Author Topic: CRPG has lost that luvin' feelin'  (Read 19069 times)

Offline Rain

• Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • An honest man is always a child
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnant
  • Game nicks: Mantra, Tigersblood, Rain
  • IRC nick: Rain
Re: CRPG has lost that luvin' feelin'
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2011, 11:28:48 pm »
Any way you look at it M&B is the only game of its class... I've been feeling kind of burned out lately too.. but, i'll always come back. I always come back because after I get bored of another game I somehow find myself double clicking on warband... Humans are a creature of habit, and the community has taken a little dip in quality but its what keeps me coming back every time

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1731
  • Infamy: 216
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2011, 01:52:02 am »
+3
I love it :D

You, who don't love c-rpg -> door is that way :wink:

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2011, 02:03:18 am »
+1
I wouldnt play crpg if this community with this people wouldnt exist.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2069
  • Infamy: 2195
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2011, 02:05:07 am »
That is true, no matter what Lolgorath says.

Offline Apsod

• Duke
  • Renown: 698
  • Infamy: 98
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Donate a few denari to the farmers of Calradia!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Apsod
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2011, 11:45:50 am »
Hey! You the apsod that also plays mercenaries?
Yeah :)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2011, 12:11:56 pm »
+8
cRPG became over-serious with :

- upkeep, level cap and retirements nerf. Because before, dying to someone didn't mean anything because the stats differences were enough to make up for any player skill differences. Some fights felt like boss battles (captain georges for example), and you were a boss battle for someone else.
- the multiplier system. Now, everyone is ultra-concerned about winning rounds at all costs, not about having fun. That's why you see derp behavior that the pre-january versions were clean of.

Both are tightly related. When there were enormous stats differences, the way you got xp and gold wasn't based on success. So getting killed by tincans had absolutely no importance.

And finally, also in January, every piece of equipment became extremely easy to get. It's just like if the target public of this mod was emo kids that lack the patience to appreciate what they buy. Before the patch, equipment had a value. Your first armor, weapon etc. were things you didn't forget about. Now it's so easy to get, equipment lost it's value.

I still like the mod, but for different, and obviously less reliable reasons.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2011, 06:21:08 pm »

- upkeep, level cap and retirements nerf.
+1

- the multiplier system. Now, everyone is ultra-concerned about winning rounds at all costs, not about having fun.
SO TRUE. Related is because the game is now such a tedious GRIND and people are struggling for all the xp they can get.  I play even when I don't really WANT to because I'm trying to grind to retire in hopes one day my xp bonus will be enough for it NOT to be a grind. That is not good when people are playing just to get ahead instead of playing when they WANT to for FUN. It has just become a mindless grind a thon for many.

Also I really think that while making things 'team' focused  is good and can work with the right players/community, I think more often than not when it doesn't work and you lose anyway you are left feeling helpless and powerless to affect your own PERSONAL fun and achievement. It gets old hoping and trying to affect an entire teams success when the much easier simpler and more FUN solution is to be able to affect your OWN success independently. Currently the only thing I can think of that directly rewards the individual is 'valor'. I know some people say if you make things 'competitive' people will tk and all that. Well I'd rather find ways to deal with that and play a game that's more FUN instead of being at the mercy of autobalance and who's on your team largely dictating your fun. When the ability to be rewarded is taken out of your hands and given to others you feel powerless and fun is less likely.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:27:33 pm by Lichen »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2011, 06:45:58 pm »
Make Longspears have: Cannot be used to block. Problem solved.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2011, 06:46:28 pm »
+1
^

Wrong Topic?  :)

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2011, 07:03:49 pm »
^

Wrong Topic?  :)

Not entirely, because long spears and pikes are one of the reason that cRPG has lost a good portion of the "Fun" factor to it, I can take on 5 guys and have a decent chance at winning if I play my cards right or just survive and get the time to retreat, meanwhile, if I end up fighting 2 guys, one that has a pike or a long spear, I'm just fucked with no chance of surviving or retaliation because I can't block two attacks at once, atleast when I fight 5 guys that don't have longspears/pikes I can dance just outside their reach, with a longspear/pike you just wiggle around and hit anyone within like a 3 meters radius of you.

And if you try to rush to kill the longspear/pike guy, LOL NOPE HE CAN BLOCK you're now fucked.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2011, 07:37:47 pm »
Not entirely, because long spears and pikes are one of the reason that cRPG has lost a good portion of the "Fun" factor to it, I can take on 5 guys and have a decent chance at winning if I play my cards right or just survive and get the time to retreat, meanwhile, if I end up fighting 2 guys, one that has a pike or a long spear, I'm just fucked with no chance of surviving or retaliation because I can't block two attacks at once, atleast when I fight 5 guys that don't have longspears/pikes I can dance just outside their reach, with a longspear/pike you just wiggle around and hit anyone within like a 3 meters radius of you.

And if you try to rush to kill the longspear/pike guy, LOL NOPE HE CAN BLOCK you're now fucked.

Granted, I don't like fighting multiple guys with longspears either, but I don't think it should lose it's ability to block. There's a reason why pikemen became a dominant force on the battlefield irl and people in game are starting to realize it too. It WOULD be a shitload better though if they'd remove it's ridiculous overhead.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2011, 07:46:57 pm »

Because they are the ultimate support weapon. They sacrifice 1v1 dueling for better support.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2011, 08:00:00 pm »

- upkeep, level cap and retirements nerf. Because before, dying to someone didn't mean anything because the stats differences were enough to make up for any player skill differences. Some fights felt like boss battles (captain georges for example), and you were a boss battle for someone else.
- the multiplier system. Now, everyone is ultra-concerned about winning rounds at all costs, not about having fun. That's why you see derp behavior that the pre-january versions were clean of.

Both are tightly related. When there were enormous stats differences, the way you got xp and gold wasn't based on success. So getting killed by tincans had absolutely no importance.

And finally, also in January, every piece of equipment became extremely easy to get. It's just like if the target public of this mod was emo kids that lack the patience to appreciate what they buy. Before the patch, equipment had a value. Your first armor, weapon etc. were things you didn't forget about. Now it's so easy to get, equipment lost it's value.

I still like the mod, but for different, and obviously less reliable reasons.

The more I think about this, the more I think you are absolutely right. Since winning has such a HUGE factor to advancing, people are going to do anything in their power to win. Nowadays everybody is trying to game the system as much as possible just to win. I think that's my big problem with it. It's a lot harder to play for fun when everyone else is playing to win and doing their best to exploit the items, game, system as much as possible to accomplish it. It all makes sense now...

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2011, 08:03:19 pm »
im so sorry for playing the game like its a war, i'll stop trying to win and play for fun from now on :)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2011, 08:11:06 pm »
im so sorry for playing the game like its a war, i'll stop trying to win and play for fun from now on :)

There's a difference between playing to win and playing to win AT ALL COSTS to the detriment of everything else.