Author Topic: Long spears aka pikes  (Read 32396 times)

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
Re: Long spears aka pikes
« Reply #360 on: September 30, 2011, 06:30:42 am »
Again the same point. Why only pikes? A polearm with heavy tip should all then be unbalanced surely?
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline PikeDan

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro Fide, pro utilitate hominum
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Pikedan
« Reply #361 on: September 30, 2011, 09:30:28 am »
Again the same point. Why only pikes? A polearm with heavy tip should all then be unbalanced surely?
Length. A 155 length Long Hafted Blade will be hard and unwieldy, but I would assume a 300 length pike would be harder to wield around based on the sheer length of the weapon.

And, just a thing to keep in mind, the pikes in CRPG are fairly small, compared to pikes used in armies in the real world, assuming 300 length would be say, 3 meters, though I'm unsure of how the length measurements are scaled.

I'm not saying that I'm right, of course, I'm simply trying to verbalize my view on the subject. What the devs do to the weapons means very little to me, as I'm over the whole whinefest of the game's balance issues. If people were to take my suggestions in mind, then that'd be cool, if they don't, I don't really care.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is our oath.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #362 on: September 30, 2011, 10:24:26 am »
IMO, the strength of the pike isn't in dehorsing cav, it's in keeping cav away from the line to start with, what cav outside of stupid ones would charge an aware pikeman, after all?

Pretend to be unaware. I've killed tons of cav by the use of the view outfit button. :wink:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline PikeDan

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 30, 2011, 12:10:07 pm »
Pretend to be unaware. I've killed tons of cav by the use of the view outfit button. :wink:
As have I, but I tend to run with the pack, and if I use the View Outfit button for too long, I end up meeting an entire line of people who want to hurt me. Perhaps it's just how I approach being a pikeman, lol.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is our oath.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 992
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 30, 2011, 04:48:33 pm »
You... you really think feinting is the problem? Or do you think unbalanced tag actually prevents feinting? Both? [Surprise: Both are wrong]

Unbalanced tag would really just cause a huge additional stun to the pike users after you block them. They wouldn't be able to block your return swing. Pretty easy to see the problem there. You want pikemen to not be able to defend themselves, again.

Imho, problem with pikes, spears and lances of all kinds is speed. Even that silly pitchfork can outspam almost everyone. Stab is too fast and that's why awlpike + shield is really strong build these days.

I would like to see animation of those weapons tweaker or speed lowered, without making them unbalanced, not able to block, overhead blah blah blah...

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 30, 2011, 04:53:36 pm »
wat

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #366 on: September 30, 2011, 05:09:53 pm »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 30, 2011, 05:12:27 pm »
my thoughts exactly

it's just because you use a longspear yourself you won't admit that they move at speed of light!!1
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 30, 2011, 05:20:28 pm »
it's just because you use a longspear yourself you won't admit that they move at speed of light!!1

Xant... he works for the pope, you know what they can do to you if you call him out? Bad stuff, bad stuff will happen to you. And if you have a 12 year old son about to enlist for the catholic church choir :shock: you better watch your words!

Offline hippy_with_a_scimi

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Balbasaur
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Balbaroth since the dawn of times
« Reply #369 on: September 30, 2011, 09:30:17 pm »
Imho, problem with pikes, spears and lances of all kinds is speed. Even that silly pitchfork can outspam almost everyone. Stab is too fast and that's why awlpike + shield is really strong build these days.

I would like to see animation of those weapons tweaker or speed lowered, without making them unbalanced, not able to block, overhead blah blah blah...

i agree with leshma !

the stab with turning is ultra fast , i suggest you go see rhyden fight with his mw spear , ugh he has the turning to perfection , ive never seen anyone who is faster on spear , not even Waltf4

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #370 on: October 01, 2011, 06:55:20 am »
+1

Ryden is a freak of nature. he plays with 100 ping, blocks chambers, acts like nothing is a big deal while somehow managing to do some bs spin with whatever weapon he has into you. I don't even know how he manages to do damage sometimes, but he does.

But again, weapon speed isn't even the thing. Pretty sure he is an 8th grader with turning his attacks and kicking his opponents down to a science.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #371 on: October 01, 2011, 09:23:56 am »
Hey man, I think he's in high school now.  Let's throw pennies at him.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline PikeDan

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 02, 2011, 01:35:31 am »
Hey man, I think he's in high school now.  Let's throw pennies at him.
I'm down.

Offline Kharn

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • Game nicks: Kharn, Oneshot_Mcgee, Flash
  • IRC nick: Kharn
« Reply #373 on: February 17, 2012, 01:06:46 am »
You... you really think feinting is the problem? Or do you think unbalanced tag actually prevents feinting? Both? [Surprise: Both are wrong]

Unbalanced tag would really just cause a huge additional stun to the pike users after you block them. They wouldn't be able to block your return swing. Pretty easy to see the problem there. You want pikemen to not be able to defend themselves, again.

The stun from a weapon is only based on the weight difference between your weapon and the opponents. If yours weighs more, they get stunned when blocking you. Unbalanced does not do this.  I have read up on this thoroughly.
Unbalanced stops you from canceling an attack once it has started the swing, so yes it stops feinting.

You can look either of these up in the Taleworlds forums.
If your name is on either of these 2 lists: http://goo.gl/0SEqf -- http://goo.gl/I3SFf
And you want to be on youtube dueling famous fighters. Add imkharn to steam.
To see existing videos go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/imkharn

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #374 on: February 17, 2012, 02:29:50 am »
The stun from a weapon is only based on the weight difference between your weapon and the opponents. If yours weighs more, they get stunned when blocking you. Unbalanced does not do this.  I have read up on this thoroughly.
Unbalanced stops you from canceling an attack once it has started the swing, so yes it stops feinting.

You can look either of these up in the Taleworlds forums.
You're wrong.
It additionally lengthens recover durations (stun lengths).
You can feint just fine, it only messes up some very specific feint timings, and hardly at that.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:31:04 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.