Author Topic: Current Upkeep System Doesn't Belong In C-RPG  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Current Upkeep System Doesn't Belong In C-RPG
« on: August 02, 2011, 05:54:22 am »
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:10:50 pm by Draulius »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Upkeep System Doesn't Belong In C-RPG
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:17:10 am »
+2
You can sustain 23 k per multiplier in the long run, and your average is about 1.9

I don't understand how people are having problems...

I start gen 1 characters all the time, yet I have no problem getting my ideal gear and sustaining it once I hit level 30...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:36:14 am »
Good for you. Now back to the REAL discussion ...

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:00:22 am »
I don't understand how people are having problems...

You have to remember that this is still entirely luck.  Averages are great and all, but they also mean that someone is running around for 10 rounds without a single piece of his black armor/plated charger combo breaking ever.

On the other side, the gen 1 newbie who just bought tunic over mail had it, his weapon, his gloves and his shield all break in the last 5 rounds causing him to go bankrupt.

And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 07:03:40 am »
Newbie should not be living a paycheck-to-paycheck life style as it is risky just like real life...

Always have a reserve of 30K or more... 50K if cav...

Not that hard to amass, especially since newbies no longer pay upkeep if Gen 1 and 25th level or lower...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 07:07:41 am »
Newbie should not be living a paycheck-to-paycheck life style as it is risky just like real life...

Always have a reserve of 30K or more... 50K if cav...

Not that hard to amass, especially since newbies no longer pay upkeep if Gen 1 and 25th level or lower...
Not everyone was around when you didn't have to pay Upkeep below level 25. Plus, even if you did stack up cash, it will slowly lower overtime until you're back where you started. Then you're forced to use low-tier gear for a while...definitely not fun. RPG's are about advancing your character, not going back and fourth to avoid random bill payments as a poor excuse for 'balance'.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:09:25 am by Draulius »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 07:09:32 am »
Not everyone was around when you didn't have to pay Upkeep below level 25. Plus, even if you did stack up cash, it will slowly lower overtime until you're back where you started. Then you're forced to use low-tier gear for a while...definitely not fun. RPG's are about advancing your character, not going back and fourth to avoid random bill payments.

Then I must be the luckiest son of a bitch to ever walk c-RPG for all 13 of my characters never had money problems and still they sustain up to 38K worth of gear (Just played my Tears_of_Revelations character earlier with Poleaxe, Barbutte, Black coat of plates, Black Wisby Gauntlets, Light Strange boots, started with 36K dipped to 33K and ended the night at 40K)...

EDIT: Tell me exactly what you are trying to use, and what your gold reserve is ideally, and if you play Siege more often or if you play Battle or if you play DtV. You are doing something wrong or have higher expectations then the game is geared for... c-RPG is not supposed to have nothing but plate users as this is supposed to be a medieval skirmish not a bunch of knights beating each other up where you see someone in plate and say "meh, okay big whoop everyone has that."
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:22:28 am by Tears_of_Destiny »

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 07:26:48 am »
+2

Then I must be the luckiest son of a bitch to ever walk c-RPG for all 13 of my characters never had money problems and still they sustain up to 38K worth of gear (Just played my Tears_of_Revelations character earlier with Poleaxe, Barbutte, Black coat of plates, Black Wisby Gauntlets, Light Strange boots, started with 36K dipped to 33K and ended the night at 40K)...

EDIT: Tell me exactly what you are trying to use, and what your gold reserve is ideally, and if you play Siege more often or if you play Battle or if you play DtV. You are doing something wrong or have higher expectations then the game is geared for... c-RPG is not supposed to have nothing but plate users as this is supposed to be a medieval skirmish not a bunch of knights beating each other up where you see someone in plate and say "meh, okay big whoop everyone has that."

I thing people forget being in a faction helps a shitton in gaining gold. If I were factionless, I would throw on the banner of a successful clan to piggy back off their multipliers.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 07:32:33 am »

I thing people forget being in a faction helps a shitton in gaining gold. If I were factionless, I would throw on the banner of a successful clan to piggy back off their multipliers.

Tears_of_Revelations uses a Yellow Bear banner as she is clanless... though I admit for her entire first generation and most of this one she used The Scorpion Banner which helped for obvious reasons...
But yes, you do have a very good point that clans do generate higher income then normal... Interesting, considering so much of c-RPG is built to support them.

My point still stands though...

My STR One Hander who has ALWAYS used the Teutonic Banner (which is unheard of on the NA community so I can't piggy back on anyone) has a Winged Great Helm, Heraldic Mail with Tabard (the most expensive one), Arabian Cavalry Sword, either a Knightly Heater Shield or a Heavy heater Shield, Mail Chausses and Mail Mittens... Still made enough money (using the system before free upkeep for low levels) to amass to not only sustain but ALSO buy a better set for me to swap out for high multipliers of X3 or higher (Shynbaulds, Gilded Hourglass Gauntlets and Heraldic Transitional Armour)... In his "default" style he still has great gear and looks pretty damn cool to boot. Gen 1 btw, and only level 27 at the moment...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:33:35 am by Tears_of_Destiny »

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 07:59:15 am »
Reminds me of the teutonic knight from Age of Empires 2, heheh

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 10:23:03 am »

Works to a certain degree. Although I must say siege games are loads of fun when there's 2 or more clans around with more than 5 members.
Had a few matches with Fallen vs HRE, Greys vs Risen and more stuff like that. Makes it all that more interesting.
BUT, sometimes they get stacked and you have an HRE/Greys vs random comp and you roll a x5 for a while.

Get's really interesting when there's just 1 clan on the server and you can piggy back ride a x5 for hours on end.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 10:57:15 am »
I'm wearing mid-end gear and losing money due to the teams I get. It's a 50/50 chance you'll have a team that wins, but even when you DO the multiplier doesn't last long. You lose money because you happen to be on a worse team, and that's not your fault, so in the end it just feels really unfair. Sometimes you just have to leave the game, and that's a sign of a poorly implemented feature. I decide to put time into this server and I get punished for it, that's ironic. Randomness is the basis of this entire system, so it's the inaccuracy of that which makes it fail. With this damned upkeep I can never just relax and have fun, it's always breathing down my neck when I try to play.

That's why your story with C-RPG is entirely different from mine. It's not my inexperience, it's just LUCK.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:03:39 am by Draulius »

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:50 am »
Yeah, from the start I was going to argue with you, but it's obvious it wont do any good, so I'll simply say:

Adapt.

L2P.
Monkeys!

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 11:45:36 am »
It's obvious that you don't see the entire mechanic in his global view, you failled to understand the interest of upkeep, if there was no upkeep you will be crying in the forum that it's unfair because veteran pwn your ass with their plate armor, plate charger and uber weapons.

Did you play before upkeep?
if not, then you have nothing to compare and you should learn form veteran that told you that upkeep is good.
Since gen 1 under lvl25 don't pay upkeep anymore, there is really no reason to cry about upkeep.

You speak about luck, but you should learn how to create luck, try to lead your team to victory, for example when you play siege don't stay on the wall meanwhile attackers are at your flag, warm other ppl to go back to flag, etc... when you are in battle, stay in the group and keep the front line, don't go in the open to be rape by cav... luck is luck but you can do things that give you more luck to achieve victory, i don't say it's easy, i don't say it works all the time.

It's the minority that whine about upkeep, majority find upkeep to be the best thing happend in cRPG.

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 11:54:41 am »
It's obvious that you don't see the entire mechanic in his global view, you failled to understand the interest of upkeep, if there was no upkeep you will be crying in the forum that it's unfair because veteran pwn your ass with their plate armor, plate charger and uber weapons.

Did you play before upkeep?
if not, then you have nothing to compare and you should learn form veteran that told you that upkeep is good.
Since gen 1 under lvl25 don't pay upkeep anymore, there is really no reason to cry about upkeep.

You speak about luck, but you should learn how to create luck, try to lead your team to victory, for example when you play siege don't stay on the wall meanwhile attackers are at your flag, warm other ppl to go back to flag, etc... when you are in battle, stay in the group and keep the front line, don't go in the open to be rape by cav... luck is luck but you can do things that give you more luck to achieve victory, i don't say it's easy, i don't say it works all the time.

It's the minority that whine about upkeep, majority find upkeep to be the best thing happend in cRPG.
I played before Upkeep and I didn't complain, it was good easy fun as it should be. All Upkeep is, is a huge setback which is unfriendly to new players. I know there's no upkeep below level 25 in generation 1, but even if you have money piled up you will slowly lose it over time if you attempt even decent equipment. Sometimes attempting to command my team doesn't work, because the game also heavily relies on stats and equipment, something the opposite team may be superior in regardless. Loss is inevitable sometimes, and for this I blame the auto-balance. But the auto-balance only adds fuel to the fire that is Upkeep.