Author Topic: Dedicated Crossbowmen - where have they gone?  (Read 14192 times)

Offline Sir_Ironlake

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated Crossbowmen - where have they gone?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 11:30:10 am »
I have an xbow alt that has ~130 wpf in xbow and ~70 in 1hander. And Im having fun, but admittidley most of my well doing is because of my melee skills not the xbowing.

Frankly, the xbow is too weak and takes 2-5 shoots to kill, yr avrg healthy medium armored person. Thats just too much. A sniper xbow *might* kill in 2 hits, but only on light armor. So either you shoot a few peasnts for kills or maybe 1 enemy. The slow reload means you can average about 5 fired bolts a round. So even if you hit 100% (which is kinda asking too much) you can hardly kill much.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 11:47:13 am »
Yeah.. That's kind of the problem right now with xbows. My main is 79 pole and 140 xbow, sniper with steel bolts, and it's not unusual I hit some guy with no clothes in the chest and he survives. I assume he's fairly high lvl with some IF, but still. Anyone with a loomed fully loomed xbow experiencing this as well?
Monkeys!

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 12:00:57 pm »
Yeah.. That's kind of the problem right now with xbows. My main is 79 pole and 140 xbow, sniper with steel bolts, and it's not unusual I hit some guy with no clothes in the chest and he survives. I assume he's fairly high lvl with some IF, but still. Anyone with a loomed fully loomed xbow experiencing this as well?

Too be fair, thats not uncommon with any weapon now. However even with armour xbows and throwing seems to be the only weapons that take more then 60% hp in one hit.

Offline Manabalu

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Manabalu
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 12:04:23 pm »
I have a masterwork sniper (87p+8p) and usally don't have that problem. Nakeds are always onehit kills, light armor too, if he is not too far away.
All in all I like to be a crossbowmen now. The good crossbows are too expensive as side weapons and the damge of the higher ones is alright again.

Offline Manabalu

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Manabalu
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 12:06:07 pm »
Too be fair, thats not uncommon with any weapon now. However even with armour xbows and throwing seems to be the only weapons that take more then 60% hp in one hit.

The problem with higher xBows is: You just have one shot and it is really disappointing if that shot can't kill a naked, like before the last patch.
Anyway a dedicated melee can easily onehit a naked with his flamberge, thats the price class we are talking about...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:12:29 pm by Manabalu »

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 12:21:18 pm »
Love your avatar, Gnjus!  :)

I might try X-bows in a lil' bit after 4 mil xp to retire.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 12:21:34 pm »
One thing you have to keep in mind is that damaging an opposing player helps winning the round. You don't have to get the kill do be rewarded. So instead of shooting nakeds - as satisfying that is - going for armored targets as a crossbowman is recommended. If possible, leave the unprotected foes for the archers and focus on the heavy metal with a siege/heavy crossbow.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:22:45 pm by Paul »

Offline Radix

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • I blind my enemies with pure awesomenes
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Radox_II
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 12:30:06 pm »
I am playing 131 wpf xbow and 101 1h+ norman shield. I use heavy crossbow and actualy never 1hit kill like before, what forced me to aim higher for head what means more misses. If I have a good day, and map is xbowman friendly I can get to the top 3 players, but it requires a lot of effort. I have a feeling that xbow dmg is to low, it even happens for naked guy to survive a close shoot which is totally unfair, cose it is a crossbow and the power is generated from the steel prod.... it actualy should go trough a naked guy and stick in a guy behind him. I feel that xbow is the weakest ranged weapon which is unrealistic but good for game balance I guess. Tips for xbowmans to survive are:

- invest a fair amount of wpf in melee

- use heavier armors u dont need mobility like archers

- always look for cover - xbowman is nothing in open field

- never go for 1v1 fight with archer unless u have a cover

- look around carefully and search for archers that dont move while shooting and snipe them

-if u spot a plate user: aim for him, xbow is very good for damaging plate users what is benefitial to the team

- use  corners of the  houses - jump out, shoot in the group of enemies, hide again to reload - this is a speciality of xbowmans in my opinions, or was cose throwers are taking advantage in that kind of fight
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:33:40 pm by Radix »

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 12:43:57 pm »
(click to show/hide)

You just hit the top retard list. You must feel honoured.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 01:03:30 pm »
Priority targets, from biggest threat to the least are: Archers, crossbowmen, cavalry, Pole/ 2 handers, shielders.
When I aim and shoot, I have circa 1-5 sec to fire my bolt and get the hell out of dodge. Otherwise, some bugger just like me is gonna pin me.

But the absolute biggest reason to shoot other ranged are:

They are standing still.

Melee move erratic, and when the reloading is as long as it is, I want to make that shot count. Why miss a melee when you can kill an archer?
I love shooting 2-handers and shielders, especially when they have lots of armour and are chopping up my team (I always target my fellow mercs). In most cases it's better to "safe" the shot then to risk it.
Monkeys!

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 01:56:39 pm »
everyone is dodging..

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 04:09:41 pm »
Solution: Ban dodging.

justme: what are you talking about? Of course people dodge, but RANGED stand still when firing.
Monkeys!

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2011, 09:38:08 pm »
One thing you have to keep in mind is that damaging an opposing player helps winning the round. You don't have to get the kill do be rewarded.

As long as there is a scoreboard in the game that keeps track of your KDR and not damage dealt, then your statement will be innacurate.  Sad, but true.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 11:50:31 pm »
I think the solution here is my "Gravity" Thread.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 01:08:04 am »

Huh? I get one-shotted everytime with a xbow. He's got that one chance though. If he misses, he wont get to reload.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login