cav spam on eu1 makes that server completely unplayable. it baffles my mind how many of them there are, no wonder players like VMega went 1h... Not so bad on smaller servers but it's still noticeable.

Today on eu1 I went to get a cup of coffee at round start, I was gone for maybe 20 seconds and when I came back  and spawned 15  cavs came raining down at me on spawn... I just holstered my weapon and went "shit" no clue if these are dedicated or stf cav players but seriously :shock:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:30:28 am by Siiem »

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2011, 01:30:56 am »
the most fun i get in crpg is when you come up against the heros you remember from when you was a peasent :D its just nice to fight those guys :P (its also nice because you can tell if you got any better)
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2011, 01:34:58 am »
Played as a peasant till I got Heraldic Plate, Spamitar and Steel Shield. After that I bought Destrier. Next gen wanted to change so I bought pike of tears. After that wanted to try cav with my lvl 31 hybrid (1h, poles, 2h) and was satisfied how I did against lvl 43 dedicated monsters, being noob and all.

I still remember when I killed Finn in his full loomed black plate with stab in the head at chargers full speed :D

Haaaaa, I remember The_Finn :D

As I was a 24/7 1h cav back then (with a lance as support wep for cav duels), I had absolutely no problems dealing with that guy. He only focused on infantry and ranged. But yeah, killing high level monsters really felt good (georges, Kesh and the like)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2011, 01:49:19 am »
Today on eu1 I went to get a cup of coffee at round start, I was gone for maybe 20 seconds and when I came back  and spawned 15  cavs came raining down at me on spawn... I just holstered my weapon and went "shit" no clue if these are dedicated or stf cav players but seriously :shock:

You would've killed every enemy on the server if you hadn't gone for that cup of coffee. Next time, don't grab yourself that cup of coffee.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2011, 01:51:59 am »
the most fun i get in crpg is when you come up against the heros you remember from when you was a peasent :D its just nice to fight those guys :P (its also nice because you can tell if you got any better)

:( The only one I remember at all was ginger, fighting off waves of peasants with his tincan