Author Topic: Why is everything getting nerfed except polearm spammers ?  (Read 8344 times)

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Why is everything getting nerfed except polearm spammers ?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 10:22:08 pm »
Nothing beats the mighty 2h LOLSTAB. It's been imba before the patch, now it's even more ridiculous with the new animation+easier to use.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 10:23:14 pm »
Nothing beats the mighty 2h LOLSTAB. It's been imba before the patch, now it's even more ridiculous with the new animation+easier to use.

True
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 11:15:19 pm »
The flamberge is now a bad weapon and the only ones who use it are people who like that style. I don't use one, it's far too slow. It also tends to do lots of teamkills so in the end it doesn't really help winning a round.

Some polearm spammers are pretty crazy and i think making the polearms unbalanced will help alot, as will upping the requirements (this suggestion was made in another thread). That would balance them without nerfing them. I would also support upping the requirements for the barmace and all crush through weapons, so no one can spam them.

Spammers don't care about unbalanced. The only thing that does is make feints & blocks harder.
About the same with the barmace, if you use it with only 13str it's not very problematic. Problem lies in the high weapon speed, which makes it practically a normal sword with that you can occasionally or often blockcrush, even at str18.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 12:28:11 am »
Spammers don't care about unbalanced. The only thing that does is make feints & blocks harder.
About the same with the barmace, if you use it with only 13str it's not very problematic. Problem lies in the high weapon speed, which makes it practically a normal sword with that you can occasionally or often blockcrush, even at str18.

No if you miss with an unbalanced weapon, you get an additional delay, thus negating spam. You can see the animation continuing for another second or so.

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 03:08:10 pm »

Well, yes its effective, no it's not more ridiculous, its the same.
But yes its really easier to use, prepatch you needed timing or good clicking to catch the moment the thrust finished.
Now you can see it, what makes the RATATATATATATATA stab machine gun very easy.
You're polearm aren't you? Buy an awlpike :P
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 03:40:37 pm »
Well, yes its effective, no it's not more ridiculous, its the same.
But yes its really easier to use, prepatch you needed timing or good clicking to catch the moment the thrust finished.
Now you can see it, what makes the RATATATATATATATA stab machine gun very easy.
You're polearm aren't you? Buy an awlpike :P
I have a 2hander character and a 1hander+shield aswell =).

Offline Ozwan

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 03:49:25 pm »

Yup.

Still though knockdown with 94 sp long weapon > lolstab.  :lol:
In real life, when people insult me (and it happens very rare, cos I am a big guy), I often punch them in the face.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 11:01:05 am »
The problem with the polearms is their stun, once you get hit you can't hit back and unless you block twice you're dead.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 06:48:52 pm »
The problem with the polearms is their stun, once you get hit you can't hit back and unless you block twice you're dead.

I noticed that only recently, the stun is very annoying indeed. I'm not sure it's a permastun though, usually there's some arrow hitting between 2 polearm hits when i'm unable to block at all.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 07:46:26 pm »
When stunned you can't attack, you can only block (if you press left-click nothing happens).

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 08:00:18 pm »
Well for the most part, polearms dont bother me too much. what confuses me is that strength build tin cans can out spam me using elegant poleaxe or bec-de-corbin. it really bothers me when i have to struggle to land a hit with my 24 agil 172wpf and less than 10 weight sword and board character. i even experimented running around with only a peasant shirt, felt hat, steel buckler and a khyber knife... and i still could not keep up with the speed of polearms being used by guys with 9-15 agil. i guess the issue is the animations, for some reason the time from clicking attack to the time the blow lands, is shorter on big angry polearms than it is on crazy little knives. i dont expect to be able to counter everyone, but i think its a little rough when i have to hit someone about 5-6 times, whereas they 1 shot me... and they have the speed advantage too... oh and half my blows will bounce which usually leaves me pretty open.

regardless of realism (im sure most people have agreed that balance is more important than realism) i would be interested in seeing how things looked if some of the polearms were unbalanced. I also support Kalams idea of upping strength requirments on a lot of polearms/2handers (though some polearms dont seem to require any agility to be dangerously fast). or perhaps take another look at how armour effects wpf and speed. it seems that the run speed difference in heavy armour is noticeable, but the swing speed difference is very minor.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 11:59:12 pm »
I'm all for letting specialized characters be good at one thing, be it polearm spam or heavy hits or throwing, but what is pretty unbalanced is hybrid characters who are good at 2 things at once.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 12:17:50 am »
Stop complaining, how do you think Poleaxe spammers feel about an agi Shield with Steel pick 2 shotting them to death after facehug? Or the annoying Projectiles flying everywhere eating up our HP?  Or the Bar Mace that crushthrough our manual block? Just get better at the game.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 12:40:58 am »
but what is pretty unbalanced is hybrid characters who are good at 2 things at once.

This is actually far closer to reality than someone that learned how to use a 2h'd sword but can't for the life of him figure out how to use a 1h'd sword, or vice versa.

Do you know how to swing a baseball bat?  How about throw the ball?  Or are you specialized to only do one thing at a time:  Swing or throw?
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 12:59:29 am »
This is actually far closer to reality than someone that learned how to use a 2h'd sword but can't for the life of him figure out how to use a 1h'd sword, or vice versa.

Do you know how to swing a baseball bat?  How about throw the ball?  Or are you specialized to only do one thing at a time:  Swing or throw?

Stop these american sport references, in soccer players learn one role and do that for their whole life, it's attack/center/defense/goalkeeper and even the side left/right/center will define a soccer player. Also why do you bring up sports when i say something pretty well known about role playing games, where obviously you can specialize or be a hybrid, but if the hybrid is good at multiple things, specialized characters make no sense. Just as crushtrough really works only on str builds (and if you think some balanced or agi character can use a crushtrough weapon with success, by all means test it and nerf it), polearm spam should work on polearm agi characters and not on archers or hybrid archer/melee which should do ok at both, but be at an disadvantage when being engaged in melee by a pure melee character. If this doesn't make sense to you, well idk, make more sport examples. Like american football, or golf ? Or maybe basketball ?