Poll

Anyone else think it's time for a West Coast NA Server?

YES!
51 (53.1%)
NO
21 (21.9%)
brbrbrbrafk
10 (10.4%)
yes and no
7 (7.3%)
I would host it!
7 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Time for a NA West Coast Server?  (Read 7548 times)

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
Re: Time for a NA West Coast Server?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 04:34:00 am »
So where are the current NA battle/siege servers located?  I'm in Los Angeles and usually getting under 100 ping.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 04:34:46 am »
So where are the current NA battle/siege servers located?  I'm in Los Angeles and usually getting under 100 ping.

Chicago
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline BigBoss

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 04:54:04 am »
I live in North-West Mexico and have 90-100 on cRPG servers, a server on west would be AWESOME, I have 40 ping on L.A. servers, so a seattle would be... 60-70?

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 05:32:41 am »
Any idea on cost Gorath? 
Is it that you have a server or is it that you would rent one?
Must be different price per size right?
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 05:37:34 am »
Any idea on cost Gorath? 
Is it that you have a server or is it that you would rent one?
Must be different price per size right?

I'd be renting one.  I could host one I'm sure once I get my tax return and upgrade/buy puter shit, but I don't have my old T1 line anymore.  Now I'm on crappy cable (lol, beats the ol' 14.4 baud modem but still).  I'd probably go through Jest and his servers since he's reliable and the accessability for them is pretty simple.  Usually it's $1 a slot, so I'd say a minimum of 100 a month and that'd probably be like a 64-70 man server (have to account for tax and fees).

If chadz is cool with it and everything, I'll do the startup for sure once I get my money direct deposited (should be sometime in the next 5-8 days) and then figure out a donation page from there if people would like to help out.  Never a requirement though.  Ideally I'd like to keep the adminship spread throughout a few clans so to avoid any "FUCK (___insert clan here___) ADMIN ABOOSE!" shit.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 05:44:55 am »
I'd be renting one.  I could host one I'm sure once I get my tax return and upgrade/buy puter shit, but I don't have my old T1 line anymore.  Now I'm on crappy cable (lol, beats the ol' 14.4 baud modem but still).  I'd probably go through Jest and his servers since he's reliable and the accessability for them is pretty simple.  Usually it's $1 a slot, so I'd say a minimum of 100 a month and that'd probably be like a 64-70 man server (have to account for tax and fees).

If chadz is cool with it and everything, I'll do the startup for sure once I get my money direct deposited (should be sometime in the next 5-8 days) and then figure out a donation page from there if people would like to help out.  Never a requirement though.  Ideally I'd like to keep the adminship spread throughout a few clans so to avoid any "FUCK (___insert clan here___) ADMIN ABOOSE!" shit.

I agree with everything you said and would be willing to donate to see this happen.  If enough people threw down and it hit $80-100 wouldn't it be possible to see it happen sooner?  To be honest I don't see why you should have to pay for it all.  Especially considering all the QQ babies who then treat you like you're performing a service for them, crying in forums about abuse when they got booted for building ladder art or shot their team mates horse and whatever else when it's coming out of your pocket in the end.  No, we should all chip in, I'm pretty positive the WC peeps will do what's right and send you coin.

Talk to chadz, see if this is a go, then post a donation link through paypal I guess.  I think people will donate more if the donations are noted and costs are up front.  Otherwise I think people tend to think it's a money grab perhaps.  I dunno, just my 2 cents.

Offline bleyz

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 05:50:11 am »
I live in North-West Mexico and have 90-100 on cRPG servers, a server on west would be AWESOME, I have 40 ping on L.A. servers, so a seattle would be... 60-70?

Looking at a map, Seattle is probably further away from you. I doubt you see better pings.

Once I take care of some bills/upgrades I've been debating whether or not to spring for a Seattle cRPG server if chadz would be cool with that.

I don't think Seattle should be considered, the population up there is low, and will only benefit a small number over people, and will exclude so many more.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 06:02:11 am »
It will still be lower.  I don't entirely get it though.  I mean Gorath offers to pay for the server himself even yet people don't think it's worth it?  Any WC server is great.  I am of course all for Seattle as it's close to me.  You play on an east coast server atm, and it works right?  Seattle can only be better, for alot of people.  For those right in the middle of pings, I guess they just get more variety.

Let's face it.  It would be a swing vote on which server to play right.  During peak hours in EC alot of WC people might play due to higher #'s, while it would be vice versa for the WC peak times.  It would yo-yo but at least alot of us on this side of the map could get a taste of low ping.

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 06:03:10 am »
I'd be content if just one of the three current servers would move to Dallas, but a West Coast server would be even more wonderful!

Offline bleyz

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 06:13:28 am »
It will still be lower.  I don't entirely get it though.  I mean Gorath offers to pay for the server himself even yet people don't think it's worth it?  Any WC server is great.  I am of course all for Seattle as it's close to me.  You play on an east coast server atm, and it works right?  Seattle can only be better, for alot of people.  For those right in the middle of pings, I guess they just get more variety.

Let's face it.  It would be a swing vote on which server to play right.  During peak hours in EC alot of WC people might play due to higher #'s, while it would be vice versa for the WC peak times.  It would yo-yo but at least alot of us on this side of the map could get a taste of low ping.

Don't get my wrong, I'm not really debating the location for my own interests. I'll get a lower ping from Seattle for sure as I'm in Nor-Cal. But there are others namely, 24,000,000 people in Texas and many more in the surrounding areas that wouldn't. How many play M&B WarBand... I don't know. But I started a poll hoping that Gorath would pick a more centralized location for the fact that I would like to see the community grow and attract more attention.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 06:17:48 am »
Don't get my wrong, I'm not really debating the location for my own interests. I'll get a lower ping from Seattle for sure as I'm in Nor-Cal. But there are others namely, 24,000,000 people in Texas and many more in the surrounding areas that wouldn't. How many play M&B WarBand... I don't know. But I started a poll hoping that Gorath would pick a more centralized location for the fact that I would like to see the community grow and attract more attention.

IMO a growing population means overpopulated servers.  I already have to wait to get on during peak times with that crazy cool down pw timer.  The servers can only handle what the donators are already donating for slot space.  Maybe this is a dilluted point since perhaps more players means more donators, but I would imagine the % of players who actually donate is very small anyways vs the actual player base.  I would imagine the real donators are the ones providing the servers, and what is provided is probably all they are comfortable providing.  I'd donate monthly to a real low ping server for me.  But I'm just one guy.  But ya, not arguing a point, because it could really be looked at either way right?  No definitive right answer imo.  But if Gorath is ready to roll, a Seattle server is awesome!

Offline bleyz

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 06:39:29 am »
IMO a growing population means overpopulated servers.  I already have to wait to get on during peak times with that crazy cool down pw timer.  The servers can only handle what the donators are already donating for slot space.  Maybe this is a dilluted point since perhaps more players means more donators, but I would imagine the % of players who actually donate is very small anyways vs the actual player base.  I would imagine the real donators are the ones providing the servers, and what is provided is probably all they are comfortable providing.  I'd donate monthly to a real low ping server for me.  But I'm just one guy.  But ya, not arguing a point, because it could really be looked at either way right?  No definitive right answer imo.  But if Gorath is ready to roll, a Seattle server is awesome!

I just started playing not to long ago...  Right now I have the cash flow to rent multiple servers and keep them hosted for years with out any support from donations or wherever. Am I willing to so? Not yet, I'm not sure this mod is going in a positive growth direction. Right now I seeing a struggling community, bickering, accusations of admin abuse, accusations of favoritism in form of nerfs from the dev no less(not that this is true)etc etc.. We'll see if this continues on a new server.

The issue of more players is no brainier. More players will no doubt bring in more money for servers. With that you'll want to make as many people satisfied, and I'm sorry but Seattle Wa, even with the weight of Canada behind it, is a minority area. It's tiny compared to the Southern/Western States. Just look at the population charts.

In any case since I'm not willing shell out the cash for a server myself ultimately it's up Gorath and if indeed a he chooses Seatle that's fine, I'll get lower pings and I'm sure that some others will as well.

Offline Kimichi

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 07:04:00 am »
In my experience in gaming DFW are the best server location for being neutral for all parties that live in any part of America.

In my opinion having a DFW would be the best bet for the expansion of this game and than taking up a dedicated west coast server either in Seattle or San Jose later down the road.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 07:06:00 am »
This has all been hashed over alot quite a few times - the whole WC server thing.  I myself have only been playing about 7 weeks maybe, tops?  I am with you on all you say Beyz.  I still find the community odd at times, but it took awhile to adjust and now it just sort of makes sense.  There are some really miserable people who play this mod, and they are so noisy at times they make new players feel like it's a whole bunch of people, but naw.  It's really just a few bad apples.  All in all I've found the community to be decent enough. 

But ya, starting up servers having just started playing.  I'd wait for sure.

What's a DFW?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:08:32 am by 1slander »

Offline bleyz

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 07:17:15 am »
This has all been hashed over alot quite a few times - the whole WC server thing.  I myself have only been playing about 7 weeks maybe, tops?  I am with you on all you say Beyz.  I still find the community odd at times, but it took awhile to adjust and now it just sort of makes sense.  There are some really miserable people who play this mod, and they are so noisy at times they make new players feel like it's a whole bunch of people, but naw.  It's really just a few bad apples.  All in all I've found the community to be decent enough. 

But ya, starting up servers having just started playing.  I'd wait for sure.

What's a DFW?

Dallas Forth Worth