Poll

Anyone else think it's time for a West Coast NA Server?

YES!
51 (53.1%)
NO
21 (21.9%)
brbrbrbrafk
10 (10.4%)
yes and no
7 (7.3%)
I would host it!
7 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Time for a NA West Coast Server?  (Read 7619 times)

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
Re: Time for a NA West Coast Server?
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 07:50:32 pm »
There are so many people in south & west NA, and wow at some of these arguments. When it comes down to the hosting of servers you have best results to put them on the main hubs (that most traffic ends up going through anyways), which happen to be chicago, dallas, San jose, and bleh i'd have to look at a map of all the big pipes to remember the less important ones. Sure, you can host one in seattle, LA, salt lake city utah, or some other place as they get OK hosting, but you'll get best results off of the main spots.
Also, Chicago has some of the best latency for east coast (and everywhere close to it). You can't argue that one, it is true. Pretty much anywhere on the east coast, sin florida due to being far away, is going to have 70 or less ping to chicago.

I say all this but nobody cares. Just do some tracerouting and see the hubs they go through, you'll see.

tl;dr  If it is for specifically west coast you want it hosted in san jose. Most west coast traffic passes through san jose anyways. It gives the best latency to anyone in the southwest excluding the option of it being hosted in the specific town you live in, which is greedy, etc.

Take the marbles out of your mouth and use simpler terms for simple people.  All I heard was - put it in Seattle...then blah blah blah...etc.

Don't make it come to this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDDAqViQGqQ&feature=related

edit - Can't seem to tidy up that link for whatever reason
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:57:01 pm by 1slander »
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 07:54:07 pm »
I live in Oregon, my ping for chicago based servers is regularly 120 or so. While I would love a west coast based server I don't think we have the players for it, I would hate to see 50 players in the west coast server, and 50 in the east coast.

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2011, 07:56:25 pm »
If you wanted to get to a place that is 500 miles away, traveling at 50 miles per hour. You would arrive there faster than trying to get to a place that is only 100 miles away going 5 miles per hour. Ping works the same way.

He is saying to put the server where it has the highest maximum speed, regardless of location.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2011, 07:58:36 pm »
If you wanted to get to a place that is 500 miles away, traveling at 50 miles per hour. You would arrive there faster than trying to get to a place that is only 100 miles away going 5 miles per hour. Ping works the same way.

He is saying to put the server where it has the highest maximum speed, regardless of location.

I know I was kidding.

But remember that the server was offered to be located in Seattle.  I don't see anyone offering to put it anywhere else?  SOmeone else brought up the server location after the fact that only Seattle was even brought to the table as a choice...this is all offtopic.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2011, 08:05:14 pm »
dallas is a weak choice. this is a great opportunity to get a better ping server for west coast as well as those who live up north. i like the seattle idea, but having it in mid west usa would probably be decent too. i dont see the point of having it way south though, wouldnt be any different for all the NW people (which there are quite a few of!)

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2011, 08:09:30 pm »
tl;dr  If it is for specifically west coast you want it hosted in San Jose. Most west coast traffic passes through San Jose anyways. It gives the best latency to anyone in the southwest excluding the option of it being hosted in the specific town you live in, which is greedy, etc.

Woah, woah, woah... let's slow down here.

If it was hosted in San Jose I'd be sitting at around 10ms and would never be able to blame my deaths on Ping ever again. 

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2011, 08:11:22 pm »
I think chadz is going away for a week or some shit?  I don't remember the community voting on wether he could have holidays or not?  Does that mean this isn't happening right away?  I have no patience!  Omgz!

brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrafk

Offline Loki

• Count
  • Renown: 228
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • I don't know karate, but I know crazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Fallen Brigade
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Loki
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2011, 11:08:31 pm »
+1
I know 8 players just in Fallen that live in the pacific NW, it's be really nice to have a ping that is less than 100 for once.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2011, 03:32:05 am »
San Francisco Or San jose

somewhere in the bayyy

Offline Phoenix

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
  • Spinnin' and winnin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion
  • Game nicks: LL_Phoenix
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, 03:33:00 am »
YES PLEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ I live in west coast and I would have sooo much better ping... PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ x 100000000000
It's not always about winning. It's about spinning.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2011, 05:14:27 am »
I live in Oregon, my ping for chicago based servers is regularly 120 or so. While I would love a west coast based server I don't think we have the players for it, I would hate to see 50 players in the west coast server, and 50 in the east coast.

Playing today I really hate the current state of lag on the 100 man NA server.  I know it's not for everyone, but at round start my ping is elevated around 400-500 high and everything is crawling.  Takes 5-10 seconds to adjust.  You of course get all the prematch kicks and weopon swings from people with the game windowed down and still using the mouse buttons.  Then the ping slowly settles into 90-150 and has spikes accompanied by a general sluggishness that goes up and down.  So frustrating by this point.  SOmetimes you just have a big lag death where you don't really know what happened.

So ya, playing on a 50 man server on the west coast with a low ping...awesome!  The guys can always come over from the EC server and join us, time for them to try lag. 

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2011, 06:45:45 pm »
Don't get my wrong, I'm not really debating the location for my own interests. I'll get a lower ping from Seattle for sure as I'm in Nor-Cal. But there are others namely, 24,000,000 people in Texas and many more in the surrounding areas that wouldn't. How many play M&B WarBand... I don't know. But I started a poll hoping that Gorath would pick a more centralized location for the fact that I would like to see the community grow and attract more attention.

And they all live closer to Chicago than the west coasters.  My ping is only 20 lower than people who log into the chicago server from Europe.  That is some serious BS and why i don't donate to servers.   If a west coast server goes up then I will send some money and actually care about whether or not it stays up. 

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2011, 08:37:58 pm »
Playing today I really hate the current state of lag on the 100 man NA server.  I know it's not for everyone, but at round start my ping is elevated around 400-500 high and everything is crawling.  Takes 5-10 seconds to adjust.  You of course get all the prematch kicks and weopon swings from people with the game windowed down and still using the mouse buttons.  Then the ping slowly settles into 90-150 and has spikes accompanied by a general sluggishness that goes up and down.  So frustrating by this point.  SOmetimes you just have a big lag death where you don't really know what happened.

So ya, playing on a 50 man server on the west coast with a low ping...awesome!  The guys can always come over from the EC server and join us, time for them to try lag.

I agree, it would be sweet to not have to deal with all that! I guess the point I was trying to make was I would rather play on a server with 90 folks playing on it than have a choice of two servers with 50 people each.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, 08:49:36 pm »
  I agree, it would be sweet to not have to deal with all that! I guess the point I was trying to make was I would rather play on a server with 90 folks playing on it than have a choice of two servers with 50 people each.

I'd rather have 2 servers with 50 people than one big one where half the people get owned cause the other half has way better ping.

Offline bleyz

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2011, 04:10:31 am »
I'd rather have 2 servers with 50 people than one big one where half the people get owned cause the other half has way better ping.

As would I, but I don't see that happening. During peak hours I often see both Battle servers nearly full, sometimes the siege server has a decent amount of players on as well.

Everyone should understand that a lot of people first trying out the mod from the south west are going to see only a couple of servers with moderate ping levels, then when they play during peak might experience similar lag spikes that I've been experiencing; not to mention the high amount grind, upkeep, constant balance issues (aka nerfs), and the quick realization that you will never catch up to players(like GoreTooth) who have heir loomed 20x and are literally gods on the battlefield.

All of this is driving away a player base and potential funds for more servers. This server has a chance to at least eliminate the bad ping issues for the West and the other issues can be focused on in time.