Author Topic: Long spears aka pikes  (Read 32326 times)

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
Re: Long spears aka pikes
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:50 pm »
... Longspear is obviously balanced, yes, when you can go pike and outrange them! Wow! You must be somehow related to Fasader.

WOW you mean people cant shoot pikemen to bits? Or shielders can't facehug a pike? Why are you complaining, i just provided you with a melee counter to the long spear problem. Pike is useless in a real melee because of it's retarded length and no overhead, it is ONLY good for pike vs pike or pike vs cav. So i just provided you with a solution to the long spear epidemic and immediately you QQ about it, i imagine you're pretty good at warband but you need better metagame bro

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2011, 10:10:56 pm »
WOW you mean people cant shoot pikemen to bits? Or shielders can't facehug a pike? Why are you complaining, i just provided you with a melee counter to the long spear problem. Pike is useless in a real melee because of it's retarded length and no overhead, it is ONLY good for pike vs pike or pike vs cav. So i just provided you with a solution to the long spear epidemic and immediately you QQ about it, i imagine you're pretty good at warband but you need better metagame bro

You can shoot pikemen, just like you can shoot anyone else. You can facehug pikemen as a shielder just like you can facehug anyone. These are not counters.

And fighting lame with bigger lame isn't an option either.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:14:35 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2011, 10:19:39 pm »
You can shoot pikemen, just like you can shoot anyone else. You can facehug pikemen as a shielder just like you can facehug anyone. These are not counters.

And fighting lame with bigger lame isn't an option either.

you can shoot pikemen, BUT EVERYONE ELSE CAN CARRY A SHIELD/RANGE WEAPON

You can facehug everyone else, BUT SOMEONE WITH A PIKE IS WORSE BECAUSE OF 1 ATTACK DIRECTION

Apparently teamwork is lame, have you ever tried using a pike? Its the most useless fucking thing in a melee battle, but vs cav and vs longspear users its pretty much a hard counter, unless you're completely inept at warband. You can drop it after you're done with it, pulling out your real melee weapon to kill.

As a 2h, you can carry a fucking shield around to not get shot up, Pikemen are pretty much walking blobs of free kills for archers, while 2h can solo dodge/shield from arrow.

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player
  • Please respect all admins and thier decisions.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Solo
  • Game nicks: Lordark
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2011, 05:06:08 am »
Are we going to do the same for every 2her and polearm?  While making sure that 1hers never bounce at facehug range?

If so then I'd support your lobby.  Otherwise it's just some random bias.

If all weapons are 245 then I'd guess we'd all be happy eh Gorath?
Never forget the day Dragons came to Calradia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLxHJY0lQI&feature=related
My personal theme song, We will never surrender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1xqAjQ5e4

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2011, 06:38:54 am »
you can shoot pikemen, BUT EVERYONE ELSE CAN CARRY A SHIELD/RANGE WEAPON

You can facehug everyone else, BUT SOMEONE WITH A PIKE IS WORSE BECAUSE OF 1 ATTACK DIRECTION

Apparently teamwork is lame, have you ever tried using a pike? Its the most useless fucking thing in a melee battle, but vs cav and vs longspear users its pretty much a hard counter, unless you're completely inept at warband. You can drop it after you're done with it, pulling out your real melee weapon to kill.

As a 2h, you can carry a fucking shield around to not get shot up, Pikemen are pretty much walking blobs of free kills for archers, while 2h can solo dodge/shield from arrow.

Pffft, 2h just as pikemen have to invest in shield skill so they are equal there.

My issue with pikes is that on my 2h character I can pick a pike, stand behind friendlies and spin poke the enemy through friendly bodies and shieldes. This way I'm not even close to beeing in danger, whatsoever. Now, justify that with "1 attack direction" not to mention the polearm stun/stagger with a 300 length weapon and 24 pierce damage.

Is there a connection between 22nd being almost exclusively 2h and them also being the greatest complainers about long spear? :D

Lies! Go back to latvia you Rezekne.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:00:34 am by Siiem »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2011, 12:16:41 pm »
I Rēzekne? Naw, i'm not from around there, if that is what you meant...  :?

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2011, 12:29:01 pm »
I Rēzekne? Naw, i'm not from around there, if that is what you meant...  :?

Only latvian I could think about :(

Offline H4rdn3ssKill3r

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Crummy Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: naaaaaaaaaah
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »
+1

Lol... Arrogant lolstabbers using Shields?

Thats... just... crazy.
f8uasdlöadk blablablababa lbalba
^ Analogy of discussions on forums.

Offline Phalanx300

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2011, 02:37:49 pm »
Yes! At least give the Pike a "Upper" Stab:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Or just replace the ordinary stab with this. As this is how Pikeman fought with their pikes. Also well portrayed in Alatriste, just search on Youtube.

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2011, 04:01:30 pm »
Pffft, 2h just as pikemen have to invest in shield skill so they are equal there.

No, pikemen must drop their pike to use a shield. I do not have a problem with that, but they are not equal.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2011, 04:50:10 pm »
No, pikemen must drop their pike to use a shield. I do not have a problem with that, but they are not equal.

You're kidding right? Who said they were equal?

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2011, 04:58:07 pm »
You did?  :rolleyes:

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2011, 05:21:06 pm »
You did?  :rolleyes:

I said they were equal in the amount of dedication towards shields. I did not think I had to clarify it any further, however in this cantankerous place people will try and analyze whatever you write in a post to find a way to twist your words...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:23:51 pm by Siiem »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2011, 09:02:19 pm »

My issue with pikes is that on my 2h character I can pick a pike, stand behind friendlies and spin poke the enemy through friendly bodies and shieldes. This way I'm not even close to beeing in danger, whatsoever. Now, justify that with "1 attack direction" not to mention the polearm stun/stagger with a 300 length weapon and 24 pierce damage.

except pikemen can't use a shield in battle, lest they drop their pikes derp?

hah i can do that too with a long ass Halberd or other long polearms. The derp overhead isn't just a long spear phenomenon, nor is poking through people all that unrealistic (macedonian phalanx anyone?). In terms of game balance, lol yeah it makes a frontal charge competely stupid (as it should be, you have a shield/pike formation and you charge straight into pikes? derp), but it makes the formation inflexible. So a flank with 2h or high damage polearms would destroy this formation. Whenever i see smartasses try to do this, i drop my pike and flank.

In seiges, this is slightly more difficult, but if you have a crushthrough weapon lol...

This is war, and tactics plays just as an important role as the weapon and skill of the individual.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2011, 09:03:57 pm »
I said they were equal in the amount of dedication towards shields. I did not think I had to clarify it any further, however in this cantankerous place people will try and analyze whatever you write in a post to find a way to twist your words...

so your point is irrevelant because pikemen can't use shields in the first place derp.