Author Topic: Optimal Power Strike?  (Read 7823 times)

Offline _Vandal_

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Vandal
Re: Optimal Power Strike?
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2011, 07:37:07 pm »
People complain they don't one or two shot others, then they go str and then complain they are getting ganked all the time.

IMO now with the armor changes, bounces are way less likely to happen thus PS got nerfed a lot. People consider str to be better than agi (over 15/15) because they are used to play rhino tanks that can't disengage. Playing an agi character is totally different from playing an str character, but if people don't know that and don't change the way they play, it's clear str is better for them.

The main thing with high agi is the ability to disengage fights and control a very large zone around you. Projectile dodging is also easier. Furthermore, duelling with an agi oriented character requires another approach. I'd say agi is better for defensive, mentally strong duellers that block very well and will remain calm and constant if the duel becomes long. Str is better for aggressive duellers, with decent blocking but very fast and sophisticated attack shemes. Making elaborate holds/feints/chamberblocks requires more error tolerance from the char and equipment than simply blocking and attacking for hours.

There are other things that differ between str and agi characters. In fact almost everything changes at least slightly, but you got my point already.
Thats a great way of putting it!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2011, 08:17:49 pm »
WM does BARELY anything for swing speed, especially if you're using a fast weapon. It also doesn't do anything for block speed. You can block as fast as you can hit the button.

first point:
from 1wpf to 150wpf there is a 15% boost to swing speed and damage. (faster animation, faster hit speed, physics applies)

second point:

must be weird. when i just retire and use the wooden sword with 30ish wpf, the block animation is like slowmotion (and the wooden sword is really light) but when i start getting 100+ wpf block animation are really fast. maybe is just me..

WM has nothing to do with blockspeed, bro.

weapon master alone don't do nothing besides giving you WPP to spend.
ok i hope to be clear this time:

weapon master (WM) has nothing to do with block speed. BUT since WEAPON MASTER give WEAPON PROFIENCY POINTS (WPP) to spend in WEAPON PROFIENCY (WPF), raising the numerical WEAPON PROFIENCY value, block animations will be FASTER

if you really deny that, or you just forgot how going from 1wpf to 140wpf improves your blocking speed (a lot more than swing speed)or i really don't get it.

things works like that.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2011, 08:37:16 pm »
first point:
from 1wpf to 150wpf there is a 15% boost to swing speed and damage. (faster animation, faster hit speed, physics applies)

second point:

must be weird. when i just retire and use the wooden sword with 30ish wpf, the block animation is like slowmotion (and the wooden sword is really light) but when i start getting 100+ wpf block animation are really fast. maybe is just me..

weapon master (WM) has nothing to do with block speed. BUT since WEAPON MASTER give WEAPON PROFIENCY POINTS (WPP) to spend in WEAPON PROFIENCY (WPF), raising the numerical WEAPON PROFIENCY value, block animations will be FASTER

if you really deny that, or you just forgot how going from 1wpf to 140wpf improves your blocking speed (a lot more than swing speed)or i really don't get it.

things works like that.

You always block at the same speed regardless of WPF. There are only 2 instances I have noticed that affect blocking. Using an unbalanced weapon or using a really slow weapon. Each of those also only affect the 1st block. After that, you are fine.

If WPF did anything to blocking then how come as a level 1 peasant with a stick I can block people all day long?

Also, 130 WPF will increase your swing speed by roughly .1 seconds. It does give you roughly 10 points of damage though. BEHOLD! A chart stolen from Walt.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2011, 08:41:29 pm »
first point:

second point:

things works like that.

And to think you're so confident too. "things work like that."
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2011, 08:51:57 pm »
from 1wpf to 150wpf there is a 15% boost to swing speed and damage.
corrected that for you. There is a speed increase, it is pretty small. Weapon speed matters more than WPF. At 100 WPF you are using the weapon as the stats list it.
There is roughly 1 weapon speed difference per ~20ish WPF over 100. Not very significant when it comes to battling in cRPG.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:55:27 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2011, 09:02:33 pm »
You always block at the same speed regardless of WPF. There are only 2 instances I have noticed that affect blocking. Using an unbalanced weapon or using a really slow weapon. Each of those also only affect the 1st block. After that, you are fine.

If WPF did anything to blocking then how come as a level 1 peasant with a stick I can block people all day long?

Also, 130 WPF will increase your swing speed by roughly .1 seconds. It does give you roughly 10 points of damage though. BEHOLD! A chart stolen from Walt.

(click to show/hide)

looking the 98 speed spear, with a swing speed of 1.1 seconds at 0 wpf and 1.0 seconds at 140wpf, there is a 0.1 seconds difference and is roughly 10%.. sorry i said from 1 to 150wpf 15%.. i should wrote 10%.. sorry if i messed numbers that much

corrected that for you. There is a speed increase, it is pretty small. Weapon speed matters more than WPF. At 100 WPF you are using the weapon as the stats list it.
There is roughly 1 weapon speed difference per ~20ish WPF over 100. Not very significant when it comes to battling in cRPG.

10% from 1 to 140 is not important? 0.1 seconds in a second speed swing? is the same difference between 50ms ping and 150ms... if you say is not worth.. well... GG  :wink:

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2011, 09:05:47 pm »
wpf does give a bit of damage.
At 1 wpf you are doing 85% normal damage, at 100 wpf you are doing 100% and at 200 wpf you are doing 115%. It is kinda a decent deal as the average fighter would get the equivalent of a free PS bonus out of it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:07:49 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2011, 09:11:38 pm »
wpf does give a bit of damage.
At 1 wpf you are doing 85% normal damage, at 100 wpf you are doing 100% and at 200 wpf you are doing 115%. It is kinda a decent deal as the average fighter would get the equivalent of a free PS bonus out of it.

don't know why i still block better with 140wpf than 1.

And to think you're so confident too. "things work like that."

well please read instead of trolling me  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:12:51 pm by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2011, 10:41:58 pm »
Please get your facts straight. Go ask a dev or something. You're wrong about WPF affecting block speed.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2011, 11:07:12 pm »
Please get your facts straight. Go ask a dev or something. You're wrong about WPF affecting block speed.

why i do need to ask if i noticed it with my own eyes? it's like asking if the sun is bright.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2011, 11:16:30 pm »
It's also like asking if the pink elephant you see in a dream is real at the moment of having it. Your senses are not infallible, but facts about game mechanics from the devs who implemented them should be....

Good stuff in this thread with plenty of helpful info, thanks all.  :)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2011, 11:17:09 pm »
why i do need to ask if i noticed it with my own eyes? it's like asking if the sun is bright.

There is medication for hallucination. Help is near.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2011, 11:21:34 pm »
I thought this was a discussion about powerstrike? .S

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2011, 12:08:14 am »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2011, 01:27:43 am »
I thought this was a discussion about powerstrike? .S

yes. that's why i added some sauce to the receipt.

basically melee builds are a compromise between STR (powerstrike, ironflesh) and AGI (ath, WM. since christo is a polearm footman, i'll not consider shield and riding).

so back again in topic, IMHO the best compromise for easy damage AND decent speed to at least reach fulltime agi backpedallers is 24/15 at level 30. As over 5 weapon master, the wpf gain is almost worthless. the only advantage of higher AGI is the mobility. (and shouldn't be understimated).

i have an awlpike spammer alt 13/27 4ps 9ath 9wm. there 4ps is more than enough to never glance and can easly stunlock with multiple thrusts. is funny and fast but with only 4ps takes forever to kill an armored STR foe with a long axe (40 cut). instead usually needs from 3 to 6 awlpike thrusts to kill anybody.

so. pierce is really good to not glance with lowish PS polearm stunlocker builds.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:29:37 am by Corrado_Decimo »