Author Topic: An explanation on projectile spam  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
An explanation on projectile spam
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:51:48 pm »
First of all, it is not due to archers/xbows/throwers being OP. It is that there simply are lots of them.
Now, before you scream "THEN NERF THEM XD" you have to understand that it is just metagame. Basically, there is currently a fad on projectile users. There has been a fad on everything in the past, 2handers, 1handers, etc. Right now it is projectiles of all types.

So how do you get easy kills and counter the current metagame? You roll a shielder and just brutally rape them. After a while there are less projectile users and more melee crush through users to break shields etc., then it evens out into your beloved usual mix.

If you want to fix it because you don't like how it is, then start contributing to the fix yourself. I myself am having tons of fun with this right now so I could care less, I'll just kill stuff.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:53:25 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
Re: An explanation on projectile spam
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 02:40:02 am »
Nope. The reason is that WPF investment in a single category is now less efficient. The more WPF you invest in a single category grants you less returns the higher your WPF is so more than around 130-140 wpf isnt really worth it. This means that higher agility builds can now afford to have a decent wpf in 2 categories.

In other words, hybrids are more viable and so every melee player takes xbow or throwing as a secondary and can still be quite effective with it, even if they only use the lower tier projectiles.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:52:59 am »
Nope. The reason is that WPF investment in a single category is now less efficient. The more WPF you invest in a single category grants you less returns the higher your WPF is so more than around 130-140 wpf isnt really worth it. This means that higher agility builds can now afford to have a decent wpf in 2 categories.

In other words, hybrids are more viable and so every melee player takes xbow or throwing as a secondary and can still be quite effective with it, even if they only use the lower tier projectiles.

Honestly from a build perspective on a battlefield (not dueling) this has always made more sense.  Versatility.  Range + Melee has always been a more efficient build concept in battle scenarios than a guy that's a 2h spammer and that's it.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:54:07 am »
Honestly from a build perspective on a battlefield (not dueling) this has always made more sense.  Versatility.  Range + Melee has always been a more efficient build concept in battle scenarios than a guy that's a 2h spammer and that's it.

1h + spear was always decent concept in battle scenarios too.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 02:58:27 am »
1h + spear was always decent concept in battle scenarios too.

Well I wouldn't argue with you their either  :wink:

Biggest reason I gave up on my hoplite was the prevalence of people that knew how to downblock followed by an overhead with the lawler maul they carried in slot 2 next to their cookie/tears sword.    :lol:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 05:43:06 am »

I was talking to kesh on vent and he was saying the first 110 or so points seem not to do as much, but the points from then on seem to have a much bigger effect, and that points past 150 WPF are a HUGE improvement to accuracy.

However, I always have liked hybrids more. You do have a valid point that it has contributed to it, but everyone always had an xbow on their back.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:44:15 am by Marathon »
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:38:55 am »
I was talking to kesh on vent and he was saying the first 110 or so points seem not to do as much, but the points from then on seem to have a much bigger effect, and that points past 150 WPF are a HUGE improvement to accuracy.

However, I always have liked hybrids more. You do have a valid point that it has contributed to it, but everyone always had an xbow on their back.

Yeh, Im not sure how much this carries over melee wpf, but with archery the wpf difference between 140 and 170 is the same difference in draw speed as going from 1 to 100 and the randomness factor in shooting (stray arrows) almost completely disappeared.  Not sure if this is a compensation for the high cost or what, but I suddenly found my bow shooting like pre-patch at a far higher draw speed and more accurately.  Keeps making me have to readjust my ideal archer build.  Now starting to look for 15 str/24 agi (8 converted points) and use heirloomed khergit.  But with the new shoot speed changes, maybe a strong bow with 18/21, 7 weaponmaster at least though so can break 150 wpf.  Would love some patch notes....

Anyone else try this out and notice the same thing?  I have seen almost everyone with a strong bow, nomad bow, or khergit bow lately shooting very fast and accurately.

Oh and my 2 cents on the projectile spam - there will always be a lot of them as long as you can still rack up a lot of kills from a distance (just like there were a lot of cav as long as you could rack up kills with less personal risk and horse took damage first until heavy horses became very, very expensive to upkeep).  Cut damage in half of every ranged weapon (keep xbows same as they already are far rarer now with reduced damage and no powerdraw/throw boosting damage) , up the accuracy and make arrows back to piercing (tin cans shouldnt get special privileges) and everyone would have less to complain about, but probably still very common as still cheap tool to cause some damage before moving to melee.  If you want numbers of projectile users to decrease you would have to double the upkeep and then only dedicated people who used them to good effect would keep them OR you could cut draw speed in half of them all so half as many projectile flying through the air.

My personal choice would be double the upkeep as its still one of the cheapest routes to making money (unless you are the odd person that thinks you should have the benefit of killing people from a  distance and should still be able to wear plate armor).  Mya rcher character with 9.5 weight body armor and various bows was makign money hand over fist, little less with warbow and bodkins, but still gaining money, and with khergit gained very quickly.  My thrower same thing unless I wore heavy armor.  By doubling upkeep you would force archers to actually be lightly armed  like in the real life in the past (think green tunic or leather armor) and then if they want to use warbow/longbow they have to do it occassioanlly much like cavalry cant always ride their horse and the rest of the time have to use weaker bows.  Under this scenario there should be asharp differential between longbow/warbow and all other bows in shoot speed as right now strong bow same a swarbow but draw speed faster and only 3 less damage.  Decrease wealer bows shoot speeds by another 5 and increase warbow and longbow by 5 -10.  Maybe even increase those better bows by 2.5x for upkeep
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:56:35 am by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline TactiCol

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 07:19:19 am »
First of all, it is not due to archers/xbows/throwers being OP. It is that there simply are lots of them.
Now, before you scream "THEN NERF THEM XD" you have to understand that it is just metagame. Basically, there is currently a fad on projectile users. There has been a fad on everything in the past, 2handers, 1handers, etc. Right now it is projectiles of all types.

So how do you get easy kills and counter the current metagame? You roll a shielder and just brutally rape them. After a while there are less projectile users and more melee crush through users to break shields etc., then it evens out into your beloved usual mix.

If you want to fix it because you don't like how it is, then start contributing to the fix yourself. I myself am having tons of fun with this right now so I could care less, I'll just kill stuff.

Totally agree. I'm doing the same. Look out for the Forrest Gump Turtle on the hillsides with a strong appetite for archers blood. :)

Offline Beleidiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:07:01 am »

But wy wyyyy than everything get nerfed???I think its the wrong way to Nerf because ther are lots of em!

People should first try to fight an archer with his enemy nr. 1 Class to find out how strong he really is!
Not with an 2h warrior  running straight to him get shot and cry OP OP he must be nerved!

But if the Archer gets you down with his Nr. 1 Enemy Class than mayyyybe he was.....an good Archer!!

I am shit with my Archer especially with the new Patch i rack up TD and TK like hell!But heeee if my Shot speed is degreased take the TKs i am sorry but take it!

Maybe i have to learn it from new but i can deal with it!Nerf ahead!^^:p Just Kidding^^

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:09:45 am by Beleidiger »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 07:14:44 am »
imo more skill is needed for projectiles and spam should be less viable.

Offline Beleidiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 07:42:39 am »
The Problem is if you cant shoot ahead if an Opponent is in front of you especially i with a Shield you never will Kill em because you need a lot of Arrows do break his shield or get a shot around it!

Lets say you can shoot 5 arrows in a row than you need to rest how you will beat him than if the 5 arrows away??Ok i have an Hybrid Archer but not everyone have 1!

And Forcing People to make him Hybrid is just lame!

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 08:12:38 am »
The Problem is if you cant shoot ahead if an Opponent is in front of you especially i with a Shield you never will Kill em because you need a lot of Arrows do break his shield or get a shot around it!

Lets say you can shoot 5 arrows in a row than you need to rest how you will beat him than if the 5 arrows away??Ok i have an Hybrid Archer but not everyone have 1!

And Forcing People to make him Hybrid is just lame!
Ok, What? Archers are supposed to lose to shielders.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 10:31:33 am »
Forcing ppl to make hybrid...

Then why ppl have to grab a shield (nd put some skill point in it) to protect themself from arrows spam...
 Or why inf have to grab a pike to protect from horses...

Offline AssPunisher

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 11:56:32 am »
Yeh, Im not sure how much this carries over melee wpf, but with archery the wpf difference between 140 and 170 is the same difference in draw speed as going from 1 to 100 and the randomness factor in shooting (stray arrows) almost completely disappeared.  Not sure if this is a compensation for the high cost or what, but I suddenly found my bow shooting like pre-patch at a far higher draw speed and more accurately.  Keeps making me have to readjust my ideal archer build.  Now starting to look for 15 str/24 agi (8 converted points) and use heirloomed khergit.  But with the new shoot speed changes, maybe a strong bow with 18/21, 7 weaponmaster at least though so can break 150 wpf.  Would love some patch notes....

Anyone else try this out and notice the same thing?  I have seen almost everyone with a strong bow, nomad bow, or khergit bow lately shooting very fast and accurately.

Its not just high WPF. I've had 140WPF in archery for almost two weeks now (STR15/AGI24) and there was still too much randomness involved. I've already complained about randomness factor mostly working in our favour (because of high WPF) then letting us down in critical moments regardless of our perfect aim. The recet fix minimized this randomness, at least at high WPF, and it feels more reliable now. Yesterday, I finaly hit lvl 31 (WPF 151) but until I retire I won't comment on randomness at low WPF.

Regarding draw speed, at 151WPF + Strong bow its satisfying but I don't feel it is as fast as before the big patch when I had +200WPF in archery, I might be wrong though.

Besides this is a quote from chadz on the recent fix...

It is an experiment, it might get reverted again, but it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

The idea is that archery should not get nerfed by decreasing damage or increasing randomness, but should take more skill to handle. Bows should no longer be lasersighted sniper rifles, but you will have to lead your targets and take the trajectory more into account.

If it will not get reverted, bows might get more accuracy or more damage to compensate, we'll wait and see how it turns out.

(Oh and this was my idea)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:00:51 pm by AssPunisher »

Offline Beleidiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 02:30:11 pm »
Ok, What? Archers are supposed to lose to shielders.

Not in every case but an pure archer against an turtle hmm if he gets close the chances are bad!

Forcing ppl to make hybrid...

Then why ppl have to grab a shield (nd put some skill point in it) to protect themself from arrows spam...
 Or why inf have to grab a pike to protect from horses...

Hmmm they dont need to!The Problem is the Team acting Shielder have to protect non Shielder Archers have to stay back behind Siegeshields Pikers have to kill Horses so everyone have to stay close but they dont do!

This Game is based (And Real war too) on an Tactical attack  were everyone does his Job but its just Chaos out there!And that never would work without TS or somthing

Read this!

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,1220.0.html