Poll

Is weight of shields OK?

Yes, a Kite shield need to have the same weight as a great maul. :-P
23 (51.1%)
No. Shields weight should be lighter.
22 (48.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Weight of shields.  (Read 2453 times)

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
Weight of shields.
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:30:22 pm »
It's a suggestion to talk about weight of shields. Now, IMO, shields have more weight than it would have. I noticed that when I was talking about Great & Long Maul in my last post. http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,12411.msg175192.html#msg175192

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Shields are made of wooden and iron reinforcements. Shields have to be lighter because you have to carry them with a hand. Do you imagine something swinging a great maul with one hand? So.. how hell can a soldier stand up with a shield of 12.5!!! weight. I heard a lot of people talking about 1h is difficult without reason. For example on this post. http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,12208.0.html The thing that happen is they don't notice that are slower and have shorters weapon so it's too easy to spam dancing around a shielder guy hitting and getting outranged by backpedalling with high agi builds and larger weapons like toptier 2h swords. And it don't mean that 2handers is faster. NO! It mean that you cant hit a guy if he is out of range!

Being a shielder mean that you are forced to go on light equipment and you have to get a high weight penalty from your shield. Why? I can't accept that a wooden shield have the same weight as a great maul!

Another example. A wooden shield have the same weight as a Great Long Bardiche! :-)
Don't make me laugh!

No. That is unfair.

It's not reasonable. It's a simple suggestion. I accept that some shields need to be two-slots. But, IMO, weight is excessive.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:38:10 pm by El_Infante »

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Weight of shields.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:05:43 pm »
have you ever held a full size shield? i'm not talkin bout a buckler, but them things is heavy.
not to mention that shields are extremely useful tools, no need for directional block and also stops projectiles.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:09:21 pm by Wookimonsta »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:13:38 pm »
+1
have you ever held a full size shield? i'm not talkin bout a buckler, but them things is heavy.
not to mention that shields are extremely useful tools, no need for directional block and also stops projectiles.

Ofc, and forced to have a lower dmg / lower reach weapon. While the hugher 2h and polearms damage have 46/47cut and a average of 40-42 dmg, the average dmg of a 1hander is 30/31 cut. While I have a 90-100 reach, you have a 120-170.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 03:17:11 pm »
Ofc, and forced to have a lower dmg / lower reach weapon. While the hugher 2h and polearms damage have 46/47cut and a average of 40-42 dmg, the average dmg of a 1hander is 30/31 cut. While I have a 90-100 reach, you have a 120-170.

yep, but 2h are a natural counter to them shielders. Keep in mind 2handers can't just block arrows and if someone swings at us we actually have to actively block in the right direction. Once you master dodging arrows and manual block, you can shed your shield and join the ranks of 2h too.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:24:42 pm »
+1
yep, but 2h are a natural counter to them shielders. Keep in mind 2handers can't just block arrows and if someone swings at us we actually have to actively block in the right direction. Once you master dodging arrows and manual block, you can shed your shield and join the ranks of 2h too.
Yeah, 2h is the elite class for pro players and shielders only have to right click and they're invincible and as a matter of course you don't need any kind of skill to be good as a shielder...  :rolleyes:

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 03:25:44 pm »
Yeah, 2h is the elite class for pro players and shielders only have to right click and they're invincible and as a matter of course you don't need any kind of skill to be good as a shielder...  :rolleyes:

well i was being a bit sarcastic at the end there, i guess that didn't come across. My point is, being 2h is more difficult, as it is less forgiving to mistakes.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 03:28:15 pm »
Erm, shields are the counter to 2hand. (protection and short weapon for good close combat performance vs no cover and long weapon with shitty  close combat performance)
They have just a strong lobby.

Anyway, shield weight was doubled to counter the huscarl shield turtels and slow them down even more.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 03:29:36 pm »
well i was being a bit sarcastic at the end there, i guess that didn't come across. My point is, being 2h is more difficult, as it is less forgiving to mistakes.

2h is not more difficult. And yes I've played both.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 03:36:54 pm »
For me, being able to kill everyone in 1 or 2 hits and have superior range doesn't make 2h a more difficult class.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 03:41:21 pm »
For me, being able to kill everyone in 1 or 2 hits and have superior range doesn't make 2h a more difficult class.

yes, but once again, being completly open to all ranged and having to manual block DOES.
If a shielder with a huscarl faces more than one opponent, he just has to hold right click and maybe turn towards his opponents, a 2h has to actually block all their attacks.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 03:47:48 pm »
It's just different, 2h are offensive, shielders are defensive, you can't have all advantage in one class.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 03:48:53 pm »
+1
yes, but once again, being completly open to all ranged and having to manual block DOES.
If a shielder with a huscarl faces more than one opponent, he just has to hold right click and maybe turn towards his opponents, a 2h has to actually block all their attacks.

Shielder requires more strikes to kill most players, they can't out spam most 2h, blind spots are easy to reach against most enemies because of the shield weight.

It's far easier to get more kills as 2h than as shield. Trust me.

Have you really tried shielder? They are certainly not easier than 2h.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 03:48:59 pm »
Those weights are in to make sure having a shield isn't a bonus troughout.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 03:54:31 pm »
Shielder requires more strikes to kill most players, they can't out spam most 2h, blind spots are easy to reach against most enemies because of the shield weight.

It's far easier to get more kills as 2h than as shield. Trust me.

Have you really tried shielder? They are certainly not easier than 2h.

if you are trying to fight like a 2h, of course you are gonna fail. 2h is a mainly offensive class, shielder is defensive, so of course 2h is going to get more kills. A characters value on the battlefield is not measured solely by kills.
a shielder has the ability to BLOCK ALL PROJECTILES SHOT AT HIM. Shielders have a much better chance of survivability and are more useful in a team melee situation if played properly. Also shielders are great for moving into areas where there are lots of enemies such as getting on a wall and disrupting the defenders there.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 04:00:28 pm »
Shield weight protects against maulers, ykno.