Author Topic: Long spears aka pikes  (Read 32380 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Long spears aka pikes
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2011, 09:59:01 pm »
not in this one at least. bamboo spear is 8 to 9 feet though.
But I read it in a book. Like, anime and stuff! Really canon.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2011, 10:04:23 pm »
14 foot / a shield? 8 to 10 feet being standard shield&spear length, 10 being a little cumbersome for weaker people. 12 being hard to use but doable for some.  14 foot with a shield? The only people I can imagine seeing do that are the people I see when at the gym, you know, the kind that look like they are smuggling watermelons in their shirt sleeves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonian_phalanx

Each phalangite carried as his primary weapon a sarissa, a double-pointed pike over 6 m (18 ft) in length. Before a battle the sarissa were carried in two pieces and then slid together when they were being used. At close range such large weapons were of little use, but an intact phalanx could easily keep its enemies at a distance; the weapons of the first five rows of men all projected beyond the front of the formation, so that there were more spearpoints than available targets at any given time. The secondary weapon was a shortsword.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:05:26 pm by Thucydides »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2011, 10:06:12 pm »
But I read it in a book. Like, anime and stuff! Really canon.

i read something called history

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2011, 10:14:28 pm »
They had their shields strapped to their arms, that's how.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2011, 10:18:47 pm »
They had their shields strapped to their arms, that's how.

supported by their neck and body, which is not uncommon in hellenistic warfare. Hoplites also had the same thing once their spears were lengthened during the Iphicrates reforms in Athens.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2011, 11:19:57 pm »
"The sheer bulk and size of the spear required the soldiers to wield the spear with both hands, allowing them to carry only a 24 inch shield (pelta) suspended from the neck to cover the left shoulder."
Exactly my point still stands. They used those with both hands, not one hand & one with a shield.

Read history, but don't just skim the fighting style. There is a big difference between a 10 foot spear with a punch shield, a 12 foot spear with arm straps, and a 15+ foot spear that is used with 2 hands.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:30:40 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2011, 11:50:10 pm »
"The sheer bulk and size of the spear required the soldiers to wield the spear with both hands, allowing them to carry only a 24 inch shield (pelta) suspended from the neck to cover the left shoulder."
Exactly my point still stands. They used those with both hands, not one hand & one with a shield.

Read history, but don't just skim the fighting style. There is a big difference between a 10 foot spear with a punch shield, a 12 foot spear with arm straps, and a 15+ foot spear that is used with 2 hands.

did i say 1 hand one shield? no i said you can use pikes WITH A SHIELD.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2011, 12:14:15 am »
did i say 1 hand one shield? no i said you can use pikes WITH A SHIELD.
Body shields are completely different from what we refer to as shields, and function completely differently. They are there to augment armor in a specific way to close out a glaring weakness.
Whether they be a back-shield, side-shield or otherwise. The macedonian phalanx has a side shield hung from the neck covering the left shoulder as it is the bulk of the forward facing mass and thus the vulnerable point to incoming projectiles. 

They are accessory armor, not a traditional shield. It is something completely different.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:18:08 am by Marathon »
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2011, 12:20:50 am »
Body shields are completely different from what we refer to as shields, and function completely differently. They are there to augment armor in a specific way to close out a glaring weakness.
Whether they be a back-shield, side-shield or otherwise. The macedonian phalanx has a side shield hung from the neck covering the left shoulder as it is the bulk of the forward facing mass and thus the vulnerable point to incoming projectiles.

except that once they closed in, they can convert to a sword and shield fighting style. Which is why they had xiphos.  Even hoplites had shoulderstraps for their aspis, and forearm grips. Using a shield to block arrows is pretty much the reason for a shield, i don't see the point you're making right now

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2011, 12:28:25 am »
I would really like to see someone jump in the air with a pike, spin twice, and successfully stab a target three feet away from them.

Would be impressive.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2011, 12:29:23 am »
+1
I would really like to see someone jump in the air with a pike, spin twice, and successfully stab a target three feet away from them.

Would be impressive.

i'd like to see anyone jump into the air and attack at the same time with any weapon

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2011, 12:29:49 am »
except that once they closed in, they can convert to a sword and shield fighting style. Which is why they had xiphos.  Even hoplites had shoulderstraps for their aspis, and forearm grips. Using a shield to block arrows is pretty much the reason for a shield, i don't see the point you're making right now
it is the same as having a shield on your back in game. it is not the same as using something with a shield.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2011, 12:31:03 am »
it is the same as having a shield on your back in game. it is not the same as using something with a shield.

but its not really, since you can still angle and move the shield to deflect arrows comming at your head.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2011, 12:32:28 am »
i'd like to see anyone jump into the air and attack at the same time with any weapon

It would be much easier to do with a weapon that isn't longer than your entire body + a good chunk.

In all honesty once you chamber an attack with the pike you should not be able to move. This would bring it in line with what it's intended purpose is which is to defend ground. That way you don't see people running around with instagib pikes chambered and jump spin stabbing in all directions. At least there would be the initial delay of chambering the attack first to allow infantry to react to the pike and that its not being given even more reach because of movement.

For the love of god remove the overhand attack, if it really is a support weapon than an overhand attack voids it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:39:15 am by Konrax »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2011, 12:38:17 am »
It would be much easier to do with a weapon that isn't longer than your entire body + a good chunk.

theres a reason why jump slashes arent taught in Martial Arts