Author Topic: Boosting Knives  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Munchkin9

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Boosting Knives
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:58:34 pm »
Though I have not yet played the new Mercenary mod, I did make a character to look at the items and noticed something interesting: knives do a lot of damage on thrusts. And I thought to myself: say that is a pretty good idea because it would not be unbalanced knives have extremely short range and can't block so them doing a lot of damage would not matter in a straight fight. However it would allow for some interesting back stabbing, something which those ninja types might enjoy. With their current zero slot it also means that I could grab it and use it when I want to guarantee a kill when sneaking up behind people.

My main reason for this is that at the moment knives are completely useless. Yes I know they are a peasants weapon so they 'should' be useless but that isn't true. When I'm a peasant I use a practice longsword or something like that, which still does plenty of damage and can actually block so I wouldn't ever consider taking a knife as a weapon. So what's the point of having a weapon that nobody will or should use?
Chars: Redreg

That's it. Don't like it? Tough.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
Re: Boosting Knives
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:49:22 pm »
Daggers/Knives are nowhere near useless. Aim for the head and make sure you invested in PS and Athletics and a dagger is an amazing weapon. Footwork combined with it's blisteringly high speed means that you can actually outswing those with slow weapons and dance around those with faster 1handers. It's only issue is the fact that it glances at close range (daggers are designed for close range) but i think that's an engine limitation.

I've killed people in plate/plated helms with daggers before and i'm nowhere near a stellar player. The weapon has a very specific niche, but when you learn how to use them they are amazingly handy.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:08:42 pm »
Well, knifes are backup weapons, so if everything goes wrong, then you do not have to fight with your bare hands.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 03:45:03 am »
+2

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 04:09:00 am »
+1
Daggers were made to pierce and kill people in plate in close range :( Instead they do very little damage.
Ylca, Don't pretend and say they are good as is. Why get a dagger if you could use the espada, have more thrust, more everything -- and block!

ffs just give daggers like 33 pierce. Let them stab, they can't block. Don't leave things nerfed when you could create more fun and niche classes by buffing other things up to par by making them good at something.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:00:26 am »
Daggers were made to pierce and kill people in plate in close range :( Instead they do very little damage.
Ylca, Don't pretend and say they are good as is. Why get a dagger if you could use the espada, have more thrust, more everything -- and block!

ffs just give daggers like 33 pierce. Let them stab, they can't block. Don't leave things nerfed when you could create more fun and niche classes by buffing other things up to par by making them good at something.

I already pointed out there was a problem with glancing. Why get a dagger instead of a long espada? Because 112 is light years faster than 103 speed and with a decent WPF and ATH you can beat someone silly and dart back out of their range before they've noticed what happened. Much like the katana the dagger is for a very particular play style.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 08:21:38 am »
Daggers were made to pierce and kill people in plate in close range

LOL HAH NO, daggers were more certainly NOT made to pierce plate.  Daggers and dirks were a weapon of last resort....peasants and grunts may use daggers on a downed knight to dog pile and finish him off, they certainly werent stabbing into his plate armor.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 08:44:21 am »
+5
LOL HAH NO, daggers were more certainly NOT made to pierce plate.  Daggers and dirks were a weapon of last resort....peasants and grunts may use daggers on a downed knight to dog pile and finish him off, they certainly werent stabbing into his plate armor.

Not just peasants, but nearly everyone on the battle field had a dagger to stab downed knights. They'd open the visor to see if it was someone important (to keep for ransom). If he wasn't, they'd stab him in the face with their dagger.

Funny thing with a dagger build though, it requires so much athletics it hardly leaves room for PS. BUT, chambering becomes so much easier with a high speed weapon and high wpf.
I could go on the duel server and chamber a few hits in a row, get a few hits in and then got killed because they started holding attacks.

I'm in favor of increasing the stab damage on the long dagger to something in the 30's.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:45:30 am by Spawny »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 10:19:34 am »
+2
made to pierce and kill people in plate
I did not say "To pierce plate". I know, semantics & grammar.

Back to the point. They were used to get into the weak points of armor and kill. Something other weapons ~could not do easily~. They should not be a worthless weapon in game taking space up, when you could instead make them a niche useful weapon. For example, after knocking someone down you could pull your dagger out and stab them in that duration if it withdrew faster and stabbed for more.
I already pointed out there was a problem with glancing. Why get a dagger instead of a long espada? Because 112 is light years faster than 103 speed and with a decent WPF and ATH you can beat someone silly and dart back out of their range before they've noticed what happened. Much like the katana the dagger is for a very particular play style.
That speed is not that big of a deal. Way exaggerating it's in game application of speed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:23:54 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:21:43 pm »
Ever played a 3/33 or 3/36 Build?With 11 or 12 athletics and a shitload of wpf?Try to use a knife or a Dagger with it.Run up to people, stab, kill.

It´s almost like lancing.

Knifes dont really need a buff or such builds would become...too effective.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Barracuda

• Knight
  • Renown: 63
  • Infamy: 5
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mersenaamat
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 12:39:51 pm »
Daggers are not completely useless. With 5 ps and 0 wpf I managed to kill 3 roof-camping archers and the 4th one jumped down to his death. One of the funniest moments I've had with this game :D.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 02:07:51 pm »
If daggers got super high pierce damage you'd see loads of people with bucklers and daggers running around lol stabbing everything...
Turtles

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 02:53:31 pm »
Way exaggerating it's in game application of speed.

What's your WPF and STR?

Offline Munchkin9

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 04:00:06 pm »
If daggers got super high pierce damage you'd see loads of people with bucklers and daggers running around lol stabbing everything...

That is sadly a very good point. And will quickly lead me to complain about shields again especially bucklers. But avoiding that: I think I slight boost in damage (maybe only to low 30s) would still be a welcomed boost and the short range would keep it from being used with bucklers too much.

And btw everyone carried knives around as a last resort if they lost hold of their weapon or if it broke. Killing people that were down would probably only happen after a battle was over. Ironically enough this is something the Brytanwalda mod reproduces nicely. Though the lack of 2-handed swords in it turns me off slightly. What do you want, I know what I like.
Chars: Redreg

That's it. Don't like it? Tough.

Offline marco1391

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Legio_Marco1691
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:49 pm »
iirc in the mercenaries mod there are some dagger with some kind of backstab ability that gives them the ability to oneshot if you hit the enemy on the back, this could be a great feature added to crpg and could simply negate their effectiveness with a shield due to the nature of the buff(they would be nearly useless in normal fights), in the mercenaries mod they aren't overpowered(they're not really much used beside to have some funny moments)and without the ability to block a frontal attack would be equal to death