Author Topic: Polearms - which ones can't side swing?  (Read 4732 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Polearms - which ones can't side swing?
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:11:59 pm »
Ok so my last weapon that I need to build is a polearm for when I'm on foot.  These are my build stats (when I hit 31 I plan on putting the last skill into riding, for 6 riding).
(click to show/hide)

I have a 1h + shield that I use when I'm on horseback (I like having the shield w/ my heavy lance), but there are times when I want to join the infantry ranks and pull out a decent polearm for use as a footman.  I want a polearm that can side swing as well as overhead and stab.  I'm not looking for a spear or pike type of weapon, more of a long axe type similar to a elegant poleaxe or long bardiche. 

Two questions for anyone that wants to help me: 

• Which polearms that I have listed can't be swung sideways?
  • Which polearms do you think are the most cost effective

Polearm's list: 

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Polearms - which ones can't side swing?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:18:16 pm »
Pike
Long Spear
Battle Fork
Swiss Halberd
English Bill
Long Awlpike

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 07:36:38 pm »
Thanks digglez, for the top end polearms that are "axe like" I thought it was only the swiss halberd that wouldn't swing sideways. 

I'm thinking for the cost, the Long Bardiche seems like it would be a pretty good option, 89 speed is pretty high up there (compared to 91 or 92 for the quicker long poleaxes).  And 140 reach is decent.  Seems like it's a pretty well rounded weapon for only a little over 6k purchase price (I'm more worried about upkeep costs than purchase price).

Also, the long hafted spiked mace looks like it might be nice.  I'm assuming I won't be able to knock people down like the 2h great maul (or w/e it's called these days).  But I'm thinking I would still be able to knock some people down with it who are blocking.  I'm skeptical though because I only have 6 iron flesh, 18 str and 6 power strike, I don't know if that would be enough to knock people down who are blocking with a shield or manually blocking.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:38:23 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 07:57:00 pm »
Pike
Long Spear
Battle Fork
Swiss Halberd
English Bill
Long Awlpike

You forgot about the lance, heavy lance and awlpike and I'm not sure the double-sided lance can swing sideways.

About which you should choose, all of the last screenshot are good choices. But I would advice going for the longest ones as you already have a 1h (short weapon). The great long bardiche is very long and hard-hitting, has the bonus against shields but is somewhat slow. If you choose the long hafted spiked dildo, or it's knobbed counterpart, be sure to note that you don't get crushthrough, only knockdown. Which means that succesfull hits (you inflict damage) have a chance to knock the opponent down. That usually means you get a free hit. But blocks work normally against those weapons.

The iron staff is also good. It will sadly make you look like a gimmick character (although people will underestimate you)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:09:16 pm »
You forgot about the lance, heavy lance and awlpike and I'm not sure the double-sided lance can swing sideways.

About which you should choose, all of the last screenshot are good choices. But I would advice going for the longest ones as you already have a 1h (short weapon). The great long bardiche is very long and hard-hitting, has the bonus against shields but is somewhat slow. If you choose the long hafted spiked dildo, or it's knobbed counterpart, be sure to note that you don't get crushthrough, only knockdown. Which means that succesfull hits (you inflict damage) have a chance to knock the opponent down. That usually means you get a free hit. But blocks work normally against those weapons.

The iron staff is also good. It will sadly make you look like a gimmick character (although people will underestimate you)

Thank you, crush through was what I was thinking of.  I already have an iron staff, but I want more damage, reach and shield breaking abilities.  I like having knockdown, but it's not nearly as good as crush through.  And I'd rather have the extra damage inflicted than the chance to knock someone down.  Thanks for clarifying.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 08:15:12 pm »
Then you should really try the poleaxes, GLA and GLB. The damage, weight (for blockstunning shieldless 1h), reach and shieldbreaking bonus are very handy in group fights aswell as in duels.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 08:28:27 pm »
Well I was thinking the long war axe might be better than the Great Long Axe because you have 1 more speed (and only giving up 3 reach and 1 less damage).  The price is almost 1/4 less as well (which is just a bonus, I think if they were the same price the long war axe has is better because of the 1 more speed). 

I like the great bardiche better than the great long bardiche as well.  It has 2 more speed (89 vs 87), for 15 less reach (still 140 for the great bardiche), and only 1 less damage.  I'd rather have the 2 extra speed, than the 15 reach (87 is getting pretty slow for weapon speed).  Also, the great bardiche is a little less than  1/2 the cost of the great long bardiche.

In my mind the Long War Axe and the Great Bardiche would be the best weapons for the money (more speed than their longer counter-parts).  I'm just wondering if the great long axe's length is significantly less than the great bardiche, or if I would notice a big difference (123 vs 140 reach)

I also like the balanced stats of the poleaxe, german poleaxe, and elegant poleaxe...so hard for me to make up my decision, but I think it's between the long war axe and great bardiche.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:30:17 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline hotcobbler

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus or a gun? How about both son?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Featherbottom
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:11:06 pm »
Hey Huesby, try out the english bill in teamfights. The overhead on it is almost always an instant killer, and it has both attacks as piercing.
Damn right I drink beer sideways.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 07:27:52 am »
Well I was thinking the long war axe might be better than the Great Long Axe because you have 1 more speed (and only giving up 3 reach and 1 less damage).  The price is almost 1/4 less as well (which is just a bonus, I think if they were the same price the long war axe has is better because of the 1 more speed). 

You wont feel the -1 speed, however even 1 or 2 reach can be decisive.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 12:49:57 pm »
I don't know from where you are, but what I will say applies to EU servers (the overall population has less str and more agi, so more ath than in NA, resulting in weapon reaches being more important, among other differences).

I forgot to mention that the german poleaxe isn't that good, at least in terms of popularity. Short weapons like that have to be faster in order to be good (like the elegant poleaxe or bec).

The long war axe is a good and cheap alternative but 1 damage and 3 reach points are more important than only 1 speed with weapons that long (for example you can outreach elegant poleaxes with a GLA if you have more ath, however it's way more difficult with a long war axe).

The great bardiche is a 2h weapon, I guess you meant the long bardiche. Again, played accordingly 15 reach are going to win fights more often than 2 speed. At 89 speed the weapon is slow anyway.

Those two are good choices if you really want to save up money, but honestly the main power of polearms are their reach which make them very good group fight weapons. In terms of actual reach (with the animations), the long war axe isn't much longer than a long 1h.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 05:49:09 pm »
I went with the long bardiche.  For the money it seems like a very balanced weapon.  I still wanted to have as much speed as possible and still keep as much reach.  I'm not getting as much speed as the elegant poleaxe, but I have 1 less reach, and the same speed (and more damage) than the poleaxe which costs over twice as much. 

I also agree that polearms (poleaxes in particular) are more group weapons, but the reason I wanted decent speed and was willing to give up a little range for it, was that in 1v1 situations against 2h'ers I need speed over distance.  One or two blocks from a 2h and even with the best footwork I have, I still only have 5 athletics and am mainly cavalry oriented, so they will be able to close the gap.

No matter how much I try to distance myself, the best fighters are going to be able to block and close the gap.  I think the long bardiche is a great weapon for the price, and seems pretty well balanced between speed and reach.

Regardless, thanks for everyone's opinion and information.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 06:03:59 pm »
I went with the long bardiche.  For the money it seems like a very balanced weapon.  I still wanted to have as much speed as possible and still keep as much reach.  I'm not getting as much speed as the elegant poleaxe, but I have 1 less reach, and the same speed (and more damage) than the poleaxe which costs over twice as much. 

I also agree that polearms (poleaxes in particular) are more group weapons, but the reason I wanted decent speed and was willing to give up a little range for it, was that in 1v1 situations against 2h'ers I need speed over distance.  One or two blocks from a 2h and even with the best footwork I have, I still only have 5 athletics and am mainly cavalry oriented, so they will be able to close the gap.

No matter how much I try to distance myself, the best fighters are going to be able to block and close the gap.  I think the long bardiche is a great weapon for the price, and seems pretty well balanced between speed and reach.

Regardless, thanks for everyone's opinion and information.

Even if you don't have that much ath, a long weapon can atleast prevent the enemy from playing range games with you.

Anyway you seem happy with the long bardiche. If you like it it's probably the best for you.

Offline Shpongled

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • Totally shpongled, mate...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Shpongled, Merc_Shpongebob_Tightpantsh, Merc_Shpongtastic
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 06:55:07 pm »
+1
I highly recommend you ditch the long bardiche for the poleaxe (regular). That it is balanced and has an amazing thrust really is worth the money.

"I gotta turn down my merc application as i was in a pub and would be of no use to you. Maybe it's good for you in the end, although i was motivated to see the first merc's defeat ever in strategus."
 --- Beauchamp

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 07:01:38 pm »
I highly recommend you ditch the long bardiche for the poleaxe (regular). That it is balanced and has an amazing thrust really is worth the money.

The Long Bardiche is not unbalanced. It's a way cheaper poleaxe that trades thrust damage for 13% more swing damage. So it comes down to playstyle; if you like stabbing, go poleaxe. If you prefer overheads to thrusts (higher chance to one-hit, less chance to teamhit), then go Long Bardiche.

I use a Mighty Great Long Bardiche, and I currently have it on the market to trade for a Mighty Long Bardiche, so that should tell you something about how awesome the Long Bardiche is. The unbalanced stat of the GLB means I pretty much lose any duel where my first swing is blocked (since unbalanced means you can't counter-attack after blocking before your opponent's next hit lands). I didn't figure this out until I'd already loomed the GLB twice (everyone always said unbalanced only affects feinting, which isn't true).

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 07:44:58 pm »

+1 Billion have it and its a fucking amazing weapon.