Author Topic: Dedicated Crossbowmen - where have they gone?  (Read 13535 times)

Offline Fasader

• Vain onion-eyed pigeon egg
  • Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • Item unbalancer
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fasader, Mlatimir, Fasadripac, Modnar
  • IRC nick: Fasader
Re: Dedicated Crossbowmen - where have they gone?
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2011, 03:38:26 pm »
Why it is not suited for dedicated crossbowman ? Seem fine for them, you trade damage for speed. Urist is right.

It's not like 1h where you have to pick best weapon to compete, there is tradeoff.

because after 138 wpf the accuracy doesn't get any better.
21:33:22 BaldRider: Poem submission: okiN is fat, chadz is blue, Fasader is pretty sexy, but not you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://soundcloud.com/shitfactory/father-and-panos

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2011, 03:41:10 pm »
because after 138 wpf the accuracy doesn't get any better.

That is nice info for my xbow build, thanks.

Offline Fasader

• Vain onion-eyed pigeon egg
  • Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • Item unbalancer
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fasader, Mlatimir, Fasadripac, Modnar
  • IRC nick: Fasader
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2011, 03:42:55 pm »
! ! ! to the item sheet, stats changing time!
21:33:22 BaldRider: Poem submission: okiN is fat, chadz is blue, Fasader is pretty sexy, but not you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://soundcloud.com/shitfactory/father-and-panos

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2011, 03:52:37 pm »
It's a hybrid's weapon. Heavy and (really) sniper are for crossbowmen.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2011, 06:16:48 pm »
Don't really see how an x-bowman can be anything but a hybrid.  The reload rate is too slow and damage too low per shot to make it a primary weapon rather than a sidearm for your melee.  That said, I have fun on my x-bowman/1her-shield character.  100 wpf in x-bow with a regular x-bow and steel bolts, but other than in siege servers on defense it's only really good for maybe 2-3 shots before the melee line is in my face and I'm duking it out hand to hand.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2011, 06:46:28 pm »
I almost agree with Gorath (wtf!!), try using roofs, agreed on the rest, dedicated xbowman is a build people make for fun but it's gimped right now.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2011, 07:48:10 pm »
Well, if you're going to play as a crossbowman, play as a crossbowman. Grab a heavy or preferably sniper if you can afford it, stay somewhere a bit off and try to snipe horses (which is a big help to your team when you down one), ranged, maybe some hero meleer if you get the chance. You'll get the opportunity to farm kills when it's melee time (the fighting got near / further away and you're mopping reminders), someone tries to backstab you, etc.

It's a different playstyle then melee with crossbow sidearm, and it's generally a more relaxing one sometimes. Of course melee wpf helps, but it helps for everyone who isn't one of the bundle of stickss which run away from every opportunity to get kills in melee.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:49:30 pm by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2011, 07:51:05 pm »
Well, if you're going to play as a crossbowman, play as a crossbowman. Grab a heavy or preferably sniper if you can afford it, stay somewhere a bit off and try to snipe horses, ranged, maybe some hero meleer if you get the chance. You'll get the opportunity to farm kills when it's melee time (the fighting got near / further away and you're mopping reminders), someone tries to backstab you, etc.

It's a different playstyle then melee with crossbow sidearm, and it's generally a more relaxing one sometimes.

And killing horses of players like Tommyyy lead to better modifier. Shooting him when he is in melee helps too (but many retards with xbow just join the fray to die in miserable way, instead of killing some hero when i stall his progress with shield :/).
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Chaos

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Takeda
  • Game nicks: Chaos_Takeda, Spec_Ops_Chaos_Takeda
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2011, 09:31:08 am »
I have a hybrid xbowman:

lvl 30 - Spec_Ops_Chaos_Takeda

Strength - 15
Agility - 24

One Handed   1
Two Handed   67
Polearm   1
Archery   1
Crossbow   165
Throwing   1

Ironflesh   0   
Power Strike   5   
Shield   0   
Athletics   8   
Riding   0   
Horse Archery   0   
Power Draw   0   
Power Throw   0   
Weapon master *   8

He does fine using sniper xbow and steel bolts with basically no armor and a miaodao. Melee isnt too great but competitive enough, which is good because melee is inevitable, as it should be.

Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that using the sniper xbow over the light or regular or even heavy xbows is more or less pointless. why would you give up all that reload speed just to still take 2 shots to kill a naked thrower or a leather covered archer (plus add delay to your shots)? well for me its because im too lazy to get used to the ballistics of the other xbows again. other than that, the class is pretty much fine. imo though, the class was meant to be a lot slower with the reload and a little higher with the damage.

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2011, 06:18:53 pm »
Does shield on back stop projectiles or lower their damage? Any even slight use of a crossbowman having shield on their back?
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline Bear

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Baron_Bear
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2011, 06:26:27 pm »
In singleplayer the damage get reduced by 50% if u get shot in the back while havin a shield there.
alltough i had read somewhere that it also works in multiplayer. :)

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2011, 07:03:14 pm »
Does shield on back stop projectiles or lower their damage? Any even slight use of a crossbowman having shield on their back?

Yes, it lowers damage.  Just yesterday I shot my friend in the back.  It was raining, he was running away from me and it hit the shield on the back, and that was enough for my heavy crossbow to glance off his brigandine.

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2011, 07:39:07 pm »
Yes, it lowers damage.  Just yesterday I shot my friend in the back.  It was raining, he was running away from me and it hit the shield on the back, and that was enough for my heavy crossbow to glance off his brigandine.

The damage was also lower probably because of rain. Any chance you can repeat it with just shield but no rain?
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2011, 07:58:31 pm »
Yeah, that's why I mentioned that it was raining.  All of the circumstances I mentioned contributed to him receiving lower damage.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2011, 08:50:30 pm »
The top weapon in each category *should be* so expensive that you can't have it all the time. That is proper balance with current upkeep.

Ok, so lets make sideswords, german poleaxe, danish/german greatswords, and warbow/longbow all cost the same amount as the current price of the sniper xbow. Bring on the whine.

Anyone tried heirlooming both the xbow and steel bolts yet ?

I have a masterwork sniper xbow, haven't got to the bolts yet. But for those interested, even the masterwork siege rarely 1-shots people, even in light-medium armor. Nakeds or people in peasant tunics are about the only people to get one-shotted. And I've even seen people in black robes survive shot from my masterwork sniper + steel bolts at longer ranges.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:00:14 pm by Heroin »
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.