Author Topic: Long spears aka pikes  (Read 32302 times)

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
Re: Long spears aka pikes
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2011, 04:33:54 pm »
only problem is ridiculous over heads through 5+ team mates to hit and pole stagger the enemy.
When I want to get an almost for sure multi I bring a long spear and tell the team to do so as well, don't even need proficiency just stand behind your team mates over heading and pole staggering enemies as soon as they open up to attack.
On siege this is even worse.(due to choke points) If you couldn't over head through how ever many team mates you want to hit the enemy and then pole stagger them the weapon wouldn't be so godly imo.

The pike is great, stabbing isn't really a problem, it's much harder to stab through team mates without hurting them then to over head through them magically.

so.. to conclude my rambling

Stabby stab stab is okay imo
but the magical overheads that ignore team mates are what make the weapon well.. magic.

IMO, get rid of over heads on the long spear, there are plenty of smaller stabby pole arms that to my knowledge don't effectively by pass team mates to strike enemies on the noggin.

just my opinion.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2011, 06:07:12 pm »
only problem is ridiculous over heads through 5+ team mates to hit and pole stagger the enemy.
When I want to get an almost for sure multi I bring a long spear and tell the team to do so as well, don't even need proficiency just stand behind your team mates over heading and pole staggering enemies as soon as they open up to attack.
On siege this is even worse.(due to choke points) If you couldn't over head through how ever many team mates you want to hit the enemy and then pole stagger them the weapon wouldn't be so godly imo.

The pike is great, stabbing isn't really a problem, it's much harder to stab through team mates without hurting them then to over head through them magically.

so.. to conclude my rambling

Stabby stab stab is okay imo
but the magical overheads that ignore team mates are what make the weapon well.. magic.

IMO, get rid of over heads on the long spear, there are plenty of smaller stabby pole arms that to my knowledge don't effectively by pass team mates to strike enemies on the noggin.

just my opinion.

Good call
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2011, 07:03:21 pm »
They're OP. Too easy to use. Seriously, with all the jumping and turning, and they're super fast...

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2011, 08:38:33 pm »
They're too fast... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rolleyes:
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2011, 09:45:19 pm »

And the 1000% better feints.

Nah. Polearm animations are easier to fuck up so it's really hard to see whether it's going to be a left or a right swing. 2h has the advantage of feinting with the stab. But hardly 1000% better, more like equal. Anyhow, with the current speed of cRPG, the feinting game is all about who can break the animations best so polearms have an advantage there...

They're OP. Too easy to use. Seriously, with all the jumping and turning, and they're super fast...

Exactly. Waaaaaay too easy to use for what they do. And if you're in their range, the stab is instant with a spin, just like 2h stab used to be.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2011, 10:39:23 pm »
I agree about the overhead through teammates.  Next warband patch really gonna solve it?

It makes my blood boil when people say lolstab though, thats not even a real thing and is furthermore a really gay word.  If its the 'pike wiggle' like the cheap_shot comic, ok, I see where you're coming from, but you can do that with a greatsword too.  You should see a big stick, a thrust chambered, a turned back, and expect it to be coming any instant.  You move your mouse downward and right click with the mouse.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2011, 01:03:41 am »
Definitely slow them down or some such. You can use them faster than most normal melee weapons and they are meant to be a support weapon. There are far to many people who get really good kills because of their speed.

To people who say learn to block. Against any good long spear user, they are fast enough that if you even get hit once, they can hit you again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and...wait I'm dead...

They don't give you a chance to block, not once. I know other weapons can be like this sometimes, but for some reason the long spear always gets me. No matter how fast I am or how well I block. And that's with my melee alts. Not even my HA with no melee wpf.

Plus they are a bitch for cavalry :P
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:05:26 am by Overdriven »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2011, 03:05:26 am »
+5
Why do I even bother posting in these threads, nobody reads what I end up typing.
I mean, they even ignored a post by walt.

For the last time, this notion that the stab is faster than everything else and hits for full damage is bullshit. If they hit fast, they glance for no damage. If they do the hold attack-while-spinning shit, then you can Just swing on them again and hit them. and, god forbid, the only block you'd have to do is downblock.

And ffs, here is a tip for all you guys talking about 'lolstabs'. When a longspearman does a turn stab, they have to have their weapon pointed away from you, to (your left) their right. [This is due to the pole arm stab originating on the right side of their character model.] If you Circle them CLOCKWISE, they have to continue to turn further to their right before they stab, otherwise it glances. So, due to them turning that far, as soon as they go into the attack animation, STEP COUNTERCLOCKWISE AND SWING. They can not hit you in time, you will hit first.
If they Jump away from you and do the 360-stab, If you are in range, your swing will hit first. If you are out of your weapon's range -- block. Every longer weapon can do the same distance control of jumping away and attacking to a shorter weapon.

Here is a simple order of operations for a 2h Fighting a pikeman.
1) Block. Longer weapons always get first attack. Gain ground on them.
1.5) If player jumps away and stabs again, block again while still gaining ground on them.
2) You are now in range of swinging on the pikeman, close gap and begin circling them clockwise. Closer the better.
3) Once close & Circling them clockwise, constantly swing. If they do an overhead, your swing will always hit them first. If they stab while not turned to their right, they will glance. If they begin a thrust while turned away, Step counter clockwise; Your swing will hit them first.
4) Victory.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:36:05 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2011, 05:12:05 am »
Your perceptive abilities marathon are incredibly sharp. I had no idea what to do unless you posted that guide. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtUpCZihfvU&feature=player_detailpage#t=62s
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:22:52 am by Siiem »

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2011, 05:21:55 pm »
+1
Congratulations you have been awarded worst Suggestion of 2011, please keep posting, remember your opinion is important even if it's stupid and QQ.

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2011, 06:31:18 pm »
Why do I even bother posting in these threads, nobody reads what I end up typing.

Block of text = no thanks, waste of time and effort. Keep your posts compact and conclusive, more people (including me) might read them.

Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2011, 06:41:39 pm »
Block of text = no thanks, waste of time and effort. Keep your posts compact and conclusive, more people (including me) might read them.

I like how in this day and age people are so hyperactive that three or four paragraphs on a forum (not a chat mind you, but a forum) is considered not compact...

Adorable...

Not everything can be said in three sentences...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2011, 07:41:46 pm »
+1
I like how in this day and age people are so hyperactive that three or four paragraphs on a forum (not a chat mind you, but a forum) is considered not compact...
Yup.  You have to remember that the majority of (and it's going to sound stereotypish) younger people have the attention span of an infant, and the ability to read/write of a pre-schooler. 
Four paragraphs is the equivalent of reading war and peace to them. 
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2011, 08:28:35 pm »
why do i see references to the length of war & peace everywhere but it's not that long. i expected it to be 6000 pages or something. disappoint.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop