Author Topic: Op Xbows!  (Read 15283 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Op Xbows!
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2011, 07:19:20 pm »
+3
1. Put some skills into shield.
2. Buy a shield
3. ????
4. Profit.

You do know that it's pretty easy to shoot around shields and some xbows can fire through shields at close range, right?

The devs really seem to have a hard-on for xbows, so I doubt they'll ever be changed. However, they desperately need some type of investment to be useful. That way, only dedicated xbowers really benefit from them instead of being the bullshit shotgun weapon that they are now. So, just make them terribly inaccurate and horrendously slow without a WPF investment. Problem solved.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline B4dg3r

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ghillie_Balestriere_of_Haven
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2011, 09:27:34 pm »
+2
Ok, maybe I'm biased as a dedicated xbowman, however, I don't feel an xbow nerf is the answer here.  I agree with those who posted here and suggest either a minimum wpf requirement for xbows or greatly reduced accuracy for low wpf (1-30?) xbow users to discourage them being used so often and so effectively as a sidearm. 

The idea of making xbows have a higher str requirement and thus destroying the current 15/24 build most dedicated xbowmen use doesn't seem like a good idea.  Furthermore, the logic used in deciding that dedicated xbowmen should be less proficient in melee because dedicated archers are is flawed, if for no other reason that this:  You can kite and shoot people chasing you with a bow which makes melee slightly less important.  As an xbowman, an arbalest user anyways, there is no kiting once an enemy gets within 30 yards or so.  At that point you pray that your shot kills him, otherwise

1) You switch to melee and have a go, or 
2) You run for a very, very long time and hope he loses interest in you. 

A melee nerf for dedicated xbow builds would result in option 2 happening much more often.  Imo, leave dedicated xbow builds alone, make 1wpf sidearm xbows less viable and give bows/archers a much needed buff (projectile speed/dmg increase for sure).

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2011, 09:29:34 pm »
Yes please, increasing the wpf curve so anything less then 100 is rubbish would be great. I wonder if it is possible to code in wpf minimums, that would be nice.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2011, 09:33:13 pm »
I dont think xbows are that op, sure it sucks getting hit and loosing like 70% early battle, but with a shield i can usually dodge it. Xbows have a slow reload but high damage, I think it is pretty balanced.
With a decent amount of Ironflesh you will survive a MW arbalest shot, so either that or a shield. Dont really have to nerf it, people just need to be able to counter them.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:28:44 pm by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2011, 10:43:57 am »
Yes please, increasing the wpf curve so anything less then 100 is rubbish would be great. I wonder if it is possible to code in wpf minimums, that would be nice.

Offline Razzen

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Razzen
  • IRC nick: Razzen
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2011, 11:10:18 am »
I think arbalest is probably fine.  It is very rare anything survives 2 hits, it would have to have been a long distance shot one of those or mega str builds in plate.   But that weapon reloads so goddamn slow it depends on 1-2 shotting most players.  Change that to 2-3 shotting and I guarantee usage would drop like a rock (which is a bad thing since it's for dedicated xbowmen).

I think if you start with leaving the arbalest as is and work your way down that might be the better approach to balancing.  With the recent changes to cut damage the xbow pierce is invaluable when compared to most of the other bows (long bow as exception.. hmm funny how that bow has exploded in popularity eh?). 

Maybe that means tweaking wpf for xbows; have base 1wpf xbow reticle be awful but make higher wpf levels reduce it back to how it is now.  Maybe that means reducing pierce damage a bit for the lower xbows, I don't know.
Actually I never get 1 shots with my arbalest on my alt, not even on light armored archers, i pretty much only 1-shot people who have already been damaged or if its a headshot. I think the people 1 shotting must have heirloomed steel bolts or arbalest.

Offline polkafranzi

• Marshall
  • Renown: 814
  • Infamy: 276
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • pronouns: Nick/her
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fun clan - Burg Krems, join with main or alt!
  • Game nicks: Adelheid, Wulfing, Hildebrand, Vulferam, Sepp, Pippa (r.i.p), Minjy
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2011, 11:38:58 am »
(click to show/hide)

look at his face, don't let a retard use something that's OP, like most cRPG xbowers.

2024: selling my thirty odd +3 items for rl money, don't think i need them anymore tbh. pm me

Offline Fasader

• Vain onion-eyed pigeon egg
  • Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • Item unbalancer
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fasader, Mlatimir, Fasadripac, Modnar
  • IRC nick: Fasader
« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2011, 03:28:15 am »
+1
Actually I never get 1 shots with my arbalest on my alt, not even on light armored archers, i pretty much only 1-shot people who have already been damaged or if its a headshot. I think the people 1 shotting must have heirloomed steel bolts or arbalest.

bullshit, arbalests clearly 1-shot ironclad 13IF bastards let alone archers.
21:33:22 BaldRider: Poem submission: okiN is fat, chadz is blue, Fasader is pretty sexy, but not you.

https://soundcloud.com/shitfactory/father-and-panos

Offline Varyag

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Merc_Varyag_
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2011, 03:52:50 am »
Dedicated  MW arbalester and MW Steel botls here. For me 1shotting people is extremely rare, unless it is a headshot or shot from the way higher altitude, where bolt has significantly higher speed.

In my opninon, xbows (eespecially arbalests) don't need nerf, they are slow as hell to reload, and if you miss, you won't have second shot, which is balancing their high damage

Offline marco1391

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Legio_Marco1691
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2011, 01:01:15 pm »
imo the sistem could be pretty simple: nerf the starting accuracy and let wpf count less at the start and more at the end of the value
for exemple wpf until 84 count as 0.5 effective wpf and wpf past 88 count as 1.5 effective wpf
this would mean that an 84 wpf xbower would be pretty useless with 42 effective wpf and the reduced accuracy for low wpf counter
however a 140 wpf would mean 42+56*1.5=126 effective wpf
150 wpf would mean 141 effective wpf
160 would mean 156 effective wpf
170 would mean 170 effective wpf(point where it would be exactly the same)
180 would mean 186 effective wpf
and so on
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:03:05 pm by marco1391 »

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »

This is being suggested for a months, countless of patches went through and it never happened. So i have little hope for it ever being implemented.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2011, 11:08:45 pm »
wpf requirements should be raised. I can take an Arbalest in a siege in strat and still get a good number of kills with it. The crosshairs are fairly close with 0 wpf.

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DenBitre_Sir_Agor
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2011, 02:37:40 pm »
It shoud not be raised, xbow shoud have their own skill like power draw to use it, so not any 1 can take it, because right now im dedicated xbow man with 172 wpf and it  is so crappy differense between 150 (( but this 22 expensive wpf i can spend in some melee to hit faster, so if you raise it, it wood be shit accuracy.
shooting at people from a reachable place as last man standing is not delaying. Even if you're on the other side of the map.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2011, 06:53:43 pm »
+1
It shoud not be raised, xbow shoud have their own skill like power draw to use it, so not any 1 can take it, because right now im dedicated xbow man with 172 wpf and it  is so crappy differense between 150 (( but this 22 expensive wpf i can spend in some melee to hit faster, so if you raise it, it wood be shit accuracy.

I believe it's possible for the wpf requirements to be shifted. For example, 0-80 wpf is wide as hell and only shows a minor improvement. Anything over 80 wpf however begins to show much more of an improvement. That would benefit dedicated xbowmen, but punish all those running around with very little wpf. I think they did this with horse archery?