Author Topic: Pole arm overhead issue  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Pole arm overhead issue
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:42:56 am »
+4
Alright. We all know that polearms have an interesting collision-detection for their overhead swings. And by that, I mean they don't hit teammates and only enemies.
Of course that is with anything using the polearm's overswing animation, so this includes the flamberge which is classified as a 2h.
Now, I did not see the hotfix. I have only heard some rumors, But all I heard was something vague about pole arms using an overhand thrust for a while and it being reverted. If this solution to the problem was already done and was unfavorable, let me know.

So, what is the possible solution to the pole arm issue (mainly the long spear)? Use the 2h animation for overhand swings on swinging weapons like pole axes, and give spears overhand thrust by replacing the pole overhand animation.
Something that simple would fix the broken aspect of ghosting through teammates, and add more diversity to the game -- while balancing long spears.
I haven't tested the way the 2h anim looks on poles yet, I can go test that in native though. SO maybe it looks awful and doesn't work.

Anyways, can a dev post regarding this? Was this the hotfix that was undone? Is this a possible solution prior to WSE implementation, or are we going to have to sit on our thumbs until then? As it is now, people are complaining that certain ~weapons~ are overpowered, when it is just a buggy collision detection on a specific animation. I don't want to see balance get fucked up in the name of not understanding the issue.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:44:19 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Pole arm overhead issue
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 10:44:29 am »
+1

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 11:01:15 am »
It has its issues as a solution. A straight swap with an unmodified 2h animation looks kind of silly with the hand so close together at the end. You can modify the 2h overswing animation in looks so that the hands spread a little further; naturalizing the pole look, but this can make it look like a 2her is grabbing his longsword blade slightly for example. It also has the adjacent issue of adding more reach to an overhead attack compared to the pole animation.

Anyways, I'm just proposing something that might work. Honestly, I think this would be better than ghosting through teammates.
Although I think you guys did this anyways (then undid it)...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:10:23 am by Marathon »
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Deathwhisper

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 11:28:53 am »
Are you sure this bug affects all polearms?

Long voulge and english bill do hit teammates, even those idiots who decide to stand behind you when you use your overhead. (and this happens all the time obviously, it's like going in front of a crossbowman when he's about to shoot and then cry because you got TKed...)

Giving the 2h animation to polearms wouldn't really work imo (stupid looking, +30 range for polearm overheads which would be a big buff...)

I know there are some animation replacer mods, we might use the animations from one of these mods (let's hope they aren't buggy).

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 11:40:11 am »
Are you sure this bug affects all polearms?

Long voulge and english bill do hit teammates, even those idiots who decide to stand behind you when you use your overhead. (and this happens all the time obviously, it's like going in front of a crossbowman when he's about to shoot and then cry because you got TKed...)

Giving the 2h animation to polearms wouldn't really work imo (stupid looking, +30 range for polearm overheads which would be a big buff...)

I know there are some animation replacer mods, we might use the animations from one of these mods (let's hope they aren't buggy).

I'm pretty sure ALL polearm overheads pass thru teammates but I also noticed they hit if teammates stand behind you or very very close infront of you.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:18:20 pm »
+3
The only proper fix is to remove the different collision detection behavior that kicks in when hitting a teammate. It's not an attack type issue, an animation issue, or a weapon type issue.
The overhand stab was only meant for pike-like weapons, but since the latest patch didn't update item stats, it applied to every polearm and had to be removed.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:20:33 pm by cmpxchg8b »

Offline Phalanx300

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 02:53:33 pm »
This would be great. Then Halberds and two handed clubs can use the swing and spear weapons can use the upper stab.

Now all we need is some more love for shield/spear.

Offline Shik

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Gilmore Girls
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 04:19:20 pm »
This was the change that was planned but as cmp said, since items were not updated it had to be reverted.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 05:49:17 am »
The only proper fix is to remove the different collision detection behavior that kicks in when hitting a teammate. It's not an attack type issue, an animation issue, or a weapon type issue.
The overhand stab was only meant for pike-like weapons, but since the latest patch didn't update item stats, it applied to every polearm and had to be removed.
Thanks for the confirmation :)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 08:32:41 pm »
I really hope to see it implemented properly in the next patch. The animation was goofy looking though, hmm.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 01:25:25 pm »
I heard from an infallible source that the overhead stab was almost impossible to tell apart from the downward stab, if so... why would it even be considered to be put back, "pike-like weapons only" or not.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 01:35:42 pm »
BTW polearms pass through enemies too, Especially my GLA. Happens most often with overheads