Author Topic: 1h shield is too difficult at the moment  (Read 18399 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: 1h shield is too difficult at the moment
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 07:07:05 am »
+5
Holy shit!  The lord of fail hath returned?!

Now all the new blood can behold the worst warband player in the entirety of it's existance (beta until current).  Look upon him and despair younglings, for the fail is strong with this one.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 09:15:15 pm »
+2
Michael says the same thing everytime he boots up cRPG. "Set sail for fail" :mrgreen:

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 06:22:05 am »
+3
Michael says the same thing everytime he boots up cRPG. "Set sail for fail" :mrgreen:

Indeed sir, indeed.  I imagine this is what runs through his mind every time he clicks submit post:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Barbas

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • Great President of Hell
    • View Profile
Re: 2h/pole is too easy at the moment
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 05:21:41 pm »
+4
I am intelligent, handsome, have a job, money,

I don't understand.. generally people work at jobs because they need money, so why would you need a job if you already have money?  lol @ poorpeoples

Anyway - still, I have to admit that being a shield/1her is actually pretty hard, or so it seems to me.  Now, I'm pretty bad.  I'm probably worse than this Michael fellow, even though I've played for quite a long time.  But I'm on a balanced shielder build right now, and I get far, far more kills using a good long polearm - and I mean now on this build, with no wpf in polearm.

But probably that's how it should be.  Shield/1h is a defensive build.  I can't get many kills having so very little power.. not to mention short range, and much less speed than I'd expected.  But when my goal is to survive longer, it's pretty swell.  I can do things like jump into a bunch of enemies from a siege ladder, turtle over into a corner, and distract a big group of them while my teammates get up there.  Or raise my shield and open the castle gate even whilst enemies are swarming the gatehouse. 

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:22:51 pm by Barbas »

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 08:06:46 am »
+2
I don't understand.. generally people work at jobs because they need money, so why would you need a job if you already have money?  lol @ poorpeoples

Anyway - still, I have to admit that being a shield/1her is actually pretty hard, or so it seems to me.  Now, I'm pretty bad.  I'm probably worse than this Michael fellow, even though I've played for quite a long time.  But I'm on a balanced shielder build right now, and I get far, far more kills using a good long polearm - and I mean now on this build, with no wpf in polearm.

But probably that's how it should be.  Shield/1h is a defensive build.  I can't get many kills having so very little power.. not to mention short range, and much less speed than I'd expected.  But when my goal is to survive longer, it's pretty swell.  I can do things like jump into a bunch of enemies from a siege ladder, turtle over into a corner, and distract a big group of them while my teammates get up there.  Or raise my shield and open the castle gate even whilst enemies are swarming the gatehouse.

Until your face is turned into a pancake from a great maul.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 08:17:32 am »
+2
As expected, another shit post from Michael.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 09:26:28 am »
+2

if u die to a great maul u deserved to die
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Barbas

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • Great President of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 02:57:30 pm »
+3

But the point of jumping into the horde of enemies from a siege ladder and trying to turtle your way off into a corner isn't to live forever - it's to draw a bunch of enemies away from the top of the ladder long enough for the teammates behind you to break through.  Doesn't always work, but it works a heck of a lot more than doing it without a shield - even in lordly plate armor, that doesn't usually turn out well. 

Anyway, the point is that 'doing well' as a shielder doesn't necessarily mean getting the most kills; it's suited for supportive roles, and when used well can be tremendously helpful.  But it definitely is not easy to be a shielder in any sense, and particularly when people mean it is easy to achieve a good kdr with it.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 04:03:24 pm »
+2
But the point of jumping into the horde of enemies from a siege ladder and trying to turtle your way off into a corner isn't to live forever - it's to draw a bunch of enemies away from the top of the ladder long enough for the teammates behind you to break through.  Doesn't always work, but it works a heck of a lot more than doing it without a shield - even in lordly plate armor, that doesn't usually turn out well. 

Anyway, the point is that 'doing well' as a shielder doesn't necessarily mean getting the most kills; it's suited for supportive roles, and when used well can be tremendously helpful.  But it definitely is not easy to be a shielder in any sense, and particularly when people mean it is easy to achieve a good kdr with it.

It's easy to get a good kd ratio as a shielder on siege servers. I was sporting 3:1 from level 25 and up. If I can do it, others can do it just as well and even better.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 04:04:44 pm »
+2
I think on a siege server it is easy to get a good K/D ratio with any class, considering how suicidal and non-observant people get on that.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 04:13:58 pm »
+1
It's easy to get a good kd ratio as a shielder on siege servers.

Found the important part of your post, lol.

I think on a siege server it is easy to get a good K/D ratio with any class, considering how suicidal and non-observant people get on that.

^This

Siege is the toxic waste dumping grounds of cRPG.  Skill not required.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 04:22:17 pm »
Personally I find it a bit harder to get a good kd ratio with a horseman on the siege servers :P

For me, the difference between siege servers and the battle servers is the wait between deaths. Kd-wise it's fairly even for me.

Siege is the toxic waste dumping grounds of cRPG.  Skill not required.

Could be, but as a 2h you're likely to get shot due to the relatively high amount of projectiles flying around. Going up ladders and the like makes you an nice target for practice. The melee fights tend to be easier, but trying to get there alive is a bit harder imo.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 08:34:18 pm »
+1

No. You can play as a shielder having a decent K:D ratio. Im not one of the best shielders, but I know what I am talking about. If you want to be a decent shielder, you have to ways:
- Agi build with blunt/piercing weapons (facehugger) like: 12/24 with crossbow, 15/24 (with 3WM is enough) or 18/21.
- Str build with LONG (repeat) LONG swords. 27/12 (like me; ofc you have to use a plate covered round shield), 24/15, or 21/15 (I dont like that build), as Drazic said remember, your shield is your armor.

You only need some skills and learn who you can fight and who you can not.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 09:11:24 pm »
+2
Indeed sir, indeed.  I imagine this is what runs through his mind every time he clicks submit post:

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Karmazyn

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2011, 12:38:29 am »
To play as 1h shield is no fun, even lamhban complained about it all the time in the recorded battle union against pillagers.
The guy, who test it, has ping 10 and test it on level 20 players on siege server with ping 80.

Problem:

1. 1h is a bit too slow with shield and without (no reason to use 1h pure)
2. At same time 1h swords lack damage power (1h - 30 dmg while 2h - 40 dmg = 4 ps difference)
3. Heavy weight of shields slow you down so much that shielders get very often outmaneuvered.
4. Width of shields is too small thats why shielders get hit through the side of the shield (the model seems to be bigger)
5. Slow game speed allow to block forever while shields have low hp and thats why are easy to break
6. Shields cost too much thats why in strategus people use level 1-3 shields only

Solution:

+1 speed for 1h swords
+2 dmg for 1h swords
- 2 dmg for 1h maces and picks
+2 width for shields
+2 speed for shield
- 2 weight of shield

Optional:

No block ability and no overheads for weapons over 2m
- 2 dmg for bec
-20 Accuracy for crossbows
- 2 dmg for 2h
- 2 dmg for 2h mace
Bastard and heavy bastard sword 1 slot
Some sort of horse nerf like damage after each bump.

Si Deus Nobiscum quis contra nos