Author Topic: Long spears aka pikes  (Read 32402 times)

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
Re: Long spears aka pikes
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2011, 09:19:31 pm »
Oh whopdedoo. My main enemy is long spears so fuck off.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2011, 09:35:43 pm »
Okay so to sum up this interaction, your argument was...?

"Longspears should keep their blocks just because". Maybe you are right, but why not explain?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2011, 09:54:05 pm »

"Longspears should keep their blocks just because". Maybe you are right, but why not explain?
How is this idea even feasible? I've already made posts, I'm not going to argue this any further.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2011, 10:00:53 pm »
+1

OK, here is my argument:
When fighting a group of people I can easily slip to the piker/long spear fella and give a quick hack, however they usually block... if this ability was removed, it would mean death on a stick in most situations, and it would be an extremely expensive weapon for the inability to block or defend against cav, only poke at cav and pray to god that your unreliable team mates can screen properly and keep the pissed off guy from chopping your head off.

Just Like Becs are an NA problem, apparently this super scary OP Pike stuff is apparently mainly an EU problem, for here they are a right pain in the ass but not OP. Removing the ability to block is just... sad. No one in their right mind would use one, especially since you have to drop it to use another weapon.

One on One a pike is not scary compared to the Real weapons, and in groups well of course it rocks everything rocks in groups.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2011, 01:38:22 am »
I wouldnt mind my pikeman alt wouldnt be able to block.

As it is now everyone and their mother runs around with pikes on the battle server and making it a gang bang sim thx to no1 being able to fight back 1 pike and 2 of hes team mates so you either join the big gang bang like old cRPG or u get raped.

why not remove multi and add the old xp/gold system since cRPG is turning into a blob vs blob fest again.
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2011, 02:13:25 am »
+2
I'm all for teamwork. Cohesive movement in blobs with weapons assisting others? All for it.
Having overhead swings be broken as fuck? Nope.

Point being : Blocking is the last thing to change. Fix what is wrong, not break the class more. WTF.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2011, 03:06:07 am »
OK, here is my argument:
When fighting a group of people I can easily slip to the piker/long spear fella and give a quick hack, however they usually block... if this ability was removed, it would mean death on a stick in most situations, and it would be an extremely expensive weapon for the inability to block or defend against cav, only poke at cav and pray to god that your unreliable team mates can screen properly and keep the pissed off guy from chopping your head off.

Just Like Becs are an NA problem, apparently this super scary OP Pike stuff is apparently mainly an EU problem, for here they are a right pain in the ass but not OP. Removing the ability to block is just... sad. No one in their right mind would use one, especially since you have to drop it to use another weapon.

One on One a pike is not scary compared to the Real weapons, and in groups well of course it rocks everything rocks in groups.

3 archers vs 3 longpikers. Who wins? I don't care if they can block or not  :lol: EU should l2counter  :P
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BaldRider

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2011, 03:07:45 am »
3 archers vs 3 longpikers. Who wins? I don't care if they can block or not  :lol: EU should l2counter  :P

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #158 on: August 16, 2011, 03:12:45 am »
Please stop hurting me  :cry:

"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2011, 11:01:56 am »

Removing their ability to block would not really fix the problem with pikes. As they would still just be hiding behind their team mates, spin stabbing through them with their ghost heads.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2011, 07:17:56 pm »
Removing the blocks is not ideal, but I don't think the game can currently simulate the difficulty of blocking with such a cumbersome weapon, thus distorting the weapon function. I agree that removing or reducing the overhead swing would be an easier fix. Also I assume that if blocking was removed from the longspear, the gold price would be decreased.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2011, 07:42:11 pm »
Removing the blocks is not ideal, but I don't think the game can currently simulate the difficulty of blocking with such a cumbersome weapon, thus distorting the weapon function. I agree that removing or reducing the overhead swing would be an easier fix. Also I assume that if blocking was removed from the longspear, the gold price would be decreased.

in real life people can use a shield with a 14 foot pike, in real life there would not be a need to block because a pike wall would keep people from comming close, unlike how we can phase through weapons and people in CRPG.

Pike was op in real life, much more so than the long spear. The overhead is abusable yes, but its not as OP as everyone says it is.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2011, 09:53:50 pm »
in real life people can use a shield with a 14 foot pike, in real life there would not be a need to block because a pike wall would keep people from comming close, unlike how we can phase through weapons and people in CRPG.

Pike was op in real life, much more so than the long spear. The overhead is abusable yes, but its not as OP as everyone says it is.
14 foot / a shield? 8 to 10 feet being standard shield&spear length, 10 being a little cumbersome for weaker people. 12 being hard to use but doable for some.  14 foot with a shield? The only people I can imagine seeing do that are the people I see when at the gym, you know, the kind that look like they are smuggling watermelons in their shirt sleeves.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:55:39 pm by Marathon »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2011, 09:54:37 pm »
14 foot / a shield? 8 to 10 feet being standard shield&spear length, 10 being a little cumbersome for weaker people. 12 being hard to use but doable for many.  14 foot with a shield? The only people I can imagine seeing do that are the people I see when at the gym, you know, the kind that look like they are smuggling watermelons in their shirt sleeves.

I saw it in a movie, and did it a lot in a video game.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2011, 09:58:10 pm »
I saw it in a movie, and did it a lot in a video game.
not in this one at least. bamboo spear is 8 to 9 feet though. (Which is really sad that we don't have any shield/spear combos that look realistic. Closest being light lance :()
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:59:51 pm by Marathon »