Author Topic: Current Upkeep System Doesn't Belong In C-RPG  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
Re: Upkeep System Doesn't Belong In C-RPG
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 11:58:22 am »
I played before Upkeep and I didn't complain, it was good easy fun as it should be. All Upkeep is, is a huge setback which is unfriendly to new players. I know there's no upkeep below level 25 in generation 1, but even if you have money piled up you will slowly lose it over time if you attempt even decent equipment. Sometimes attempting to command my team doesn't work, because the game also heavily relies on stats and equipment, something the opposite team may be superior in regardless. Loss is inevitable sometimes, and for this I blame the auto-balance. But the auto-balance only adds fuel to the fire that is Upkeep.

I don't understand you, you said you don't want a game that relies on equipment but you don't want upkeep?

Illogical, so or you are dumb or you are a troll, in both case i have no hope for you!

I'm out! have a nice day sir.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:59:55 am by Blondin »

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 12:17:39 pm »
I don't understand you, you said you don't want a game that relies on equipment but you don't want upkeep?

Illogical, so or you are dumb or you are a troll, in both case i have no hope for you!

I'm out! have a nice day sir.
Stop putting words in my mouth. I don't want Upkeep, but C-RPG can use a different system to balance equipment.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:19:36 pm by Draulius »

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 12:24:25 pm »
Upkeep works perfectly well.

Not how YOU want it to work, but well enough. It gives new players and low level players a Chance, which was more then they had pre upkeep.

Just out of curiosity, what are you wearing that makes you quit the game all the time?
Monkeys!

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 01:20:08 pm »
Upkeep works perfectly well.

Not how YOU want it to work, but well enough. It gives new players and low level players a Chance, which was more then they had pre upkeep.

Just out of curiosity, what are you wearing that makes you quit the game all the time?

My gear is worth 31k. I'd be fine if I didn't always get bad teams. High multipliers for me are once in a blue moon. I hate the reliance of luck with the new system. That's what ruins it for me.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:23:04 pm by Draulius »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 01:25:11 pm »
This guy is a "trolling" moron. Refer to "Cavalry still overpowered" thread.

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 01:29:49 pm »
This guy is a "trolling" moron. Refer to "Cavalry still overpowered" thread.
That's rather presumptuous of you. I'm trying to have a good discussion about the balance of this game and you come and insult me! I should report you now...

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 02:21:38 pm »
That's rather presumptuous of you. I'm trying to have a good discussion about the balance of this game and you come and insult me! I should report you now...

Scary :P

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 03:20:09 pm »
Scary :P
You're next, pal! Stop spamming my interesting discussion with off-topic trash!

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 03:31:56 pm »
+1
You're next, pal! Stop spamming my interesting discussion with off-topic trash!

I made a solid argument in the other thread...and btw I can already tell you what chadz and co answer to you would be. But seeing as you're clueless:

First of all, I don't care if people think it's a grinding game or not. For me, it isn't. If everyone except me plays to grind, I'm still happy with it, because I'm not bothered with it. I can play and have fun. It's a sandbox game, you can do whatever you like and is possible within the rules. We define the rules.

The majority is fine with the upkeep. It is, as always, a loud minority that tries to lobby.

I know you are upset, because you cannot afford the best equipment possible anymore. Or at least not all of the time. But I have to tell you, that was never intended. It is a bug, if you will.

People got so used to wearing the most expensive stuff all the time. It was our fault for not dealing with this earlier, because this is not how we want to see our game go. While we are not that much into reality in detail, we want to preserve a "global realism". And as many people have stated, wars and skirmishes weren't fought by platers, it was fought by poor people. Before the latest patch, I was wearing everything. I had high end armor, even gauntlets, an occasional horse, a big ass polearm and a secondary polearm that was faster. And I was still earning money.

This was not intended. I'd say it's different now (it isn't really because the upkeep increase was like 5 to 10% from the previous cost), but our idea is that you have to make a choice. Go for armor strength or for weapon strenght. Not both. If you want both, pay for it.

So, we know many of the choices are not popular. I understand it. But you have to understand we are not here to please the community first and foremost. We don't get paid, the reason we're doing is is because we want to create a game WE want to play.

So I will tell you how we decide what stays and what goes:
Would the feature/balance change make the game better if there was a wipe tomorrow. If all players would just start tomorrow and haven't played the game before. Would you, if you would have never heard of the mod, the game, be like "what, your average gear is now only (x) gold? This game would be much better if it were (x*1.1) gold!". I doubt it. (Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question)

That's what we think when doing changes. Not if it pisses off the current community. Of course this often does not work with how the game currently works. People got used to what they can wear, and they are defending this. It's understandable, really. But not what we thrive for.

This is a beta. Of a mod. People forget that because the community is pretty big, and that's cool, really. But just trying to halt developement because you got settled with the old rules is not going to help anyone. This isn't a promotional beta, it's a REAL beta. This means things changes. If you can't adapt and wait for us to screen the results to see if the changes are good for the game or not, this game won't make you happy. Because this definately wasn't the last change.

Also, we are currently considering removing upkeep for players < Gen1Level25.

Tl;dr:
give us some time to valuate how it works out.

That on topic enough for ya?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »
Here, have a couple more quotes.

Why upkeep was increased:
Upkeep was increased because there is now a way to influence it with personal skill, thus resulting in a higher multiplicator for better players.

Also, we wanted to see lower priced equipment in general.

Good players adapt, weak players lobby.  :wink:

edit:Gold is one of many variables in items. Many items are better than what they cost, but the overall stats are weaker. Which is interesting.

Why the old way of no upkeep was discarded;
Of course not everyone was having heavy armor. Not yet. But every day some people got to the "endgame" stage. More and more people were leaving the game because it was just boring the shit out of most people. Grind grind grind, buy armor, grind grind grind, buy weapon, etc etc. To be a tincan it didn't matter if you were good or had skills or wit or whatever. You just had to play for 1000 hours. Woah, great goal there, really.

I can assure you, without upkeep, cRPG would have been dead by now. Running around as an unstoppable tincan sounds like fun. Until you are forced to do it to keep up with the others.

End result?
Wear cheaper gear until you get good enough to infuence battles enough (or earn the "Thy Valour Has Been Rewarded" text regularly) to wear better gear.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:56:32 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 04:55:09 pm »
Upkeep System Doesn't Belong In C-RPG.

No, you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 05:01:10 pm »
No, you.
Aaand, reported.

@everyoneelse

Please formulate your own opinion and try to contribute to the discussion, instead of copy-pasting Chad. Thank you. He's considering changing it for a reason, because there are problems with it and that's why I'm bringing them up now.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:02:41 pm by Draulius »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 05:02:18 pm »
Aaand, reported.

:lol: Troll...

Like that you didn't reply to the other stuff.

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 05:02:55 pm »
:lol: Troll
You're on the highway to getting banned, spammer.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 05:03:25 pm »
You're on the highway to getting banned, spammer.

You never replied to the chadz quotes which me and Tears posted. Now who's spamming?

And you said he's considering changing it. chadz never said that...he said it's here to stay but they will tweak it. Your suggestion was to remove it completely, which chadz has said multiple times is not going to happen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:05:41 pm by Overdriven »