Author Topic: How to get a pub team under your control, leading them to victory?  (Read 3357 times)

Offline H4rdn3ssKill3r

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Crummy Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: naaaaaaaaaah
Re: How to get a pub team under your control, leading them to victory?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 04:13:52 pm »
I hate you pebbles, You seem so un hostile, but you can shoot above my shield :(
Bastard pebbles!
f8uasdlöadk blablablababa lbalba
^ Analogy of discussions on forums.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 05:07:22 pm »
Well the best thing to do is since there is a thing called banner balance and it puts clans together to appeal to that crowd when you see them or try working with them.

if theres a say 6-7 of you and you start moving one way theres a big chance the ppl will follow you because you atleast look to know what you are doing. might not work the first time bu go your own way and when you do good ppl will realise thats the way to go.

so my advice stick with the clans and communicate with them and the random/casual guys will follow for sure.

if not hell atleast you tried and atleast small group of you guys played the game as its supposed to be played and you made a diffrence, theres nothing better than the last stand with all odds against you, hell i get a good kick and a laught out it.

cheers
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 05:10:13 pm »
My biggest problem is that i'm a polearm cav, so i won't be moving with the infantry all the time, and therefore they cant follow me. Instead, they just charge up some hill with 10 skilled archers on top instead of ie. camping the village or flanking.

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 06:02:35 pm »
+3
I've found that by having high athletics and getting out ahead of the group after everyone spawns, you tend to become an inadvertent leader. Can't count the number of times I've run in one direction and turned around to see most of the team heading the same way.
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Answord

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 08:36:37 pm »
 I'm always trying to manipulate team if i see that situation is grim and we can be wiped out.Like i make some ladders to roofs or a bunker of siege shields  and ask "please use ladder" or "we need some stupid snipas and crazy paratroopers on da house".But this almost never works.
 Anyway,almost nobody will listen to you,even if you suggest a good plan.Even talking with CAPS and super simple orders like "all go left..left is like right ,but to the left" doesn't work..I think it's because half of playing people here are chineese bots and they just don't know such complicated english words.But maybe if u say to them "defend cookies in that boat",or "kill em all cause they stole our cookies" will work.

If u really want that friendly humanoids would listen to you and your orders for sure,the only way is to speak with them in Raspberry Language.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:23:15 am by Answord »

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 08:52:32 pm »
I've tried to organize people in Siege defense lately, to no avail. Typically, most siege maps have a choke point near the flag, and defense will generally win if everyone goes to that choke point immediately. Yet people insist on dying on the walls, then we lose because there are 3 people at the choke point.

People would rather participate in the action 30 seconds sooner than win the round.

I've found that attackers are much more willing to organize in siege, which is why attackers win 75% of the time. Something about being on the defense team makes people stupider I guess.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 02:10:50 am »
Good topic. I wish people played more tactically.

A bit OT but these are some things that really annoys me sometimes:

- You are on a scattered team vs an enemy that sticks close together keeping their formation. When this happens you almost always lose, no matter if you alone kill half their team.
- Your team consists of raging zombies (with no thoughts of counter tactics that just charges the enemy, even though it means attacking a bunch of archers on a roof without having shields).
You tell them to retreat / stand back and counter camp but they don't listen. What could have been an easy win turns into a certain loss...
- Almost everyone on your team have an X5. But instead of (for example) camping spawn for some minutes (enjoying the reward that the multiplier gives you) they all just rush the enemy.

The bigger the server, the more everyone is affected by this bot / zombie behaviour.
It's quite interesting that the same behaviour is repeated on every map. The fights always take place at the same places. Both teams almost always rushes the center of the map.
Have you ever asked yourself why you and your team are running in the direction you do? Is it good? If it's not, why do you do it?

Just step forward and take command. If your tactics are succesful more people will follow. A good individual score helps but is not neccessary.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:13:29 am by Riddaren »

Offline Khorup

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Royal Beer Association
  • Game nicks: RBA_Kahnis
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 01:24:26 pm »

Phew wrote:
I've tried to organize people in Siege defense lately, to no avail. Typically, most siege maps have a choke point near the flag, and defense will generally win if everyone goes to that choke point immediately. Yet people insist on dying on the walls, then we lose because there are 3 people at the choke point.

Totally agree , eventhough the enemy is at the flag, people tend to ignore this, to get up on the walls  :?

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 01:28:24 pm »
This topic should be stickied just for the title.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 01:35:29 pm »
Ah, I see you guys enjoy the discussion.

Very good tips there, keep it up.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 02:08:31 pm »
A good tip for Siege defense is to always tell your team what the enemy is doing if you are the only (or one of the only) people witnessing thier master plan unfold. You see/hear 5+ guys hitting the back door you all caps 'SOME AT BACKDOOR, NEED HELP' you don't stand there and try to hit them through the door with your game mechanic abusing reach 130+ sword/axe/whatever of doom and you definately don't wait for them to chop down the door and defend it yourself and hope the rest of the team notices.

Your team needs up to the minute status updates on what is happening at each of the major locations such as gatehouse taken? Gate up/down? Backdoor open? Backdoor up/down? Ladders on wall in a sneaky spot? Chokepoint over-run? ONE LONE NINJA CAPPING FLAG? So they can decide where they can place themselves to defend the most effectively and remember your life is more important than anything except the flag, stay alive as long as possible and the attackers will be placed in a false sense of security due to insta respawn and 5 minutes to take the flag so they WILL go chasing kills - let them chase kills instead of the real objective, but don't get yourself killed in the process. Shielders work best for annoying the hell out of multiple people with thier autoblock + quick turning skills and may induce a little tunnel vision in enemies at the flag if they play defensively if they are stopping the atatckers from capping it. Use it try to pull them off the flag, stay far enough away to lure them out a bit but close enough to stop the flag lowering.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Khorup

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 02:30:02 pm »
Use a banner
In battles, remember to put a banner on your self, if you and your team have agreed upon a plan. Often I see
people trying to lead the crowd, but with no banner to follow, it often ends badly.

Communication
To often have I been in a shieldwall(or part in some tactic), and no communications occur. This often makes people inpatient, and
they start to charge or run away. This is why it is so vitial, to communicate with the people your leading.
If I get a group to follow me, and we make a shieldwall, I always state our next move, so the people who
follow me, knows what I plan to do.

Use voice commands
These are underrated. You can lead your entire team, only by voicecommands, so use them. Tell people when to follow you,
hold or charge. Use these commands in combination with team chat, and it'll work wonders.

Input
If you get a group of people to follow you, ask for their opinions while moving, or waiting for the enemy. This
makes them feel part of the decisions, and this makes them want to follow you again.

Aftermath
Whenever a plan works/fail, comment on it in team chat. If the plan failed, try to improve it with your team.
If I lead some people, and it fails gruesomely, I tend to make a joke out of it like, "Ah, that charge was a bad call",
and most of the time, people comes with input, on how we could win the next round.

Stop spamming voice commands
I often see people spamming commands like charge, and other spams the hold command. This makes people confused,
and often leads to a loss. If your not leading, try to keep your voice commands to a minimume, only use the commands
like "infantry incoming", as this can help the leader.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:35:22 pm by Khorup »

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 02:49:44 pm »
I once managed to get all the teams cavalry (Apart from 1 or 2) following me on an open plains map. And somebody else got the infantry to make a shield wall.
I simply put a flag on my head and said something along the lines of 'Cavalry follow me!'
The infantry guy also used flags.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 02:53:31 pm »
Quick question:

How do you put a flag on yourself? Also, is the flag random, or you can decide.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Khorup

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 02:58:19 pm »
First assign yourself to a battelion, press "P". When this is down, look down, and press F1 one of two times, this way you'll get a banner.