Author Topic: Buff the Ashwood Pike  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Civilian

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Civilian_ATS
Re: Buff the Ashwood Pike
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 11:35:01 pm »
I agree with Diomedes's suggestions.

The awlpike is fine as is.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 04:03:03 am »
I knew the nerf train crew would roll into the station at some point in this thread.
"buff stuff into equality? No, Just nerf everything."
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 08:34:20 am »
I knew the nerf train crew would roll into the station at some point in this thread.
"buff stuff into equality? No, Just nerf everything."

cRPG "Nerf the world" - Cause that's how we roll... :rolleyes:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 01:29:43 pm »
Who suggested to nerf everything? I did not propose any stats change to any weapon. The only thing I suggested was to make the awlpike a "cannot sheath" weapon like all the others at it size. The ashwood is a great weapon for its cost. Some guy wants make it his main weapon so he found another which costs twice as much and wants to make their stats equal. It would mean that the cost will have to go up, or the next cry would be that it is unfair that the awlpike is so expensive  - look! there is this ashwood pike here that is just as good and costs half as much...

Stop making everything top end weapon. We need a mid range that is cheap enough to be brought as a secondary and tossed away when you need to draw your main weapon. The awlpike just break the polearm logic by being sheathable. This is why so many people use it over other polearms, much more than its pure stats. Making it unsheable will not affect anyone who use it as their primary weapon. The unsheathable is the balance card for polearms which are powerful weapons with a dreaded stun. You want one? carry it in your hands!

For the record:
My main is a pole/1H hybrid. Yes I toss away my swiss/bill/ashwood when I draw my 1H to stand in a shield wall or duel somone.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:32:40 pm by MouthnHoof »

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 09:52:16 pm »
Some guy wants make it his main weapon so he found another which costs twice as much and wants to make their stats equal

The main issue here is that the ashwood is good for nothing.  The awlpike is used so often because it can be used with a shield.  Besides that it's uncommonly short for a 2-attack direction weapon.  If the awlpike could not be used with a shield it would not be nearly so useful.  The ashwood pike, though, cannot be used with shield or attack in 4 directions.  It also cannot be sheathed.  It also has worse stats than the awlpike in almost every regard.  I don't want another awlpike, and I think the thread made that pretty clear, but a worthwhile alternative to the awlpike.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:53:34 pm by Diomedes »

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 02:37:23 pm »
The ashwood is 1 cm longer (negligible), 2 less thrust damage (still a very good 31p) and 2 less speed (borderline significant). It costs half as much, which means I can carry another weapon, or wear better armor in the same budget. The 4 swing directions and the ability to sheath on a 160+ reach weapon should not be, even though this is the case with the awlpike. Can you explain why the Swiss halberd has no swings?

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 02:39:19 pm »
The ashwood is 1 cm longer (negligible), 2 less thrust damage (still a very good 31p) and 2 less speed (borderline significant). It costs half as much, which means I can carry another weapon, or wear better armor in the same budget. The 4 swing directions and the ability to sheath on a 160+ reach weapon should not be, even though this is the case with the awlpike. Can you explain why the Swiss halberd has no swings?

Last time I checked the awlpike had only 2 attack directions.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 01:25:04 am »
+1
Some facts to consider which you may be unaware of:

- the ashwood pike has 2 attack directions - like the awlpike
- the ashwood pike cannot be used with a shield, unlike the awlpike

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 12:54:29 pm »
What about turning the ashwood pike into a shorter version of the pike ? 1 attack direction, but speed increased to 95 or more to compensate.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 01:38:28 pm »
The price, it is a low tier weapon. Dunno why you can't sheath or use it with a shield, though. Would look great on "hoplite" chars.